• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mount Rushmore of Monuments

Kory

Reaction score
is mount rushmore even on the mount rushmore of monuments/designed landmarks

I prefer natural ones...

Bears-ears-780x452.png

is mount rushmore even on the mount rushmore of monuments/designed landmarks

It's pretty underwhelming in person, honestly. And given the problematic history of a bunch of white dudes being carved into sacred Lakota land, I'm gonna say no.

off the top of my head

stonehenge
colosseum
pyramids (south american)
parthenon (the stolen parts, esp.)

Taj Mahal (real not Trump) and Angkor Wat prob on there. Arc de Triomphe. Sagrada Familia maybe.

D Day Memorial in Bedford, VA is a greatly under-rated memorial. Best US memorials or monuments:
Gateway Arch
The Wall
Arlington National Cemetery

I prefer natural ones...

Bears-ears-780x452.png

Bears Ears is on there. I would add Devils Tower, Dinosaur, and Grand Staircase-Escalante, but I haven't been to all of the monuments. Alaska has a few that would probably break into a Rushmore.

The monument you add to a city in the Civilization series. Really helps get you a culture boost.

It's pretty underwhelming in person, honestly. And given the problematic history of a bunch of white dudes being carved into sacred Lakota land, I'm gonna say no.

I will disagree with the first sentence. I especially like the views from the Iron Mountain Road. No argument with the rest, although many of the monuments listed below probably will have been built by slave labor.

I will disagree with the first sentence. I especially like the views from the Iron Mountain Road. No argument with the rest, although many of the monuments listed below probably will have been built by slave labor.

Fair enough. I did see it at the tail end of a trip and it followed Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Jasper, and Waterton Lakes so anything was probably gonna be underwhelming at that point.

Fair enough. I did see it at the tail end of a trip and it followed Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Jasper, and Waterton Lakes so anything was probably gonna be underwhelming at that point.

It is nothing special compared to natural beauty.

We took a three week road trip to Yosemite, Sequoia, Crater Lake, and other places. On the way back home I thought I would make a long detour by the Grand Canyon. Not a real visit. More like a Clark Griswold drive by. I had been before but my wife and kids had not. I thought they could at least see it and we could take an actual visit in the future. By that time the daughter didn’t even want to get out of the car. The wife was like, meh. I am thinking, this is the fucking Grand Canyon. They were numb to everything by then. We’ve never been back.

Back