• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

Weird hire. Feels like when NFL teams hire a failed former head coach.

My man got paid too. $4.2 million a year for the next six. I would say Illinois probably overpaid for his services.

So was he their choice over Clawson or did Clawson turn em down first?

Clawson's one adventure with "Big State University " did not go well. I suspect that may influence his evaluation of an opportunity like this.

Clawson's one adventure with "Big State University " did not go well. I suspect that may influence his evaluation of an opportunity like this.

In light of that, what would we consider the most likely job he would ever take - combining both what he would be interested in (insofar as we know) and who would realistically be interested in him? Would it in fact be something like a more lateral B1G move just because of a pay raise? I'm sure his stock isn't soaring but he's solid enough to show he's a program builder.

I actually think it’s a pretty good hire for Illinois. They’re a dead end type of program, so good on them for getting a guy who has won multiple B1G titles. I think his results at Wisconsin outweigh the Arkansas results. They overpaid, but that’s what dead end programs have to do.

They’re a dead end program because they keep hiring dead end coaches.

In light of that, what would we consider the most likely job he would ever take - combining both what he would be interested in (insofar as we know) and who would realistically be interested in him? Would it in fact be something like a more lateral B1G move just because of a pay raise? I'm sure his stock isn't soaring but he's solid enough to show he's a program builder.

Right now I don't see a conjunction. I would guess the ceiling on interested schools is around the level of P5 school that is in and out of the top 25.

I would guess that is where he thinks he would have had Wake this season. Ranked and playing Clemson for the division title in the last game of the season. Somebody did a projection of Wake's record if the original schedule had happened and came out with 9-3. That would have been top 25 half the season or so.

Then came Covid. Wake didn't have another top 10 in the nation wide receiver to just plug in when Sage opted out.

My guess is that Clawson would like to move to a school that has the fan base, resources, facilities, recruiting base and history to have a realistic shot at a national title. Clawson would need to get Wake to top 25 status to get interest of schools in this category. Notre Dame, if Brian Kelly moved on would be such a place.

Last edited:
Right now I don't see a conjunction. I would guess the ceiling on interested schools is around the level of P5 school that is in and out of the top 25.

I would guess that is where he thinks he would have had Wake this season. Ranked and playing Clemson for the division title in the last game of the season. Somebody did a projection of Wake's record if the original schedule had happened and came out with 9-3. That would have been top 25 half the season or so.

Then came Covid. Wake didn't have another top 10 in the nation wide receiver to just plug in when Sage opted out.

My guess is that Clawson would like to move to a school that has the fan base, resources, facilities, recruiting base and history to have a realistic shot at a national title. Clawson would need to get Wake to top 25 status to get interest of schools in this category. Notre Dame, if Brian Kelly moved on would be such a place.

Right, private schools like Notre Dame or USC are the kinds of schools I was thinking of. But they aren't going to be interested in him. So I've assumed his move, if any, would be a B1G type school that's always been behind its peers and is willing to spend to try to catch up. In that sense Illinois would have made some sense if the price was right for him.

Right, private schools like Notre Dame or USC are the kinds of schools I was thinking of. But they aren't going to be interested in him. So I've assumed his move, if any, would be a B1G type school that's always been behind its peers and is willing to spend to try to catch up. In that sense Illinois would have made some sense if the price was right for him.

Clawson wants to win. He has won conference titles at each previous head coaching stop. I think he wants that chance at Wake. Win games. Play Clemson late for the division title. Catch some breaks. (Like have Clemson in the health situation they were in against Notre Dame.) Win division. Win ACC title.

ETA: He could go lateral to another P5 conference division where there isn't a regular national title contender contender. As you noted, it would need to be someplace willing to spend on everything. IDK if Illinois is there.

Last edited:
I actually think it’s a pretty good hire for Illinois. They’re a dead end type of program, so good on them for getting a guy who has won multiple B1G titles. I think his results at Wisconsin outweigh the Arkansas results. They overpaid, but that’s what dead end programs have to do.

Yeah, I’m not sure how many top coaching candidates were interested in the Illinois job.

A job like that doesn’t need a “top coaching candidate” who has freefalled into the job. It needs an up and comer.

Clawson wants to win. He has won conference titles at each previous head coaching stop. I think he wants that chance at Wake. Win games. Play Clemson late for the division title. Catch some breaks. (Like have Clemson in the health situation they were in against Notre Dame.) Win division. Win ACC title.

ETA: He could go lateral to another P5 conference division where there isn't a regular national title contender contender. As you noted, it would need to be someplace willing to spend on everything. IDK if Illinois is there.

I could only see him leaving for SEC or Big 10 and he wouldn't have it any easier to win a championship there than he does at Wake. In the SEC, there is always Alabama and 2 or 3 others. In the Big 10, there is always Ohio St.

Maybe the right Big 12 gig would work as well. The round-robin schedule opens the door to a lot of weird scenarios that could open the door to the CFP.

The old "3 or 4 yards and a cloud of dust" Big 10 mentality obviously has no place in today's college football and they hired a " 3 or 4 yards and a cloud of dust" coach. Smart!

I don't think it's a bad hire for Illinois.

I do think they probably overpaid, but I think everyone overpays.

Back