• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Week 1 - Clemson discussion

Definitely the least I've ever cared about Wake football or college football in general. Just seems so small compared to everything else that actually matters going on in the world. Surely doesn't help that we play Clemson and Notre Dame in the first few weeks and that there's no real tangible goal for the season for most teams playing.

Dear god, numbers. Find some joy.

Dear god, numbers. Find some joy.

I don't know that's kind of where I've been at too. This damn year has been so screwed up, it feels like college football is just an exhibition season this year. So many teams not playing, the schedule redo that totally screwed us, Sage opting out, no fans, it just doesn't feel like a real season. I mean I'll be watching Saturday night, be the first home game I've watched on TV instead of being there since 2001 and I'll be hoping just maybe we do something really special.

Just got an e-mail that the Fairgrounds will be open for Drive-In Theater viewing of College Gameday and the game itself Saturday night. So, you want people to drive to Winston, sit in their cars basically across the street from where this is happening to watch on a drive-in screen? No thanks

I 100 percent understand the black lives matter on the helmet but don't get the raised fist? Wasn't this used by communist repressive governments and movements? I asked a fellow wake guy who is cuban and whose grandparents escaped Castro and he was pretty upset wake was using the raised fist symbol. What am I missing here? Does it have other meanings?

I 100 percent understand the black lives matter on the helmet but don't get the raised fist? Wasn't this used by communist repressive governments and movements? I asked a fellow wake guy who is cuban and whose grandparents escaped Castro and he was pretty upset wake was using the raised fist symbol. What am I missing here? Does it have other meanings?

Was a Black Power gesture in the 60s/70s

I guarantee you up until recently many fellow millennials would not have known it. I honestly associated it with communism

Millennials and younger are much more likely to know more about movements like BLM than communism. It's not something we grew up to fear.

Having an interesting discussion over on "Les's board" and I am a bit surprised that people don't know the origin story of Black Lives Matter or how it is organized. I think very few people know that BLM was initially organized by straight, gay, as well as gender-neutral young black people. So, essentially no male-identifying folks. Or that it tries to thread a needle of not having a hierarchy but trying to maintain messaging and brand. The founders/organizers did not want to be targeted as leaders, didn't want to be pushed aside by Men, and wanted the organization to be incredibly inclusive.

The fact that is somehow intertwined with ANTIFA - as if it is some Black Panther splinter group is far far from reality.

I guarantee you up until recently many fellow millennials would not have known it. I honestly associated it with communism

Are you from the US? In this country, it’s associated with Black Power movements.

Trying to be constructive, I get the connection to Communism. I'm an old, but I think you are being slightly unfair PH. That said, the 68 Olympics, when both Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fist (one had a black glove on, I believe), is absolutely a historic image that should have been part of any high school American history course one would think (read: hope).

Maybe the 2021 edition will include it?

Having an interesting discussion over on "Les's board" and I am a bit surprised that people don't know the origin story of Black Lives Matter or how it is organized. I think very few people know that BLM was initially organized by straight, gay, as well as gender-neutral young black people. So, essentially no male-identifying folks. Or that it tries to thread a needle of not having a hierarchy but trying to maintain messaging and brand. The founders/organizers did not want to be targeted as leaders, didn't want to be pushed aside by Men, and wanted the organization to be incredibly inclusive.

The fact that is somehow intertwined with ANTIFA - as if it is some Black Panther splinter group is far far from reality.

FOX NEWS propaganda machine tries to make the connection between antifa and BLM. Unfortunately too many suckers watch.

Seems BLM could actually use some structure if they wish to make actual change which means law and subsequent accountability.

As for the helmet art. I’m NOT ok with the fist although I am very supportive of the messaging much as the NBA has done. Wake being out in front here with a black power symbol which was related to the black panther movement which did in fact have violence as a lever - nah.

“I feel to some degree that right now the relationships in our program are more honest than they’ve ever been,” Coach Dave Clawson said. “I don’t feel there’s any subject with our players that we can’t talk about. There’s no, ‘Don’t go there, it’s not football.’ Everything is wide-open.

“And I think overall it’s been incredibly healthy for the relationships we have with our players. … I think some of the relationships between our white players and our Black players have gotten even closer through these last four or five months.”

Story on the display and what it means for Wake's players.

“Black Panther Party using violence as a lever” is a conservative talking point before there was Fox News.

Self-Defense was in the name and there were plenty of reasons for Black men in the 1960s to need self-defense from racist white people. White mobs were killing Black people for voting and registering Black people to vote. Self-defense was crucial to building a political movement that could withstand the violence that had derailed progress over the last 100 years post-Civil War.

Here’s a good interview that explains it.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-truth-about-the-party-that-brought-power-to-the-people/

Joiner: In some circles, the Black Panthers were considered militant and opposed to the nonviolent actions of Dr. King.

