• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

CB and WR. If CB can be average and receivers can get separation, this team could win 6 or 7 games. If we really feel the drop-off at both positions then we will win 4. This is given we play a full season.

We won't beat Clemson but I do expect us to have a better showing than the last couple years. 41-13 and the game is somewhat in-hand at halftime.

Those last two awful losses to Clemson were in far different situations. Two years ago, the defense was completely depleted and WF was playing walk-ons at LB and S; Clemson averaged over 10 ypc in that game. Last year, WF was coming off the VT loss, and was again banged up (no Sage, no Scotty, Greene made his first appearance). After the VT loss, WF had a must win game against Duke on deck. Clawson played that game to just get it over with. I think tomorrow's game will be closer to the 2017 game (28-14) or 2016 game (35-13) when Clemson was still loaded, but WF competed.

Clemson only returns 1 OL starter, and the is missing most of the top players off their defense. Again, not claiming that WF is going to hang in and win, just that this isn't the mismatch the 2018 and 2019 games were.

the Deacs beat one team -- Utah State -- that finished the season better than .500

I'm not saying the Deacs can't be better, but they weren't that good last year -- Sagarin rating #60 -- and they lost four starters on the OL, their best DB, their best LB, about half their rushing yards, and their four top receiving yardage leaders (78% of output) while the emerging recruiting classes are ranked (using 24/7) 59th (2019 class) and 60th (2020 class), respectively

Those last two awful losses to Clemson were in far different situations. Two years ago, the defense was completely depleted and WF was playing walk-ons at LB and S; Clemson averaged over 10 ypc in that game. Last year, WF was coming off the VT loss, and was again banged up (no Sage, no Scotty, Greene made his first appearance). After the VT loss, WF had a must win game against Duke on deck. Clawson played that game to just get it over with. I think tomorrow's game will be closer to the 2017 game (28-14) or 2016 game (35-13) when Clemson was still loaded, but WF competed.

Clemson only returns 1 OL starter, and the is missing most of the top players off their defense. Again, not claiming that WF is going to hang in and win, just that this isn't the mismatch the 2018 and 2019 games were.

We can improve our performance by 21 points over the last two years (we might come close to that), and Clemson will still cover -33 (and I think they will, on ESPN prime time)

the Deacs beat one team -- Utah State -- that finished the season better than .500

I get where you are going with this, and I think there is some validity to your point, but I absolutely hate the use of this stat in CFB, it gets thrown out there in misleading ways all that time.

For starters, UNC finished at 7-6 last year. Also, would anyone care if Rice or Elon had finished over 0.500 last year? Lastly, FSU finished 6-7 last year, BC 6-7, and Duke 5-7. If those teams won their bowl game, any other game, or just beat Wake, they would have been over/at 0.500.

I'm not saying the Deacs can't be better, but they weren't that good last year -- Sagarin rating #60 -- and they lost four starters on the OL, their best DB, their best LB, about half their rushing yards, and their four top receiving yardage leaders (78% of output) while the emerging recruiting classes are ranked (using 24/7) 59th (2019 class) and 60th (2020 class), respectively

Let's be accurate here. WF did not lose 4 starters on its OL. It lost 3, and there is a ton of returning OL experience. RS JR Zach Tom started all 13 games last year. He returns. RS JR Sean Maginn played in all 13 games; started 11 at OG. He returns. RS JR Loic Nya played in all 13 games, started 3. He returns. RS SO Michael Jurgens played in all 13 games. He returns. RS Senior Talani Surhen played in all 13 games last year. He returns RS SR Je'Vionte Nash played in 9 games last year, and has played in 25 games in his career. He returns. In addition, there are three other returning OL that have played, including Allan Rappleyea who played in 9 games in 2018, but missed last season with an injury. The Deacs aren't trotting out a bunch of experienced OL.

"The best LB" from last year Justin Strnad essentially missed the last half of the season. So, WF has already played a ton of games without him. Yes, WF loses Bassey and Henderson, but their play was off and on last year. Yes, WF takes a big loss at receiver, but again Surratt missed the last 4 games last year, and Greene emerged. I feel good about RB with Walker, CBS and the two frosh. Good teams lose good players, but they have good players behind them. I think that is where WF is right now. Maybe, I'm wrong, but feel like Clawson has built a sustainable program.

Let's be accurate here. WF did not lose 4 starters on its OL. It lost 3, and there is a ton of returning OL experience. RS JR Zach Tom started all 13 games last year. He returns. RS JR Sean Maginn played in all 13 games; started 11 at OG. He returns. RS JR Loic Nya played in all 13 games, started 3. He returns. RS SO Michael Jurgens played in all 13 games. He returns. RS Senior Talani Surhen played in all 13 games last year. He returns RS SR Je'Vionte Nash played in 9 games last year, and has played in 25 games in his career. He returns. In addition, there are three other returning OL that have played, including Allan Rappleyea who played in 9 games in 2018, but missed last season with an injury. The Deacs aren't trotting out a bunch of experienced OL.

