• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

Seems like Boise State has been consistently good but largely irrelevant during his tenure. Interesting hire.

Brett Bielema record with Paul Chryst as OC: 60-19 (6 Seasons, 2006-2011)
Brett Bielema record with Dave Doeren as DC: 28-11 (3 Seasons, 2008-2010)
Brett Bielema record without Chryst or Doeren: 37-39 (6 Seasons, 2012-2017)

It’s also kind of tough to split it up this way when the first two were at Wisconsin and most of the 3rd was Arkansas.

Seems like Boise State has been consistently good but largely irrelevant during his tenure. Interesting hire.
Agree, but Boise State’s irrelevance is due to being in the Mountain West, which is a dying conference with poor TV contracts, and marginal programs — hard to remember the good ole days of that conference with Utah, BYU, and TCU.

Northwestern might be able to pony up a little more cash than Wake, but not that much, and I really am surprised so many people see it as a more desirable destination than Wake. Much like Wake, Northwestern football was pure trash up until the mid-90s. There is no history there outside the tenures of Fitzgerald and Gary Barnett. I fully expect that Clawson will not finish his career at Wake, and he seems too ambitious for Northwestern to be a logical step up for him.

It’s also kind of tough to split it up this way when the first two were at Wisconsin and most of the 3rd was Arkansas.

Yeah, why would I split it up between him having two stellar coordinators that were chosen by the AD and him having a rotating cast of clowns that he got to pick himself.

Besides their blue field, when I think of Boise State I think of the Statue of Liberty play to beat Oklahoma a few years back. Great play!

Amazing how Terry Bowden's career has fallen off a cliff.

Hard to believe that he was the only Power V coach to go undefeated in his debut season in 1993 (beating LSU, Florida, UGA and Bama among others) when Auburn went 11-0. He ran is his college winning streak to 20 straight games in 1993-4. By 1997, he was clinging to coeds with eyes glazed in Auburn bars. He was fired by Akron (perhaps the worst D1 program in the country) in 2018. Dabo made a pity hire in 2019, and now, ULM.

U of Arizona hires Jedd Fisch.

Definitely off the radar: Fisch's only experience as a HC was 2 games at UCLA in 2017 after the Bruins fired Jim Mora. Otherwise, Fisch has been an NFL assistant coach for 13 of the last 18 years, most recently, he was the QB coach of the Patriots this past season. NE's QB play has been spotty at best.

Amazing how Terry Bowden's career has fallen off a cliff.

Hard to believe that he was the only Power V coach to go undefeated in his debut season in 1993 (beating LSU, Florida, UGA and Bama among others) when Auburn went 11-0. He ran is his college winning streak to 20 straight games in 1993-4. By 1997, he was clinging to coeds with eyes glazed in Auburn bars. He was fired by Akron (perhaps the worst D1 program in the country) in 2018. Dabo made a pity hire in 2019, and now, ULM.

Bowden actually has a pretty good record.

Auburn 47-17-1
North Alabama 29-9
Akron 35-52 w/ 2 bowls and a win over Northwestern in his final season

My opinion is he is the victim of a couple of ADs' quick triggers.

Besides their blue field, when I think of Boise State I think of the Statue of Liberty play to beat Oklahoma a few years back. Great play!

Different coach. It may make you feel old to look up when that play occurred.

I watched that play at a club on South Beach the night before the Orange Bowl like probably dozens of us.

And then that coach chased the dollars to Colorado and failed miserably— not sure why, he built Boise State.

Nope.

You're thinking of Dan Hawkins, who left Boise State for Colorado after 2005. Chris Petersen was the coach when Boise State beat Oklahoma and he stayed until 2013, after which he took the Washington job (from which he retired after last season).

I know it was a different coach and was a ‘few’ years ago. Just didn’t remember exactly when.
Recently saw a feature in the top 10 plays ever in college football. This was one of them. And, of course, Flutie’s Hail Mary against Miami.

I know it was a different coach and was a ‘few’ years ago. Just didn’t remember exactly when.
Recently saw a feature in the top 10 plays ever in college football. This was one of them. And, of course, Flutie’s Hail Mary against Miami.

The best part is there was the hook and lateral AND the statue of liberty in this game. Nuts.

I just watched a clip of the book and ladder to send it into OT. The announcer said, “I have seen it all now.” Nope. The statue of liberty put it over the top. Great game.

Back