• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Opting Out At UGA

I love Newman and have always defended him. He gave Wake everything he had and more. He was a part of some big wins for us.

Having said all of that, does he have something against us? Was there any bad blood I'm unaware of? Surprised he didn't at least mention us in his announcement even if he's opting out from another program. IDK, maybe I'm off.

Sorry to see it not work out for him at UGA. Best of luck to him in the future and hope to see him play again somewhere someday.

I love Newman and have always defended him. He gave Wake everything he had and more. He was a part of some big wins for us.

Having said all of that, does he have something against us? Was there any bad blood I'm unaware of? Surprised he didn't at least mention us in his announcement even if he's opting out from another program. IDK, maybe I'm off.

He's announcing he is leaving UGA after 8 months of the training facilities, training table, coaching, and no games - what is he supposed to say today about WF? He already said his peace in January

Last edited:
It’s not that bad. A guy expected to be drafted opts out for the season, in which there is a pandemic and a fucked up season. I hate it for him, but still a little comical. I don’t think a season happens anyway. Go work out for pro-day.

Not too many guys bail on two different sets of teammates in one season. Does it make sense? Yeah. But still....

I figured he would be benched around the third or fourth game. At some point you can't mask the fact that he struggles making short to medium throws to slot, TE and RB.

Newman got what he needed out of the UGA transfer - hype, attention, insanely high pre-season QB rankings... Why bother playing and putting all of that at risk? Extremely shrewd move, absolutely the right call.

Not sure why it would bother Wake fans - just means he never would have played here even if he hadn't transferred.

I seriously doubt that he could do anything that would improve his draft status more than competing and winning against the SEC. But, could it be that after practicing against SEC level talent at UGA he concluded that playing might severely damage his draft position? It's hard to imagine that opting out will help him otherwise.

Wow. A little late as the starting Qb to opt out. Stay healthy and good luck in the draft.

UGA also announced more than 800 new cases of COVID in the last week, which was the first with students.

Newman transferred to Georgia to play in a more NFL-like system and improve his draft stock. And after 8 months at Georgia he decides he’s going to sit the year out to prepare for the draft? Right. He knew he wasn’t going to be the starter and pulled the cord.

If this was ultimately what would have happened of Jamie stayed at Wake then he did us a favor as his leaving ensured that Sam didn't transfer. Imagine if 1 week before the season opener against Clemson we were now turning over the reins to Kern with little depth behind him?

5th round pick now. He must have known his starting job was precarious.

If this was ultimately what would have happened of Jamie stayed at Wake then he did us a favor as his leaving ensured that Sam didn't transfer. Imagine if 1 week before the season opener against Clemson we were now turning over the reins to Kern with little depth behind him?

This. Hartman could possibly be our QB for the next 4 seasons and had Newman stayed it's possible if not probable he would have transferred. Instead, Hartman could be one of the most experienced QB's in college history in 2023 (that is obviously assuming a lot).

Back