• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

I hate playing Vandy. WF draws more fans/attention against almost every other opponent, including non-Power V schools. This is a game that literally no one GAF about and its always treated that way. Think about the best OOC games/experiences over the last 20 years: Ole Miss, Baylor, Stanford, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana (even ECU). All of those series bring back some great memories and gave WF some good publicity/exposure. Despite playing the Dores more often than any of those other programs, the Vandy games all fall into the abyss of completely forgettable games (I distantly remember Grobe's last game as WF coach may have come in some pathetic low scoring snooze-fest that WF lost late in front of only friends and family). I really hate playing them. We are a better program, and we can do a lot better than playing another meaningless series against them.

Yes.

We play Vandy in 2022/2023.

But yeah, decent P5 teams should be interested in playing us. The state of NC has decent recruiting, we're not a cupcake but they all figure they have a decent shot at sweeping a home and home, and the game is attractive to ESPN. And those are the same critera that Wake should be using to schedule home and home OOC opponents. Each year one of our OOC games should be against someone decent. Instead Pudue and Air Force are the only games that come close to fitting the bill over the next decade. I'd say the same about Army, but I'm sick of playing them. And ND doesn't count.

ETA: I hate to derail the coaching thread to talk about scheduling, but our home schedues really do suck. Adding to our shitty OOC schedule, a couple of Thursday or Friday night games, and the fact that you don't even know what time the Saturday games will be played, and it generally takes an act of God to attend a Wake home game against some shitty former Big East opponent.

Last edited:
My other dude, that’s also not how endowments work.

I know how endowments work and it would probably surprise a bunch of you to know that they have terrible investment models. Most of them are totally illiquid, being almost 70% in illiquid assets like commercial real estate [which is dropping like a rock and getting more & more vacant]. That leaves only around 30% of their portfolios in liquid assets like stocks & bonds that schools can get their hands on. It has made it really tough in these Covid times. My son & his guys at Angel Oak Capital in Atlanta sell to a lot of college endowment people and have a very good fixed income fund that pays
back a 5-7% return. One of their hedge funds pays a 10-12% return with a 7 year lock up. One of his colleagues has the Midwest as his territory and had one of the major Big Ten schools tell him that if they have to stay in this on-line, "not-in-school" scenario for two more semesters, they will go bankrupt. But in spite of Covid & it locking down travel to son's west coast territory clients, working from home since late March, he has sold over $1,000,000,000 in their funds--setting all kinds of company records for sales & commission. So, yes, I know all about how college endowments work!

Wonder what kind of radio presents that Little Reff gets for his clients at Christmas time

I'm still mad we didn't keep the Wake/Vandy "rivalry" going. We have so much in common, are geographically close, and are traditionally cellar dwellers in our respective conferences. It also ended after getting thrashed by them during the best few seasons in their history.

I liked playing them actually, if we only could have played them at a more normal non-conference schedule time like in September when we could have travelled to Nashville and enjoyed the city and the country music stuff. But Ronnie Boy always putting that game at Thanksgiving and trying to force it into some type of rivalry game was just nuts. We should always, always, always be playing a school like NC State that weekend and let UNC & Duke play over Thanksgiving and have had our own "rivalry week" game for years. Don't know why we didn't and make the ACC do it like the rest of the schools have done. But instead we have a 3 game losing streak to The Dores and need to put an end to that.

I'd love to hear Little Reff's sales pitch that commercial real estate is dropping like a rock and only getting more and more vacant. BTW, apartments and warehouses are also commercial real estate and are highly desirable assets in the current environment and are only getting more and nore occupied.

I'm still mad we didn't keep the Wake/Vandy "rivalry" going. We have so much in common, are geographically close, and are traditionally cellar dwellers in our respective conferences. It also ended after getting thrashed by them during the best few seasons in their history.

I liked playing Vandy..

I generally agree with Biff that our OOC scheduling sucks, but we do have Ole Miss in 2024/25. I'd be down to go to Nashville and NYC for long weekends when we play @ Vandy and @ Army, so that doesn't seem terrible either. Games against ECU are also a good thing.

playing ND almost every year limits the big time h&hs you can schedule.

playing ND almost every year limits the big time h&hs you can schedule.

Especially if the ACC goes to a nine conference game schedule. Wake will need three winnable OOC games to have a better shot at being bowl eligible.

Wonder what kind of radio presents that Little Reff gets for his clients at Christmas time

Went out west with his CIO, since they had not been traveling and could not go into other offices, and took the clients to play a lot of nice golf. Pumpkin Ridge Golf Course in Oregon where Tiger won his 3rd U.S. Am. The next day Chambers Bay outside of Seattle where he took his biggest client who has put in over $300 mill this year alone. A few weeks later took his immediate bosses out to Arizona & Cali and took clients to play Grey Hawk Golf Club in Scottsdale & the next day Monarch Beach Golf Links in Dana Point, CA. Was supposed to go up to Wisconsin for a couple days at Whistling Straits but the weather turned bad so they cancelled it until spring. In the meantime he belongs to Atlanta Athletic Club and one of his upper bosses belongs to Peachtree Golf Club.

I'd love to hear Little Reff's sales pitch that commercial real estate is dropping like a rock and only getting more and more vacant. BTW, apartments and warehouses are also commercial real estate and are highly desirable assets in the current environment and are only getting more and nore occupied.

But in the meantime his so-called sales pitch Hogan has worked to the tune of selling over $1 billion this year in their funds at 10 basis points commission so whatever it is seems to be working during this economic crisis as people fly out of uncertainty into more fixed income.

Yep and commercial real estate also includes malls and 25% of them are scheduled to be closed in the next 5 years. Along with many commercial office spaces where more & more people will continue to work from home, using Zoom, DocuSign and many other technologies. In the meantime many colleges are stuck with what they already have bought and can't get out of them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/27/25p...t-to-shut-within-5-years-what-comes-next.html

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/01/9067...space-pandemic-emptied-buildings-but-how-long

Can someone email Harvard and let them know they could be earning $4-5B annually just sitting on their butts !

Looking like Shane Beamer and S. Carolina have a deal in place

I know how endowments work and it would probably surprise a bunch of you to know that they have terrible investment models. Most of them are totally illiquid, being almost 70% in illiquid assets like commercial real estate [which is dropping like a rock and getting more & more vacant]. That leaves only around 30% of their portfolios in liquid assets like stocks & bonds that schools can get their hands on. It has made it really tough in these Covid times. My son & his guys at Angel Oak Capital in Atlanta sell to a lot of college endowment people and have a very good fixed income fund that pays
back a 5-7% return. One of their hedge funds pays a 10-12% return with a 7 year lock up. One of his colleagues has the Midwest as his territory and had one of the major Big Ten schools tell him that if they have to stay in this on-line, "not-in-school" scenario for two more semesters, they will go bankrupt. But in spite of Covid & it locking down travel to son's west coast territory clients, working from home since late March, he has sold over $1,000,000,000 in their funds--setting all kinds of company records for sales & commission. So, yes, I know all about how college endowments work!

All of this is true but they can’t use them to hire coaches or build athletic facilities.

Looking like Shane Beamer and S. Carolina have a deal in place

Doesn't that say more about the USC job than it does about Beamer? An SEC opening to someone with no HC experience? It's not as though he's coming from the Death Star to a place with a lot of advantages built in like Kirby Smart to UGA.

This move is to mimic the Dabo hire at Clemson. It can work with paying up for assistants. Beamer at least knows what it takes to compete in the SEC.

Back