• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

I’ve only read a few pages of this thread. A few thoughts follow: this thread is wild. Hpdeac is wild.

Some of you make me feel sick that I’m a Wake alum. You actually have an issue with our players promoting racial equity? The amount of posts that sound something like- hey, I’m happy to watch a bunch of black students sacrifice their bodies for my school, but I don’t want to hear them talk about their own civil rights, is the epitome of privilege. They have to demonstrably say “black lives matter,” because they’re on a campus that often makes them feel like they don’t day in and day out. Do you know how many black alums have shared that article with pride this week? So many of our black student athletes experienced race related trauma on campus. These students are a voice for them now- on a national stage. That is important. They are doing something that really means a lot to so many people- alums who never had that opportunity, members of the WS community who don’t seem themselves reflected in the Wake student body, and future students. I’m sure I’ll get plenty of hate for this, but if you’re okay with watching young black men sacrifice their bodies and sometimes their brains on the football field, but you’re not okay with them saying their own lives matter, you are a raging racist. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
Creepy Bob must be mad he can’t zoom in on some cheerleaders this year

Some of you make me feel sick that I’m a Wake alum. You actually have an issue with our players promoting racial equity? The amount of posts that sound something like- hey, I’m happy to watch a bunch of black students sacrifice their bodies for my school, but I don’t want to hear them talk about their own civil rights, is the epitome of privilege. They have to demonstrably say “black lives matter,” because they’re on a campus that often makes them feel like they don’t day in and day out. Do you know how many black alums have shared that article with pride this week? So many of our black student athletes experienced race related trauma on campus. These students are a voice for them now- on a national stage. That is important. They are doing something that really means a lot to so many people- alums who never had that opportunity, members of the WS community who don’t seem themselves reflected in the Wake student body, and future students. I’m sure I’ll get plenty of hate for this, but if you’re okay with watching young black men sacrifice their bodies and sometimes their brains on the football field, but you’re not okay with them saying their own lives matter, you are a raging racist. Plain and simple.

Yep

Or tragically insensitive and unempathetic.

👍

AcceptableBlondBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif

that's it...season boycotted

All black, interesting. Need to stew on how angry this makes me.

Hard to believe that we have fans and (past) supporters who have any qualms with this. Truly unbelievable. I'm proud of our team and coaches for doing their part to advance the message. If we lose a couple of closed minded fans along the way then so be it.

The only reason the “black lives matter organization” has hijacked the “black lives matter movement” is because plenty of people on the right have chosen to criticize the former to undermine the latter. How many people who are chanting “black lives matter” in the streets actually mean “I fully endorse the black lives matter organization and adopt all tenets that they subscribe to as listed on their website?”

"We have the right to speak and have our voices heard. You don’t necessarily have to agree, but we deserve that right to speak our voice and speak our mind and have it heard."

Doesn't that sum up what this country is all about? Too many people forget that from all sides.

I'll add that: While reading some of these comments here and in the Facebook groups (before comments were turned off, which shouldn't happen, but I digress) were alarming and disconcerting ...

Wednesday's story got linked up on a Clemson site (Tigernet.com, I believe) and holy shit do they have some racist asshats in their fan base.

Back