• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

This Tennessee thing is going to be great.

EsC3eiwW4AEO8WV

Heupel is an underwhelming hire. Was able to succeed at UCF in Year 1 with what Frost had built. Year 2 was a step back. Year 3 was mediocre, at best.

Feels like a lazy hire from the former UCF AD, but maybe the pool of candidates was shallow.

LOL, seriously ? That's the play ? Get rid of Fulmer and Pruitt and bring in the duo from UCF (but not the coach who went 14-0) ?

LOL, seriously ? That's the play ? Get rid of Fulmer and Pruitt and bring in the duo from UCF (but not the coach who went 14-0) ?

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I mean, Heupel isn't going to succeed, but it's a chance at a P5 job for him. And with the sanctions that are likely to come UT's way (in a year or two, depending on how long it takes the NCAA to act), there probably weren't a ton of candidates interested in taking the job. It's going to be a long rebuild based solely on attrition from the current roster... Throw in the potential for sanctions and it is likely that UT is going to suck (we're talking Vandy bad) for at least 2-3 years.

For UF and UGA fans, y’all have a surprisingly optimistic opinion of where Tennessee stands right now. We’re coming off 3-7, we’re going to demand 10 wins next season, and we may have an NCAA mess heading our way. Heupel was about as good as we were ever realistically going to do. I’m not thrilled with the hire, but I’m not thrilled with the last decade either.

I do think he inherits a more talented roster than any of Kiffin, Dooley, Butch, or Pruitt. So hope he gets them excited and turns it around.

But everyone is transferring and sanctions seem inevitable. And that includes some of Tennessee’s best players. Bailey is a good web to build around but who knows if he’ll stay and if it’s possible to accomplish while he’s still eligible.

Cade Mays’ dad may have to lose a couple more fingers to get his boys immediate eligibility somewhere else.

Heupel has a good history of QB development in his background. As a recruiter and a head coach, though, too small a sample size. What UT wants and what they need right now are two different things. They need somebody to provide the appearance of a clean program (think Grobe to Baylor) and who can oversee a rebuild. Jesus, half their team is in the portal and teams like Oklahoma are poaching some of their best players. UT may be at Vandy level next year.

Tennessee fans will want 9 wins by year 2 or they'll start carrying torches through the streets. Saban, Dabo, and Kirby have pushed the Vols to the back of the recruiting line.

Sums up Alabama-UGA football pretty well:

I think we’re going to be able to put Les Miles and Kansas on here in the next few days. They just placed him on leave.

Back