• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News Rankings: We're No. 28! Yay......at $75K a year?

Brangus

Reaction score
Last edited:
when was the last time a school made a major change up the rankings? it's always the same schools in the same position, just shuffled around a few places each year.

when was the last time a school made a major change up the rankings? it's always the same schools in the same position, just shuffled around a few places each year.

As a follow up, what does it take for a school to make a big jump, say greater than 5 places. For example, Wake seems to hover between 25-30 so what would it take for them to move to 20?

Presidential trial by combat

I'll take it if we can get rid of Hatch.

He's an overrated snob who has made Wake into Vandy-lite and overbuilt the campus at great expense, yet here we are...two spots ahead of...wait for it...the University of Florida at No. 30! Where most classes are online even when there's not a pandemic! That's BS. I went to UF for law school and my parents are UF alums so I have affection for the place, but it's not Wake. Not even close.

tag: more things change more they stay the same

Tag: 2 many char dummy

UMD tied with FSU lol

tag: more things change more they stay the same

Tag: 2 many char dummy

The cost of attendance has not stayed the same. It has skyrocketed. More than other schools. That's part of my point...such huge increases in tuition revenue should be managed to increase the school's prestige. How has UF gone from the 50's to Number 30 in 5 or 6 years? Far more post graduate programs and much higher alumni giving still don't explain that extreme rise. UF (I know, Apples and Oranges, but still...) and other schools have learned to game the rankings for position increases. I want Wake to stay focused on its core mission of teaching undergrads, but there has to be a way to game the numbers to get inside the top 25 and stay there.

$75,000 for a fuckin' year??? give me a break!

Yeah and that's the economy rate. Wake is $400K+ out of pocket for an undergraduate degree unless you qualify for financial aid (plenty of folks who can't afford that nonsense are above the financial aid threshold) or get a scholarship.

My kids will never be Wake students unless they spend a year there as a graduate student, etc. I can't spend (literally) $1 million plus on college tuition.

A lot of these schools are bolstered by their graduate and professional schools which Wake just can’t compete on based on its size.

The cost of attendance has not stayed the same. It has skyrocketed. More than other schools. That's part of my point...such huge increases in tuition revenue should be managed to increase the school's prestige. How has UF gone from the 50's to Number 30 in 5 or 6 years? Far more post graduate programs and much higher alumni giving still don't explain that extreme rise. UF (I know, Apples and Oranges, but still...) and other schools have learned to game the rankings for position increases. I want Wake to stay focused on its core mission of teaching undergrads, but there has to be a way to game the numbers to get inside the top 25 and stay there.

The joke was being around 27 every year despite cost increases among other things brings wake full circle to right where it started.

WF tuition more expensive than (partial list)

Princeton
Harvard
Yale
MIT
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Cal Tech
Vandy
Rice

Yeah and that's the economy rate. Wake is $400K+ out of pocket for an undergraduate degree unless you qualify for financial aid (plenty of folks who can't afford that nonsense are above the financial aid threshold) or get a scholarship.

My kids will never be Wake students unless they spend a year there as a graduate student, etc. I can't spend (literally) $1 million plus on college tuition.

This is just full retard. $400k for an undergrad degree? I could put that shit in the market when lil' Knight turns 18, then give him $1.2 million when he's 32.

If he's gone to trade school for a year at $10,000 and earned $50,000 every year since - he's got to be literally crushing any Wake grad 15 years out.

Can someone do the math on how much you have to earn to climb out of a $400K student loan hole to be comparable with a plumber or electrician? Like, how far out does the earning curve has to stretch before that makes sense? 30 years?

This is just full retard. $400k for an undergrad degree? I could put that shit in the market when lil' Knight turns 18, then give him $1.2 million when he's 32.

If he's gone to trade school for a year at $10,000 and earned $50,000 every year since - he's got to be literally crushing any Wake grad 15 years out.

Can someone do the math on how much you have to earn to climb out of a $400K student loan hole?

$400k

Strong, but wrong.

4.53%
Student Loan Interest Rates 2019: Your Guide to Understanding the Numbers. The 2019-2020 federal student loan interest rates are currently 4.53% for undergraduate loans, 6.08% for unsubsidized graduate loans and 7.08% for direct PLUS loans.Jun 14, 2020

https://www.google.com/search?q=cur...2j69i57j0l5.3391j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you graduate and then pay $2,704 a month for 20 years, you climb out after bleeding roughly $649k.

Back