• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Opting Out At UGA

Surratt's skill set will keep without playing. He was able to convert 50/50 balls into 90/10 his. NFL teams value that.

If any one wants to see Jamie Newman actually practicing in a Georgia uniform, there's footage of him fucking up in Year of The Dawg on SEC Network, about 15 minutes in.

If any one wants to see Jamie Newman actually practicing in a Georgia uniform, there's footage of him fucking up in Year of The Dawg on SEC Network, about 15 minutes in.

I'll take "Bad Advice for $500"

Boy he made a couple of bad decisions but glad he’s drawing a check playing football.

Probably ended up being a net-positive for Wake. Hartman is awesome, Wake Football is in fantastic shape, and we have a legit cautionary tale of what can happen if you bail on Wake to chase a big program opening.

feel like KWIII's top-10 Heisman finish outweighs the Newman debacle for guys weighing those type of transfer decisions

feel like KWIII's top-10 Heisman finish outweighs the Newman debacle for guys weighing those type of transfer decisions

Eh, I don't think so. I mean, if you're a small program or mid-major and you see guys constantly transferring out to great success once they show they're too good for your program, that's a disaster.

The messaging of "sure it might work out, but even for a guy like Newman who folks saw as a lottery pick it might be disastrous" is fine for Wake given our size and how we run our program. Plus KWIII's outcome had he stayed to play for a very good Wake team vs. Newman's career after he left are nowhere close to equal.

It appears Newman is on the Hamilton Tiger Cat practice squad. So, he's behind the QB from Tulsa that PhD identified and behind a QB from Prairie View A&M. Here is the Hamilton roster: https://ticats.ca/roster/

A little more than two years ago, Newman was on the top 5 odds list for the 2020 Heisman favorites. Since that time, UGA has won a Natty; WF won the Atlantic Division, and now Jamie Newman is on the Practice Squad roster for the Hamilton Tiger Cats and behind a QB from Prairie View A&M on the HTC depth chart. Life moves fast.

Last edited:
Good. Personally, I was not rooting for the guy that Wake offered a scholarship when no other power 5 program did, invested in, started at QB, and who left because he was too good for the system. I feel much differently about transfers who leave the program for other reasons, or guys like CBS.

It appears Newman is on the Hamilton Tiger Cat practice squad. So, he's behind the QB from Tulsa that PhD identified and behind a QB from Prairie View A&M. Here is the Hamilton roster: https://ticats.ca/roster/

A little more than two years ago, Newman was on the top 5 odds list for the 2020 Heisman favorites. Since that time, UGA has won a Natty; WF won the Atlantic Division, and now Jamie Newman is on the Practice Squad roster for the Hamilton Tiger Cats and behind a QB from Prairie View A&M on the HTC depth chart. Life moves fast.

I was looking at the depth charts. He was 3rd string on June 24, on the 1-week injured list on July 1, and 3rd string on July 16. Looks like he was just placed on the practice roster today’s game.

https://ticats.ca/depth-charts/

I think it’s funny that backup CFL QB is the sweet spot so people who want him to succeed and people who want him to fail can both be happy.

I was looking at the depth charts. He was 3rd string on June 24, on the 1-week injured list on July 1, and 3rd string on July 16. Looks like he was just placed on the practice roster today’s game.

I think it’s funny that backup CFL QB is the sweet spot so people who want him to succeed and people who want him to fail can both be happy.

Seems to be a pretty close battle for that 3rd QB spot with fellow rookie QB, and Arlington's own Jalen Morton. Neither Evans nor Shiltz seem to be tearing it up.

But hey good for Jeremiah Masoli and Zach Collaros for making a nice career for themselves. Chad Kelly even getting some throws in.

Ha - probably true. I was a Newman hater when he left, but now I'm (mostly) over it.

We don't know what Hartman would have done if Jamie stayed, and no one can say for sure, but it certainly looks like 3 more years of Hartman was a better deal than 1 more with Jamie.

Hartman would have transferred to Heorgia to compete with Stetson Bennett IV.

Don’t think there’s any way Hartman stays if Newman is back in 2020 so yeah it worked out. I was mad about it at the time but who cares now- clearly we were able to move on and I wish Jamie well- had some special moments late 2018 and 2019 with him as QB. The win in Raleigh in 2018 and UNC in 2019 were special. Honestly - I think Hartman’s injury and Newman’s ascent forced Sam to get better. Post 2019- our top skill players coming back the next year were Sage, Jamie, KW3- none of them stayed with program for the special year in 2021 which is a testament to how deep we have been on offense the last few years. I know this isn’t the Sage, KW3 thread but it’s crazy to think how good we could have been in 2021 with Sage and KW3 as weapons- especially KW3. Actually we could have still had Dortch on that team if he would have stuck around to be a super Senior. That’s SEC level talent in skill positions. Yeah - none of those guys were on defense but maybe it’s enough fire power to win UNC and Pitt and get to CFP.

Back