• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Opting Out At UGA

Of course they were going to use him as Wake did, because that is what he is good at. The notion that he was going to run a "pro style offense" (whatever that even is anymore) was always a joke.

do you just not watch the NFL or something?

Georgia ran a pro style offense with a statue at quarteback for the past three years. New offense should sling it around a little more.

This is a bad call. There is really no precedent for a Wake QB going first round with 1 partially good season under his belt. He could have really helped himself by just playing 7-8 games for UGA. His life and his right to make that call but disappointing.

I believe both Newman and Surratt would benefit from another season of competition. It's an opportunity to enhance their NFL draft status. Both have shown the ability to play on Sunday in limited action and with limited success. In reality both have played about 1.5 seasons of college football. They both have a history of injury that has limited their PT. They could be passed by good players with more experience who have a great season in 2020.

I wonder if the rumors about Newman's performance and poor fit at UGA are enough that scouts will ask him about it all throughout the draft process and become a question he tires of. Or if they're just baseless or not very significant and will be treated as such.

Surratt does not need any more college experience. And I said the exact opposite about Dortch. For Sage, size is going to be an advantage, and he’s got a skill set that’s not reliant on being the quickest guy on the field.

I don't think Surratt wouldn't improve his draft stock much by playing this year. Without looking at what other receivers are available, I think he's a 2nd round pick all day long.

Out of sight, out of mind. What have you done for me lately?

A full season without injury producing at the level they have shown only enhances their draft status. There are risks to competing, but success eliminates the questions sitting out might raise.

well I was mainly addressing your comment "'pro style offense' (whatever that means)" that Wake's offense is very far from a pro-style offense

I've seen zero evidence that Georgia was planning to use Newman like he was used at Wake

well I was mainly addressing your comment "'pro style offense' (whatever that means)" that Wake's offense is very far from a pro-style offense

I've seen zero evidence that Georgia was planning to use Newman like he was used at Wake

Well, if him leaving isn’t some evidence, so be it. Coaches often augment systems to their players’ strengths, I would expect Uga to do the same.

My parenthetical was a reference to the increasingly diverse offensive systems we see in the NFL.

I believe both Newman and Surratt would benefit from another season of competition. It's an opportunity to enhance their NFL draft status. Both have shown the ability to play on Sunday in limited action and with limited success. In reality both have played about 1.5 seasons of college football. They both have a history of injury that has limited their PT. They could be passed by good players with more experience who have a great season in 2020.

Getting a permanent heart condition would probably more negatively impact their draft stock.

Back