"The best LB" from last year Justin Strnad essentially missed the last half of the season. So, WF has already played a ton of games without him. Yes, WF loses Bassey and Henderson, but their play was off and on last year. Yes, WF takes a big loss at receiver, but again Surratt missed the last 4 games last year, and Greene emerged. I feel good about RB with Walker, CBS and the two frosh. Good teams lose good players, but they have good players behind them. I think that is where WF is right now. Maybe, I'm wrong, but feel like Clawson has built a sustainable program.

This is good nuance. I really think 3 OL losses is more accurate. Maginn and Nya split reps last year, and both are ready to start. Tom should be solid at LT. I like Jurgens at C -- it's always good to see RS So. emerge. Nash will be a question at RT, but he was pushing Benzinger for the role 2 years ago. Note, while I like your analysis, the game time for Suhren, Nash, and Jurgens came heavily from special teams. Pretty sure Suhren is even on kick coverage. All will be very new to actual OL reps.

Agreed, LB looks very deep. Williams looked great in place of Strnad last year. Smenda is still there. DJ Taylor and Burley back from injury. Monroe one more year removed and hopefully in better shape. Chase Jones is an emerging talent. And maybe we'll see something from Ranson or Hudson.

Offense definitely has the most question marks. Receiver is light without Sage. We need Perry and Groulx to step up. I like the reports on Morin and hope he can claim the slot position. I also feel fine about replacing Carney with Walker and the frosh. Loved Cade and he was a great leader, but I think the talent is obvious from Walker and he can pick up the slack.

Also to Juice's point, why hold the recruiting class against us? That's who we have always been. We had a similar ranked class in 2016 produce Dortch, Boogie, Bassey, Newman, Carney, Maggio, JacQuez Williams. I think we've shown ability to recruit and develop players above their rankings.

I don't see this game telling us much if anything about our team this year. WF could be much improved and it's not going to be reflected in the score. Next week will be more informative.

CP3 is the celeb picker on Gameday

There’s really no else it would be. Next pick would probably be Webb Simpson but he’s busy getting ready for next weekend. Then you’re looking at maybe John Collins. Do we have any mainstream celebrities popular enough?

There’s really no else it would be. Next pick would probably be Webb Simpson but he’s busy getting ready for next weekend. Then you’re looking at maybe John Collins. Do we have any mainstream celebrities popular enough?

The Bachelor guys

The WF alum that has been in the news most recently has been Richard Burr, but he may too busy buying stock in the first Pharma that will get the first FDA approval.

They could also get one of our Bachelor participants as that is an ABC product.

Last edited:
Cheyanne Woods. People would recognize the last name at least.

Steve Forbes would be fine with me.

Good piece thanks, Bobby Seale still at it.

The first part is telling though. Public perception of gun toting police patrols, for self-defense”. Well gun-toting certainly sticks in the public physche. Seems not unlike what a lot of gun toting rednecks in these militias are saying. “ for self defense” only.

Ridicule and blow back against placing a symbol of solidarity on a football helmet? Placing a sticker on a helmet is about as peaceful as a protest gets, but I guess it's not the right kind of peaceful protest?

The Bachelor guys

The WF alum that has been in the news most recently has been Richard Burr, but he may too busy buying stock in the first Pharma that will get the first FDA approval.

They could also get one of our Bachelor participants as that is an ABC product.

Yeah. That makes sense. Figure they'll factor into the show somehow.

It's been a long time since I've watched a whole Gameday. It's been a long time since I've woken up by 9:00 on Saturday morning aside from travel.

"Are you not entertained?" - Maximus in Gladiator

Maximus isn't asking the audience if they're entertained because he wants to separate sport and politics though. Considering he throws a maximus at the spectators before he says that, I'm pretty sure his words are a criticism of the Roman's blind enjoyment of sport.

He's calling them mindless idiots because they're there just for the sport and could care less about the people on the sand below. When they cheer, it only underlines how foolish they appear for that choice.

A weird quote/scene to use if you're trying to argue that sports is "just" entertainment.

also just generally lol at your outro : "the solution to racism is just so mind-bogglingly complex that since none of us have it we should just chill out and let time do its thing" is shockingly uninformed and weak. good lord. read a book, dude.

CB is the biggest question mark and potential greatest liability.

Lots of talent to step up at WR.

Maximus isn't asking the audience if they're entertained because he wants to separate sport and politics though. Considering he throws a maximus at the spectators before he says that, I'm pretty sure his words are a criticism of the Roman's blind enjoyment of sport.

He's calling them mindless idiots because they're there just for the sport and could care less about the people on the sand below. When they cheer, it only underlines how foolish they appear for that choice.

A weird quote/scene to use if you're trying to argue that sports is "just" entertainment.

Point still stands.

Point still stands.

Fair. I wasn't really offering a response to the "sports is just entertainment" arg, I just think it's pretty funny how badly he misread that scene just because it has the word "entertainment" in there.

Fair. I wasn't really offering a response to the "sports is just entertainment" arg, I just think it's pretty funny how badly he misread that scene just because it has the word "entertainment" in there.

Sorry, bro. I basically only speak in board memes now. You need to head over to the tunnels more. My post is actually an affirmation of your post.

Back