• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Opting Out At UGA

Don’t think there’s any way Hartman stays if Newman is back in 2020 so yeah it worked out. I was mad about it at the time but who cares now- clearly we were able to move on and I wish Jamie well- had some special moments late 2018 and 2019 with him as QB. The win in Raleigh in 2018 and UNC in 2019 were special. Honestly - I think Hartman’s injury and Newman’s ascent forced Sam to get better. Post 2019- our top skill players coming back the next year were Sage, Jamie, KW3- none of them stayed with program for the special year in 2021 which is a testament to how deep we have been on offense the last few years. I know this isn’t the Sage, KW3 thread but it’s crazy to think how good we could have been in 2021 with Sage and KW3 as weapons- especially KW3. Actually we could have still had Dortch on that team if he would have stuck around to be a super Senior. That’s SEC level talent in skill positions. Yeah - none of those guys were on defense but maybe it’s enough fire power to win UNC and Pitt and get to CFP.

Good post and this whole second page has lots of good point/counter points. Our offense has been in good shape for 5 years and continues to reload. Come on D!

Issue on offense is there just aren’t enough plays to go around for everyone to get their “fair share” so you’re gonna have guys leave in this transfer portal era and with NFL careers getting shorter and shorter- guys are gonna make the jump earlier than they would have 10 years ago. Sage and Dortch leaving opened up reps for Roberson, Morin, and ATP- especially Q. Q wouldn’t be getting a shot in the NFL right now if not for his opportunity coming in 2020 with Sage opting out in August.

Agreed and ATP may would not have gotten the touches he got if Greene wasn't hurt.

There are more plays to go around in our offense than almost any other.

There are more plays to go around in our offense than almost any other.

With the Wake offense running 90 to 100 plays per game, pretty easy to get receivers 15 targets per game. Maybe more. 180 targets in a season should translate into a lot of catches, yards and TDs for multiple receivers.

With the Wake offense running 90 to 100 plays per game, pretty easy to get receivers 15 targets per game. Maybe more. 180 targets in a season should translate into a lot of catches, yards and TDs for multiple receivers.

Don’t disagree with that logic but because we spread ball around a lot more than most teams and have a unconventional system- it’s unlikely a guy on our team is gonna have Heisman-level stats (LOWF bias) aside. KW3 wouldn’t have had nearly those stats at WF that he had at Michigan State so it’s not really comparable- but we certainly could have used him in 2021 in the games we lost. I think it’s a genius strategy for WF and allows us a lot more depth than most of our peer teams that have better talent on paper and we can re-load easier than at any point in our history. But with that- you are bound to have guys transfer because of the uniqueness of the system, ie Newman and KW3. Does every program in the country deal with guys leaving? Of course - my point is that it’s likely to happen again here for that reason. I’m not blaming our staff for Newman and KW3 transferring - think it’s the opposite - it’s a testament to how we don’t just change our system for one guy. It’s opposite of Grobe system of building offense around Barclay then later Kenny Moore, and then Givens. Problem with that approach is that other teams figure it out and then you are relying on our other guys to win those matchups when they haven’t had reps to do it and don’t have the size/speed to begin with.

Jamie scored a td Thursday on a play that was specifically designed for him. On 3rd and goal at the one (4th down US football), Newman went around left end, brushed off an arm tackle, and scored standing up.

He needs to play in one of the two spring leagues next year.

Not if he can stay on a CFL roster. USFL and XFL players are trying to get to where Newman is.

It's a steady paycheck in a league with very few spots for American players. There's no guarantee he starts for a USFL or XFL team. I don't what Newman is making but the CFL minimum is higher than the average USFL and XFL salaries. Those leagues could fold anyway.

Average salary in the CFL is between $60K and $100K, Canadian dollars. 2021 Salary cap was $5.3 million per team. Some of the best players in the league make $80K.

Each USFL player makes $4500 per game (US) for 10 games, gets an extra $850 a week if they win, and gest $10,000K if they win the championship.

Probably a wash for Newman financially, but no way he's going to last more than a couple of years as a backup QB in Canada. He needs to win a starting job quickly or he's done.

Being on the field every day with coaching staff gives him a better shot at moving up in the QB hierarchy than he would have walking the street.

Jamie in at qb for Hamilton on ESPN plus. Starting qb out and backup hurt. Newman quite effective running - not trusted much on passing.

Jamie in at qb for Hamilton on ESPN plus. Starting qb out and backup hurt. Newman quite effective running - not trusted much on passing.

Just turned over to it. Why is there another qb in now for Hamilton?

60 yard TD pass by the other Hamilton QB. that is the pass Newman loved throwing to Surratt

Back