Seale: Not true. We exercised the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America that, by law, gives us the right, the civil right, to peacefully assemble and to peacefully redress our grievances. We had numerous peaceful rallies, etc. all across this country, just like Dr. King. The only thing we said was, ‘If these racists come in here and attack us, we will defend ourselves.’ That’s all we said. We will defend ourselves. If you come in here shooting at us, we will defend ourselves. We’re defending our constitutional, democratic civil human rights to have peaceful protest, to be able to register to vote, to be able to unify our people, to be able to win some of those political power seats and further move to change the laws and the racist city charters and supervisorial city charters and our county seats and stuff.

Last edited:
“I feel to some degree that right now the relationships in our program are more honest than they’ve ever been,” Coach Dave Clawson said. “I don’t feel there’s any subject with our players that we can’t talk about. There’s no, ‘Don’t go there, it’s not football.’ Everything is wide-open.

“And I think overall it’s been incredibly healthy for the relationships we have with our players. … I think some of the relationships between our white players and our Black players have gotten even closer through these last four or five months.”

Story on the display and what it means for Wake's players.

Good article. Real proud of these guys. The quote from Williams is strong.

“Black Panther Party using violence as a lever” is a conservative talking point before there was Fox News.

Self-Defense was in the name and there were plenty of reasons for Black men in the 1960s to need self-defense from racist white people. White mobs were killing Black people for voting and registering Black people to vote. Self-defense was crucial to building a political movement that could withstand the violence that had derailed progress over the last 100 years post-Civil War.

Here’s a good interview that explains it.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-truth-about-the-party-that-brought-power-to-the-people/

Joiner: In some circles, the Black Panthers were considered militant and opposed to the nonviolent actions of Dr. King.

Seale: Not true. We exercised the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America that, by law, gives us the right, the civil right, to peacefully assemble and to peacefully redress our grievances. We had numerous peaceful rallies, etc. all across this country, just like Dr. King. The only thing we said was, ‘If these racists come in here and attack us, we will defend ourselves.’ That’s all we said. We will defend ourselves. If you come in here shooting at us, we will defend ourselves. We’re defending our constitutional, democratic civil human rights to have peaceful protest, to be able to register to vote, to be able to unify our people, to be able to win some of those political power seats and further move to change the laws and the racist city charters and supervisorial city charters and our county seats and stuff.

Good piece thanks, Bobby Seale still at it.

The first part is telling though. Public perception of gun toting police patrols, for self-defense”. Well gun-toting certainly sticks in the public physche. Seems not unlike what a lot of gun toting rednecks in these militias are saying. “ for self defense” only.

I have finally decided to post after many years of just reading. I wanted to be clear that after over 40 years of being a Wake fan (not an alum), I am not supporting the football team after learning their helmets signs and symbols. Anyone who doesn’t understand BLM Marxist views and their violent actions around the country has to look up their mission statement and info on their website. Personally, I am not supporting NBA, NFL, and all other pro sports leagues that are doing this “social justice” movement. And now, my favorite college has decided to jump on the bandwagon. I am praying that sports can be sports and all these other movements can be off the field actions if they want to do something they deem productive.

Sorry, I just don’t understand why sports are alienating at least half the country as the silent majority doesn’t obviously post on these boards. And if they do, they are considered racist and ignorant. So they stay silent.

I am glad the sports department allowed me to get out of my season tickets this year as I don’t want to be associated with Wake football, at least this year. I am aware that most posters will disagree with me but I am one of the silent majority that is tired of where sports is going in this country. Please respect my opinion as I am a huge Wake fan as we all are. But I won’t be watching Wake football this year. Everyone on here basically said “great for them” and they are “doing great things” but if colleges follow the pro sport models of BLM, it will be sad. Even if you agree with this movement, what does sports have to do with it?

I have finally decided to post after many years of just reading. I wanted to be clear that after over 40 years of being a Wake fan (not an alum), I am not supporting the football team after learning their helmets signs and symbols. Anyone who doesn’t understand BLM Marxist views and their violent actions around the country has to look up their mission statement and info on their website. Personally, I am not supporting NBA, NFL, and all other pro sports leagues that are doing this “social justice” movement. And now, my favorite college has decided to jump on the bandwagon. I am praying that sports can be sports and all these other movements can be off the field actions if they want to do something they deem productive.

Sorry, I just don’t understand why sports are alienating at least half the country as the silent majority doesn’t obviously post on these boards. And if they do, they are considered racist and ignorant. So they stay silent.

I am glad the sports department allowed me to get out of my season tickets this year as I don’t want to be associated with Wake football, at least this year. I am aware that most posters will disagree with me but I am one of the silent majority that is tired of where sports is going in this country. Please respect my opinion as I am a huge Wake fan as we all are. But I won’t be watching Wake football this year. Everyone on here basically said “great for them” and they are “doing great things” but if colleges follow the pro sport models of BLM, it will be sad. Even if you agree with this movement, what does sports have to do with it?

Is not the issue that BLM actually has no structure. Multiple points of view including some stupid radical. Is any website actually the official BLM website? I don’t know the answer. For all you know the fucking Russians could be hosting the site you visited holding those views,

3428636.gif

Back