• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

I would love to know if Va Tech reached out to gauge his interest in returning if they made a move on Fuente.

Do you think VT would really want him......just because he’s a Beamer?

Babcock, the AD, is not close enough to retirement to ignore the voices in the Hokie Nation who are in love with the Beamer brand. I don't think it's a sizeable group but Babcock has to be able to say that the interest wasn't strongly mutual. My guess is that the lack of HC experience would be cited and the Wakileaks connection being mentioned in the press as well but not attributed to any named source.

Wakileaks would play zero role in a decision and I can’t imagine it being used as justification. If you bring that up as a reason to not hire, it would backfire bigly.

Not only is he a Beamer, but he also wore the jersey. After reading their boards late last night and this AM, there was a very large "Shane train" movement amongst the fanbase. I believe they think their program can rebound best with someone who understands what put Virginia Tech football on the map. I don't blame him for declining if they reached out. He would never live up the expectations they would have for him.

I will be really surprised if he becomes a great head coach

Not only is he a Beamer, but he also wore the jersey. After reading their boards late last night and this AM, there was a very large "Shane train" movement amongst the fanbase. I believe they think their program can rebound best with someone who understands what put Virginia Tech football on the map. I don't blame him for declining if they reached out. He would never live up the expectations they would have for him.

I concur. A question I have is whether things have changed so much in the CFB world since 1995 that what worked for Frank in B-burg wouldn't work for Shane in 2020. VT has much better facilities now but so does everyone else. I-81 has an extra lane going up the mountain but it's still not a short haul from anywhere. When Rece Davis referred to "bucolic Virginia" the other night, he wasn't wrong. That's not for everyone and parents can watch their kid pretty much every weekend even if they are playing in Tuscaloosa or State College thanks to the explosion of TV games.

I concur. A question I have is whether things have changed so much in the CFB world since 1995 that what worked for Frank in B-burg wouldn't work for Shane in 2020. VT has much better facilities now but so does everyone else. I-81 has an extra lane going up the mountain but it's still not a short haul from anywhere. When Rece Davis referred to "bucolic Virginia" the other night, he wasn't wrong. That's not for everyone and parents can watch their kid pretty much every weekend even if they are playing in Tuscaloosa or State College thanks to the explosion of TV games.

Interesting what the USA Today sports article last week had to say about the coaching carousel and in particular the job at VT--"Virginia Tech isn't as good of a job as its fans think it is — the candidate pool for this one isn’t expected to be blockbuster if it opens — but at the end of the day it’s hard to out-evaluate and out-coach your competition in a league like the ACC. You need to do the work in recruiting, and Virginia Tech just hasn’t had much juice with top prospects in the region."

I think that hits the nail on the head pretty good and reminds me a lot of what NC State and their people think their own program--they are just not that good. Blacksburg is cold as hell and there are lots of other better places to play college football these days. While they do have one of the Top 5 entrances in all the game, the luster has gone out of their program now that Daddy Beamer is gone [same at Florida State now that Daddy Bowden is gone].

Right now the ACC is a one horse top notch team league [Clemson] and with the one year addition of the Irish it looks like we may get two shares of CFP monies this year as long as Clemson can knock off the Irish in a close game on Dec 19. Then in 2021 we are back to normal where we have all of us chasing Clemson again. It remains to be seen if Miami & UNC are set to be top shelf yet.

Virginia Tech needs to go back to hitting Hampton Roads hard for recruits. They are losing those kids to other schools.

Virginia Tech needs to go back to hitting Hampton Roads hard for recruits. They are losing those kids to other schools.

Yep. The hope is that having Darryl Tapp on staff will help in the 757.

Last edited:

They have been but his problem is that since Bronco has been at UVa, he has gotten the Hoos back in the game in the 757 area code, something they lost under Mike London. Plus he has really gotten them back in Northern VA, Richmond & even getting some from the Roanoke area.

[/QUOTE]
Right now the ACC is a one horse top notch team league [Clemson] and with the one year addition of the Irish it looks like we may get two shares of CFP monies this year as long as Clemson can knock off the Irish in a close game on Dec 19. Then in 2021 we are back to normal where we have all of us chasing Clemson again. It remains to be seen if Miami & UNC are set to be top shelf yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying ;) Oops, quote fail. Oh well.

Rumors abound that VT will buyout Justin Fuente next week. Apparently, his buyout amount reduces on Tuesday. There were murmurs that VT reached out to Clawson, but that apparently did not go anywhere. Sounds like the Hokies are focused on Clemson OC Tony Elliot.

Rumors abound that VT will buyout Justin Fuente next week. Apparently, his buyout amount reduces on Tuesday. There were murmurs that VT reached out to Clawson, but that apparently did not go anywhere. Sounds like the Hokies are focused on Clemson OC Tony Elliot.

The VPI AD announced salary reductions of up to 10% last week. Whether the timing was to give him cover in not getting rid of Fuente (with the $10M buyout after 12/15) will remain to be seen.

The VPI AD announced salary reductions of up to 10% last week. Whether the timing was to give him cover in not getting rid of Fuente (with the $10M buyout after 12/15) will remain to be seen.

The optics of cutting salaries and then giving Fuentes a big buyout, that would likely cover many people's cuts, just are bad

The optics of cutting salaries and then giving Fuentes a big buyout, that would likely cover many people's cuts, just are bad

It’s true. Way of the world today.

“Murmurs” of interest in Clawson? By whom?

Firing a coach after navigating this shit show of a season only to hire a coordinator would be a poor move.

Not if your program is basically on fire and you hire the right coordinator.

Did South Carolina screw up by firing Muschamp and hiring an associate head coach ?

Exactly. That's why I'm wondering if the announcement wasn't a preemptive move by the AD to foreshadow Fuente being retained.

Back