• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend one book by each of these authors

I'm struggling with Lonesome Dove right now....it's a slow starter. I understand character development but....c'mon let's go...going to keep pushing as it's a universally acclaimed novel. Just a slow start.

This is fair. There's a shitton of talking about pigs at the beginning of the novel. Hang in there. It's worth it. As are the other 3 in the series.

Glad to see everyone is reading "the giants" of literature.

Just spend the time you'd waste reading those other crap writers on reading anything you can by King and to a lesser extent Crichton(save Disclosure).

or you could read all of those for fun in the time it takes to read one king book

another vote for Pillars of the Earth; also Eye of the Needle and Dangerous Fortune by Follett. All are entertaining.

If you like all of those authors, I recommend Jeffrey Archer - his older books for sure. First Among Equals was a really good read. A lot of his newer books are kind of throwaways though - notably the Clifton series.

Finally, while I think Stuart Woods is the WORST for churning out crap books just to pay bills, his older books are good. Chiefs in particular was great.

Totally agree, Patterson is another who has gone strictly commercial. His early novels were good, but he now uses other authors and puts out 3 or 4 each month.

Still can't go wrong with "The Firm" by Grisham and "IT" by King. I have read both about 10-20 times. Both authors have watered down there offerings as time has gone on but I still read them. About every 5th book is really good.

John Sandford is another guy I will read as I love the character(s) of Lucas Davenport & Virgil Flowers.

I co-sign the Sandford recommendation

For King I think the obvious choice is The Stand. It was an early book but I don't think anything he has written since surpassed it. Get the author's version he brought out later where he added like 100 pages back in that his editors had originally removed.

I'm struggling with Lonesome Dove right now....it's a slow starter. I understand character development but....c'mon let's go...going to keep pushing as it's a universally acclaimed novel. Just a slow start.

Yeah, once it gets going though.....you'll love it.

I’ve read books by a few on this list but some of them I know only through movie versions. If you had to recommend just one book by each of these, what would you pick?

Stephen King
James Patterson
Robert Ludlum
John Grisham
Dan Brown
Michael Crichton
Clive Cussler
Ken Follett

The Pillars of the Earth prequel is now out - showed up on my kindle overnight. I'll report back in a week.

Back