• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

Because they have $7 billion in their endowment and maybe are tired of losing, just like SC who already fired their coach, Michigan and a few others will be this year when they also fire their coaches. [Texas, Arizona, Tennessee, Nebraska, VT, Syracuse, Kansas and maybe a few more on this list of possibilities]

My dude, that’s not how endowments work.

If Vandy is tired of losing they should spend some of that endowment on upgrading their facilities, not buying out yet another coach (James Franklin notwithstanding), if that's even possible.

Hiring a new coach is not likely enough to make Vandy an attactive choice for potential recruits and I personally have no earthly idea why anyone would go there to play football. At least at Wake you're only probably going to get embarrassed once a year.

My other dude, that’s also not how endowments work.

Mason seems like a good guy. But he hasn't had a winning season in six years and maxed out at three SEC wins. Not hard to see why they canned him.

I’m intrigued by Wake fans arguing facilities over coaching.

The reality is that recruiting is an arm’s race. Vanderbilt should already have some built in advantages by being in a major city but if the facilities aren’t up to par recruits aren’t going to come.

I can't see the gastro scene in Columbia or Ann Arbor pulling Clawson away. However, Nashville on the other hand does have some superior dining establishments. Imagine if Vanderbilt brought him to the Pharmacy or Party Fowl, he would be gone.

Any chance Mason would come on and be our D-Coordinator? Could be nice.

The Athletic lists 20 coaches who could be candidates for filling current and/or possible vacancies. Clawson is not on the list. However, former Wake linebackers coach and current Notre Dame D-coordinator Clark Lea is on the list. As is Sean "Wakey Leaks" Beamer.

ETA: Link to article in the Athletic

Coaching Carousel

Last edited:
Mike Elko turned down the Temple job last year and makes over $2 million as DC at A&M, but is definitely a possibility for a head coaching job somewhere.

I'm still mad we didn't keep the Wake/Vandy "rivalry" going. We have so much in common, are geographically close, and are traditionally cellar dwellers in our respective conferences. It also ended after getting thrashed by them during the best few seasons in their history.

I'm still mad we didn't keep the Wake/Vandy "rivalry" going. We have so much in common, are geographically close, and are traditionally cellar dwellers in our respective conferences. It also ended after getting thrashed by them during the best few seasons in their history.

I'm with you on this. Add one more game to the "Magnolia League" not to mention that it is a game against a school that is part of the SEC.

I hate playing Vandy. WF draws more fans/attention against almost every other opponent, including non-Power V schools. This is a game that literally no one GAF about and its always treated that way. Think about the best OOC games/experiences over the last 20 years: Ole Miss, Baylor, Stanford, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana (even ECU). All of those series bring back some great memories and gave WF some good publicity/exposure. Despite playing the Dores more often than any of those other programs, the Vandy games all fall into the abyss of completely forgettable games (I distantly remember Grobe's last game as a WF coach may have come in some pathetic low scoring snooze-fest in Nashville that WF lost late in front of only friends and family; do we really need to re-live that again?). I really hate playing them (did I already say that?). We are a better program, and we can do a lot better than playing another meaningless series against them.

Disagree, we should be branching out and playing teams from other parts of the country to help with recruiting. We've played Vandy enough for a while. No more Vandy, App, Army, or Navy.

Back