• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

Brett Bielema record with Paul Chryst as OC: 60-19 (6 Seasons, 2006-2011)
Brett Bielema record with Dave Doeren as DC: 28-11 (3 Seasons, 2008-2010)
Brett Bielema record without Chryst or Doeren: 37-39 (6 Seasons, 2012-2017)

Last edited:
Brett Bielema record with Paul Chryst as OC: 60-19 (6 Seasons)
Brett Bielema record with both Paul Chryst as OC & Dave Doeren as DC: 28-11 (3 Seasons)
Brett Bielema record without Chryst or Doeren: 37-39 (6 Seasons)

I think you posted this as an indictment of Bielema, but it's really more illustrative of the importance of hiring the right coordinaors.

I was listening to an interview with Shane Beamer after he got hired at South Carolina and he said that his dad and everyone else told him that he needs to take his time and hire the right OC and DC more than anything else.

I think you posted this as an indictment of Bielema, but it's really more illustrative of the importance of hiring the right coordinators.

I was listening to an interview with Shane Beamer after he got hired at South Carolina and he said that his dad and everyone else told him that he needs to take his time and hire the right OC and DC more than anything else.

Two things can be true.

Auburn well on its way to turning its coaching search into a total fiasco.

If I'm 53 years old and eyeing retirement, I take this job for $4 million a year, get extended after year 3, fired after year 4 or 5 with a $20 million buyout, and take a job at ESPN.

Brett Bielema record with Paul Chryst as OC: 60-19 (6 Seasons, 2006-2011)
Brett Bielema record with Dave Doeren as DC: 28-11 (3 Seasons, 2008-2010)
Brett Bielema record without Chryst or Doeren: 37-39 (6 Seasons, 2012-2017)

Is there a worse job from the standpoint of fan expectations and realistic ability to compete, than Arkansas? Being in the same division as Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M is tough, to say the least.

Sure, but one thing that certainly isn't true is that a college football coach can be intimately involved in the offense and defense and all of the recruiting every single day. Coordinators are a big deal.

That's where Dabo is so smart, he's surrounded himself with great coordinators and assistants even though he could've made more money himself probably. Dabo is not a great football coach when it comes to actually coaching football, but he's proven to be a great coach in his management of the program with his staff and recruiting.

Dabo makes $9 million. I don't know that he would have made more starting out by trying to go cheap on coordinators.

He took less money earlier in his tenure as head coach to get and keep a top staff, but yes in the long run he's probably come out better.

Sure, but one thing that certainly isn't true is that a college football coach can be intimately involved in the offense and defense and all of the recruiting every single day. Coordinators are a big deal.

Very true.

What I'm wondering is exactly how much input Beilema had putting together the staff underneath him during his early years at Wisconsin. Beilema inherited Chryst from Barry Alvarez's staff and Doeren was brought on as the LB Coach at the same time. I'm sure Beilema had input, but if Alvarez was the one calling the final shots (and from everything I've read, Alvarez is still very hands-on with the Wisconsin program) I'm left wondering if Beilema is particularly adept at selecting the staff to work underneath him.

Very true.

What I'm wondering is exactly how much input Beilema had putting together the staff underneath him during his early years at Wisconsin. Beilema inherited Chryst from Barry Alvarez's staff and Doeren was brought on as the LB Coach at the same time. I'm sure Beilema had input, but if Alvarez was the one calling the final shots (and from everything I've read, Alvarez is still very hands-on with the Wisconsin program) I'm left wondering if Beilema is particularly adept at selecting the staff to work underneath him.

So why didn't Alvarez just pick better replacements for Chryst and Doeren since he's still very hands-on ?

Is there a worse job from the standpoint of fan expectations and realistic ability to compete, than Arkansas? Being in the same division as Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M is tough, to say the least.

Nutt and Petrino most likely maxed out what Arkansas is capable of

Say we live in an imaginary world where Wake has the means and ability to draw a new defensive coordinator from the available coaches this year, do you go with:

Bo Pelini
Lovie Smith or
Derek Mason

Smith was the DC under Mike Martz and the Rams so he has familiarity working with a fast paced offensive. Mason was a Broyles award finalist at Stanford, and is probably more familiar with recruiting the type of players Wake can get. Pelini's D with LSU in his first stint were probably some of the most dominant in college football.

I think I go with Mason though.

Unless there is someone else currently available people like better (I left out Dan Quinn and Matt Patricia, because even fantasy land has to have some reality)

Say we live in an imaginary world where Wake has the means and ability to draw a new defensive coordinator from the available coaches this year, do you go with:

Bo Pelini
Lovie Smith or
Derek Mason

Smith was the DC under Mike Martz and the Rams so he has familiarity working with a fast paced offensive. Mason was a Broyles award finalist at Stanford, and is probably more familiar with recruiting the type of players Wake can get. Pelini's D with LSU in his first stint were probably some of the most dominant in college football.

Unless there is someone else currently available people like better (I left out Dan Quinn and Matt Patricia, because even fantasy land has to have some reality)

That'd be my choice as well. Experience at a school similar to Wake. I like Lovie, but I think his best days are behind and I just don't like Pelini.

Bo Pelini
Lovie Smith or
Derek Mason

Will Muschamp or Kevin Steele.

Will Muschamp or Kevin Steele.

Both good picks, its crazy to think that LSU went from Muschamp to Pelini to Bradley Dale Peveto? From a culture stand point I don't see Muschamp or Pelini fitting in with Clawson's coaching staff, but I sure would love to see what they would do to our D. Muschamp would also bring a big recruiting boost in SC, GA and FL.

Any worry about Northwestern if Fitzgerald goes to NFL?

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Illinois fires Lovie; Auburn fires Malzahn

Any worry about Northwestern if Fitzgerald goes to NFL?

I’m not worried about Fitzgerald going to the NFL unless there’s some new scoop. I don’t think Clawson is a top candidate for jobs now either. If Wake was coming off another 8 win season, Northwestern is the job I’d be worried about.

There are rumors in Chicago that the only NFL job that interests Fitzgerald would be the Bears. Nagy's job is in the balance over the last two weeks. If Nagy gets fired, there is a feeling that the Bears would offer Fitzgerald and he would accept.

Back