• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

Les Miles and Kansas have “mutually agreed” to part ways.

Who knew that fatty Mark Mangino was such an elite coach?

mvd9kfy4jid11.jpg

In 8 seasons at Kansas, he had a winning record, took Kansas to an Orange Bowl, three other bowls, a #7 ranking in the Final polls and won national coach of the year in 2007 (Mangino was fired after he was accused of being abusive toward players and staff: he also had been charged with NCAA rules infractions, but had survived those issues).

Since Magnino's firing, these are the records of his successors:

Turner Gill 5-19 (1-16)
Charlie Weis 5-22 (1-18)
Clint Bowen 1-7 (1-7)
David Beaty 6-42 (2-34)
Les Miles 3-18 (1-16)

FWIW, Mangino is the only coach to leave KS with a winning record since the early 50s (a run of 15 coaches).

Last edited:
I am wincing just looking at that picture of Mark Mangino. How does a person that fat even go through life, especially as a college football coach.

I am wincing just looking at that picture of Mark Mangino. How does a person that fat even go through life, especially as a college football coach.

Is he still alive?

Shockingly, Mangino is still alive at 64. If there was ever a walking billboard for a COVID victim, it would be Mangino.

His last coaching stop was OC for Iowa State in 2015, where he was fired in the middle of the season -- Warren Sawvel style.

I can't resist posting lard-ass Mangino pics.

1mangino.jpg

Keeping with the trend, Kansas also hired "husky" Charlie Weis:

CharlieWeis333Kans.jpg

How do guys like that even attempt to convince their players of the importance of strength and conditioning?

How do guys like that even attempt to convince their players of the importance of strength and conditioning?

If you're able to convince someone they want to play football at Kansas you can convince them of anything.

Heard that it is now on the SEC Commissioner to do something about LSU. Or not. Multiple AD's and presidents at LSU haven't done jack.

Heard that it is now on the SEC Commissioner to do something about LSU. Or not. Multiple AD's and presidents at LSU haven't done jack.

It’s a culture thing at LSU.
Or lack of it.

The fallout from the Les Miles scandal has claimed another victim. Kansas fired their AD Jeff Long today. Long hired Miles and signed him to a lucrative contract. Wonder if KS will hire a HC first or an AD first.

The fallout from the Les Miles scandal has claimed another victim. Kansas fired their AD Jeff Long today. Long hired Miles and signed him to a lucrative contract. Wonder if KS will hire a HC first or an AD first.

Not surprised. What a mess.
I would think they’d get the AD first.

Pilch - btw, I laugh each time I look at the fat photos you posted above. Nice work.

Wake Forest graduate assistant Quincy Casimir has also joined the Ole Miss Rebels.

This seems like a monumental development. Or not.

"also?" Did someone else from our staff go there?

Last edited:
Graduate assistants should be moving on and getting jobs. That’s kind of what the position is all about.

"also?" Did someone else from our staff go there?

No. That was from a blurb about Ole Miss staff additions. The first line was something like so and so from elsewhere was named assistant coach...

Graduate assistants should be moving on and getting jobs. That’s kind of what the position is all about.

I agree. I hadn't seen that tidbit mentioned before. Cycling grad assistants through is part of evaluating guys for potential as coaches. Bring those guys in, train them, send them out. Keep in touch. Consider the promising ones when staff openings occur.

Back