• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 College Football Coaching Carousel: Sark to Texas

Have to assume so.

I expect activity on this thread will pick up over the upcoming days and weeks.

Sounds like South Carolina is closing in on a hire (Shane Beamer?) but there is speculation the AD is taking another shot at Matt Campbell before offering the job officially to Beamer.

I also heard Clawson was (or still is?) a part of the SC process to some degree but no idea whether the initial interest came from the Clawson side or the SC side.

Matt Campbell might want to hold out for that Michigan job that should be coming open at the end of the year. He's a perfect fit there and Michigan is in a desperate situation. He's not going to South Carolina if Michigan is a possibility.

Seems like Matt Campbell and Luke Fickell would both have a shot at the Michigan or Texas jobs, assuming they open up.

I'm guessing Clay Helton gets a pass, especially if they win the PAC12 South.

WTF is Vandy even doing ? They're going to pay Mason buyout money that they ought to be using to improve facilities and everything else about that program. What the heck are they going to do to attract any other decent football coach ? Clearly they can't compete with Georgia and Florida right now, but there's no reason that whole program should be in such disarray and it's not Derek Mason's fault.

How much do they owe Mason? Vandy sucks and Mason probably should be canned, but spending extra money in a pandemic doesn't seem smart. Hell, just let him coach out the season.

How much do they owe Mason? Vandy sucks and Mason probably should be canned, but spending extra money in a pandemic doesn't seem smart. Hell, just let him coach out the season.

Vandy is a private school like Wake, so you can only guess what the payout is but he was given an extension in 2019 and the buyout was believed to be pretty big at that time.

He got a 3 year extension last year when he had three years left on his contract. His last estimated salary was $2.8M+. So they likely owe him a ton of cash.

Sounds like South Carolina is closing in on a hire (Shane Beamer?) but there is speculation the AD is taking another shot at Matt Campbell before offering the job officially to Beamer.

I also heard Clawson was (or still is?) a part of the SC process to some degree but no idea whether the initial interest came from the Clawson side or the SC side.

Wasn't Beamer Tommy Elrod's connection for the VT game in Wakileaks? Not that it made any difference that day.

All the football alumni want Shane Beamer and they are not going to be letting AD Tanner make the decision on his own with his track record for football & baseball. There is a committee my alumna son & donor says. Looks like Shane Beamer will be the head coach & bring in Garrett Riley from SMU as his OC.

Because they have $7 billion in their endowment and maybe are tired of losing, just like SC who already fired their coach, Michigan and a few others will be this year when they also fire their coaches. [Texas, Arizona, Tennessee, Nebraska, VT, Syracuse, Kansas and maybe a few more on this list of possibilities]

If Vandy is tired of losing they should spend some of that endowment on upgrading their facilities, not buying out yet another coach (James Franklin notwithstanding), if that's even possible.

Hiring a new coach is not likely enough to make Vandy an attactive choice for potential recruits and I personally have no earthly idea why anyone would go there to play football. At least at Wake you're only probably going to get embarrassed once a year.

Back