• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Opting Out At UGA

The only logical thing to say would be "Jamie Newman from Wake Forest" since he will never actually play for UGa.

But he did live in their housing, accept their training and facilities, and eat their food for free, for - what- eight months?

I wish Jamie nothing but the best, but agree that this raises more questions. Hopefully, he gets with a great coach and can impress in the workouts/combine. I definitely want to see him playing at the next level.

He will say UGA if drafted I predict even though his entire college career was WF

Wake fans: Newman is a bum. Glad he left us. He may not even get drafted.

Also Wake fans: Is Newman going to rep Wake when he’s announced as the starting QB on Sunday Night Football?

Last edited:
But he did live in their housing, accept their training and facilities, and eat their food for free, for - what- eight months?

Yeah. I said that identifying as a Wake player is the "logical thing" but I don't have much confidence that he will do what seems logical to me.

Wake fans: Newman is a bum. Glad he left us. He may not even get drafted.

Also Wake fans: Is Newman going to rep Wake when he’s announced as the starting QB on Sunday Night Football?

LOL!
But not all of us , no.
Go Deacs!

Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't read anything like this here.

That's because it wasn't said. Some folks, myself included, felt a bit slighted by Newman when he walked away. I totally understand his rationale, but was a bit miffed none the less. Now we are merely questioning why he decided to walk away right before the season starts with heavy internet speculation from UGA folks that he was getting beaten out. Once he decided to leave I wanted nothing more than him to show his stuff.. But now, I have to wonder just exactly why he walked away. I'm not mad and I still want him to kick ass in the NFL. Most folks I have talked to have similar thoughts on his overall situation.

This. Sage is smart for opting out & he has everybody’s support but Newman is a bum, isn’t good anymore, etc.. It’s a good look, folks.

hmm - i know there are similarities, but the big difference is that Newman left Wake *to go to another school*. understandable that Wake fans would take umbrage (not saying it's justified, but certainly a reasonable response)

no one would probably say this out loud but i do wonder if the far more difficult schedule / lack of buy games scared people off a bit too. easy to pad stats against Elon, less so against a full conference schedule in either case.

hmm - i know there are similarities, but the big difference is that Newman left Wake *to go to another school*. understandable that Wake fans would take umbrage (not saying it's justified, but certainly a reasonable response)

no one would probably say this out loud but i do wonder if the far more difficult schedule / lack of buy games scared people off a bit too. easy to pad stats against Elon, less so against a full conference schedule in either case.

Newman was gone before the Covid was recognized. He left to go to a "rival" college that Wake has played and beaten previously. He got the publicity bump he wanted in the week after his transfer.

Wake fans were disappointed he left because Wake quarterbacks rarely play every game and having an experienced backup QB is generally better than having a backup QB who hasn't played even a full quarter. Wake should be fine with Sam starting. However, behind him are guys with very little experience.

Sage had big games against "tough" opponents. I doubt the redone schedule had a lot to do with his decision. Sage is on the verge of signing a contract for life changing money. He was hurt last season. It is smart of him to not do anything that would harm his chances for a big NFL contract and signing bonus.

The singular thread to both cases is that Newman and Sage are making what they think are the best choices to prepare them for a career after college. That career is pro football. Newman likely made the right decision to transfer to Georgia and I don't know enough about his health or COVID policy at Georgia to really comment on his choice for this year. I thought his transfer decision was a wise one. From everything reported, he was the clear QB1 at Georgia when he made his decision. In the week before he opted out, Justin Fields was at practice, so the zoo atmosphere could have played a factor. Since UGa doesn't play until late Sept., he also left them plenty of time to resolve their Qb situation.

Sage same thing. He is making decisions for his pro career. Pretty cut and dry.

Newman was gone before the Covid was recognized. He left to go to a "rival" college that Wake has played and beaten previously. He got the publicity bump he wanted in the week after his transfer.

UGA is not a rival and that game was more than 40 years ago, so basically doesn’t exist in the minds of all the players and most of the fans.

Walking away from Wake made some sense, as much as I hate to admit it.

Walking away from UGA does not. It looks all the world like he is running away from competition and possible failure. Not good for his future.

In Newman’s defense, a UGA professor friend of mine post this today:

In Newman’s defense, a UGA professor friend of mine post this today:

I’m sure Clemson will look very similar. They had nearly a 15% positive test rate last week and students don’t start moving back into campus until next week and classes will still be online until the 21st. https://www.clemson.edu/covid-19/testing/dashboard.html

I’m sure Clemson will look very similar. They had nearly a 15% positive test rate last week and students don’t start moving back into campus until next week and classes will still be online until the 21st. https://www.clemson.edu/covid-19/testing/dashboard.html

Yep, and we’re going to roll their ass like a steam roller. On Sunday morning Hartman is going to be a top 4 list for the Heisman. If he is still alive.

Didn't Georgia bring in a new OC this year to "modernize" its offense as well? Maybe after practices the new OC was going to use Jamie similar to the way that he was being used at Wake and all that stuff about going to Georgia to gain experience in a "pro style offense" went out the window.

Of course they were going to use him as Wake did, because that is what he is good at. The notion that he was going to run a "pro style offense" (whatever that even is anymore) was always a joke.

Back