• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tom terrific has passed

Growing up in the NYC area my friends and I were all Mets fans and absolutely love Tom Seaver. I’ll never forget watching his near perfect game when a Cubs reserve outfielder named Jim Qualls broke it up with with a base hit with one out in the ninth.

I also remember seeing a game he pitched for the Reds in Shea Stadium. The Reds were killing the Mets and toward the end of the game Seaver drew a walk. That was back in the day when a kid would bring out the pitcher’s warmup jacket before he went down to first base. Seaver waited at home plate for the kid to bring his jacket and then started to jog down to first. As he did, the Shea crowed started applauding him and by the time he got to first they were giving him a standing ovation.

Teary-eyed stuff.

Being a Baltimore kid, the pitcher we idolized was Jim Palmer, BUT our little league coaches all told us not to pitch like Palmer,instead emulate Tom Seaver and his amazing push off of his leg on the mound.

Being a Baltimore kid, the pitcher we idolized was Jim Palmer, BUT our little league coaches all told us not to pitch like Palmer,instead emulate Tom Seaver and his amazing push off of his leg on the mound.

Followed both of them throughout their careers. Lots of similarities and both were great pitchers in the days of 4 man rotations:

Tom born one year before Jim and pitched 20 years to Jim's 19.
Wins - TS 311/JP 268. ERA - TS 2.86/JP 2.86. K's - TS 3640/ JP 2212
20 Win Seasons - JP 8 / TS 5
Complete Games - TS 231 / JP 211
Each had 3 Cy Young's / TS - 12 All Star's to 6 for JP
JP with 3 World Series appearances to 1 for TS

So true. Koufax had a similar feature in his motion. His left shin would seemingly be parallel to and 6 inches from the ground.

Met Jim Palmer as a kid at a charity basketball game. One of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Back