Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

Broderick Hicks
    Les Miles and Kansas have “mutually agreed” to part ways.

Improper use of hands by Les. He's finished for good.

Who knew that fatty Mark Mangino was such an elite coach?

In 8 seasons at Kansas, he had a winning record, took Kansas to an Orange Bowl, three other bowls, a #7 ranking in the Final polls and won national coach of the year in 2007 (Mangino was fired after he was accused of being abusive toward players and staff: he also had been charged with NCAA rules infractions, but had survived those issues).

Since Magnino's firing, these are the records of his successors:

Turner Gill 5-19 (1-16)
    Charlie Weis 5-22 (1-18)
    Clint Bowen 1-7 (1-7)
    David Beaty 6-42 (2-34)
    Les Miles 3-18 (1-16)

FWIW, Mangino is the only coach to leave KS with a winning record since the early 50s (a run of 15 coaches).
    Last edited by Pilchard; 03-09-2021 at 03:40 PM.

I am wincing just looking at that picture of Mark Mangino. How does a person that fat even go through life, especially as a college football coach.

Quote Originally Posted by WRS View Post
    I am wincing just looking at that picture of Mark Mangino. How does a person that fat even go through life, especially as a college football coach.
    Is he still alive?

Shockingly, Mangino is still alive at 64. If there was ever a walking billboard for a COVID victim, it would be Mangino.

His last coaching stop was OC for Iowa State in 2015, where he was fired in the middle of the season -- Warren Sawvel style.

I can't resist posting lard-ass Mangino pics.

Keeping with the trend, Kansas also hired "husky" Charlie Weis:

How do guys like that even attempt to convince their players of the importance of strength and conditioning?

Primary OGB Benefactor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    How do guys like that even attempt to convince their players of the importance of strength and conditioning?
    If you're able to convince someone they want to play football at Kansas you can convince them of anything.

Heard that it is now on the SEC Commissioner to do something about LSU. Or not. Multiple AD's and presidents at LSU haven't done jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Heard that it is now on the SEC Commissioner to do something about LSU. Or not. Multiple AD's and presidents at LSU haven't done jack.
    It’s a culture thing at LSU.
    Or lack of it.

The fallout from the Les Miles scandal has claimed another victim. Kansas fired their AD Jeff Long today. Long hired Miles and signed him to a lucrative contract. Wonder if KS will hire a HC first or an AD first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    The fallout from the Les Miles scandal has claimed another victim. Kansas fired their AD Jeff Long today. Long hired Miles and signed him to a lucrative contract. Wonder if KS will hire a HC first or an AD first.
    Not surprised. What a mess.
    I would think they’d get the AD first.

Pilch - btw, I laugh each time I look at the fat photos you posted above. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekin View Post
    Pilch - btw, I laugh each time I look at the fat photos you posted above. Nice work.
    With Forbes, Wake doesn't have much room to talk.

From a Sports Illustrated article on the Jeff Long firing:

“The Athletic's CJ Moore reports former Kansas basketball star and coaching assistant Danny Manning is interested in the school's now-open AD position.”

https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/1...-miles-fallout

Quote Originally Posted by For Deac's Sake View Post
    From a Sports Illustrated article on the Jeff Long firing:

“The Athletic's CJ Moore reports former Kansas basketball star and coaching assistant Danny Manning is interested in the school's now-open AD position.”

https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/1...-miles-fallout

Self doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon. Why not fail upward?

Wake Forest graduate assistant Quincy Casimir has also joined the Ole Miss Rebels.

This seems like a monumental development. Or not.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    "also?" Did someone else from our staff go there?
    Last edited by PhDeac; 03-20-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Graduate assistants should be moving on and getting jobs. That’s kind of what the position is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    "also?" Did someone else from our staff go there?
    No. That was from a blurb about Ole Miss staff additions. The first line was something like so and so from elsewhere was named assistant coach...

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    Graduate assistants should be moving on and getting jobs. That’s kind of what the position is all about.
    I agree. I hadn't seen that tidbit mentioned before. Cycling grad assistants through is part of evaluating guys for potential as coaches. Bring those guys in, train them, send them out. Keep in touch. Consider the promising ones when staff openings occur.