• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Newman Opting Out At UGA

What a sequence of bad decisions.

Why would you draft someone as a QB who cannot make solid decisions with plenty of time to think about it.

If Newman's smart, and I think he is, from now on he will refer to himself as "former Wake Forest QB" with scant mention of any UGA ties (other than that coveted graduate degree that I'm sure he'll hang around for:D). Russell Wilson will always have a complicated relationship with NCSU, but by avoiding any overt embrace of his brief time with the Bulldogs at the expense of his 4 years at Wake, Jamie will always have a "home" with us. Of course Wilson has expanded his career and influence well beyond any need to be associated with the folks in Raleigh or Madison, but in Newman's case he'd do well to stay in touch with Mother So Dear since hes basically a local kid who has a ways to go before he's hit it big.

Didn't Georgia bring in a new OC this year to "modernize" its offense as well? Maybe after practices the new OC was going to use Jamie similar to the way that he was being used at Wake and all that stuff about going to Georgia to gain experience in a "pro style offense" went out the window.

I'll only be mad if he says UGA on draft day and if/when he does his NFL intro.

This is where my head is at. Although I was excited to see Jaime potentially light it up this year.

This whole college football season is gross, I agree they should have just packed up.

This decision is certainly grist for those who felt that Newman effectively opted out from the bowl game last year. Not saying I agree with that view, just that the perception was there.

This decision is certainly grist for those who felt that Newman effectively opted out from the bowl game last year. Not saying I agree with that view, just that the perception was there.

He definitely phoned in the bowl game. It's not even worth discussing.

His receivers helped him tremendously, but Newman played with heart and guts during the regular season. I was at the Carolina game and couldn't have been prouder of his physical effort and leadership. When he's fired up, he plays with a fury that produces results above those normal for his talent level. That works in college (in the ACC). In the NFL, not so much. The gigantic leap in talent across the roster in the NFL is way more than Newman can handle, in my opinion. I don't think he would have been successful in the SEC at UGA either. As to UGA, we'll never know. As to the NFL, we'll see.

Will be interested to see the level of QB play at UGA this year sans Newman.

Just had dinner with a bunch of UGA guys. One has very high level connections. He said there was a scrimmage on Saturday and Jamie had 3 interceptions and did not play well. (His words). The thinking is that he was not considered to be a good fit anymore and is moving on. UGA fans want nothing to do with him.
A shame his college career ended up such a mess.

Just had dinner with a bunch of UGA guys. One has very high level connections. He said there was a scrimmage on Saturday and Jamie had 3 interceptions and did not play well. (His words). The thinking is that he was not considered to be a good fit anymore and is moving on. UGA fans want nothing to do with him.

Betting it was indoors, not distanced and no masks to be seen.

Interesting

The timing of the announcement this close to the season starting sure makes it seem like he was getting beaten out. The pandemic has been a known deal for awhile now. Once it was clear the season was a go, he could have dropped out then. I wish him the very best of all things. But he's created a bit of a mess for himself.

Maybe it should be "Jamie Newman from Wake Forest via UGA" or something like that.

The only logical thing to say would be "Jamie Newman from Wake Forest" since he will never actually play for UGa.

Back