• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

The optics of cutting salaries and then giving Fuentes a big buyout, that would likely cover many people's cuts, just are bad

Agree that optics are bad, but that is taking place at other schools. And Wake, while not agreeing as far as we know to any particular Manning buyout, will no doubt owe him several million when all said and done.

I don't really know much about Muschamp's or Fuentes' performance beyond the surface-level stuff, but I reject the idea that a tumultuous season is a bad time to evaluate a coach

in fact difficult seasons are a good test of leadership and team culture

is anybody unhappy with how Clawson has handled a tough situation?

I don't really know much about Muschamp's or Fuentes' performance beyond the surface-level stuff, but I reject the idea that a tumultuous season is a bad time to evaluate a coach

in fact difficult seasons are a good test of leadership and team culture

is anybody unhappy with how Clawson has handled a tough situation?

No. And I don't think we should fire Clawson.

The Hokies are 18-18 since the start of the 2018 season and trending downward over Fuente's five years. He's lost the fanbase and they've been passed by UVA and Wake Forest.

Agree that the optics for VT are bad given the amount of cash that Fuente will reportedly get ($10 million), but the school isn't paying that money. VT big donors are paying that money.

Also, the rumor is that these donors have influenced (forced) VT to make a move, because VT has taken on a big money sports facility project, and the money from their go to "whale" donors for this project is being held up to force VT to make a coaching change. FWIW, there are reports that Fuente is not popular among the players and fans. Also, as Biff stated, there is a concern that UVA has passed them as a program. Their recruiting has fallen off.

Issues like this change on a dime. Maybe Fuente saves his job if he beats UVA tomorrow.

Agree that the optics for VT are bad given the amount of cash that Fuente will reportedly get ($10 million), but the school isn't paying that money. VT big donors are paying that money.

Also, the rumor is that these donors have influenced (forced) VT to make a move, because VT has taken on a big money sports facility project, and the money from their go to "whale" donors for this project is being held up to force VT to make a coaching change. FWIW, there are reports that Fuente is not popular among the players and fans. Also, as Biff stated, there is a concern that UVA has passed them as a program. Their recruiting has fallen off.

Issues like this change on a dime. Maybe Fuente saves his job if he beats UVA tomorrow.

You know it's crazy to think that a decision that important involving that amount of money, could come down to beating a very average UVa team.

As we've all learned from the Bz & Manning disasters... It ultimately costs the school more money to take no action when the flagship program is a dumpster fire.

Like Herman at Texas, I'm surprised that Fuente hasn't more success.

They absolutely hate Fuente. He is not as open as Beamer was for all those years. Beamer apparently allowed a lot of access to the program to those who donated and those who didn't. That's one of the reasons why I think they suck so bad at fundraising. Why donate money when you got access and wins for little to nothing out of your pocket for decades? Fuente keeps it close to the chest at all times. He got roasted earlier this season for lack of transparency on how they were handling the virus. Caleb Farley opted out and then put them on blast for the lack of caution the program was taking towards it. He has also had some pretty brutal post game pressers lately when pressed on their struggles, which of course will further alienate the fanbase.

It’s true. Way of the world today.

“Murmurs” of interest in Clawson? By whom?

Again not doubting you - just curious as to the specifics of this. Like tweets? Message boards? Something else?

They absolutely hate Fuente. He is not as open as Beamer was for all those years. Beamer apparently allowed a lot of access to the program to those who donated and those who didn't. That's one of the reasons why I think they suck so bad at fundraising. Why donate money when you got access and wins for little to nothing out of your pocket for decades? Fuente keeps it close to the chest at all times. He got roasted earlier this season for lack of transparency on how they were handling the virus. Caleb Farley opted out and then put them on blast for the lack of caution the program was taking towards it. He has also had some pretty brutal post game pressers lately when pressed on their struggles, which of course will further alienate the fanbase.

Fuente is similar to {redacted} and DFL in that he won't win many press conferences, which is probably a tell on how he comes across to recruits. I seem him as also like them in that he may be perfectly fine as an assistant somewhere.

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Illinois fires Lovie; Auburn fires Malzahn

$21.5 million buyout after a 6-4 season in a pandemic? Ouch.

Fortunately for them Texas won’t be in. The market. I’m guessing them and Michigan will be the biggest players, but do not know who is even available to make a shortlist.

Last edited:
Auburn must have the most unrealistic fans in all of CFB.

Back