• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Now Official Wake Forest v. NC State Game Thread

I personally think having a game under our belt compared to them makes a hugeeeee difference

Agreed. Also think CA makes a good point about States rushing attack, especially if Ricky Person is finally healthy. Still, I don’t think they’re good. And their passing game doesn’t scare me at all. We will get more stops, and win a one score game.

Definitely need to plan to pressure Leary a lot. State doesn’t have a scary team, we need to be ready to come out sharp and get up on them quickly. Look forward to seeing how the offense performs against a more average team.

I also think Wake under Claw generally makes a big leap from week 1 to 2. For example in 2016 after that hideous tulane opener, he went to Duke week 2 and took care of business. I will be pretty surprised if we drop this game, but turnovers are always the great equalizer.

State may make a jump this season much like Duke has demonstrated vs N.D. Doeren hasn't had many bad seasons at State. I look for returning players to have improved. I predict State will try to pound us with their RBs and OL returning. They won't pass much, especially if rainy, which will put Leary in better position to kill us with long throws.

Weren't we missing most of starting DL vs Clemson?

Last edited:
State may make a jump this season much like Duke has demonstrated vs N.D. Doran hasn't had many bad seasons at State. I look for returning players to have improved. I predict State will try to pound us with their RBs and OL returning. They won't pass much, especially if rainy, which will put Leary in better position to kill us with long throws.

Weren't we missing most of starting DL vs Clemson?

Last year's prediction:

Thank you

A few troubling thoughts/predictions, some which have been mentioned:

0-7 after bye week and the 7th was with a lot if focus and emphasis.

Doran will be better prepared than Clawson and Pack rested and somewhat healed.

We will be characteristically predictable, whereas State will run 3-5 surprise or trick plays, scoring on 2. They run 1 or 2 every game anyway, so I figure with 2 weeks, we'll see more and different. They won 2 games with these last year, IIRC.

So, my prediction is we'll need a 2 score distance most of the way, and a 2 td lead in the 4th to win.

NC State was a bad, bad football team last year. I don't see the Pack as much improved. Doeren is shakey coach at best. If Deacs can limit turnovers and overcome road woes, we should win this by two TDs. As capper Kelso Sturgeon stated, teams improve the most betw games 1 and 2. Linemakers have wrong team favored here.

Has Hartman been practicing? Was removing him from the Clemson game just precautionary?

I love hating on State, but I don't think Doeren is a bad coach. I think he's a giant asshole who's best move has been tricking State into thinking he was a legit candidate for the Tennessee job, but he's done fairly well there.

Has Hartman been practicing? Was removing him from the Clemson game just precautionary?

Hartman conducted a ZOOM interview after the game; Hartman was cleared to return, but the coaches decided to rotate Kern in the game. Hartman is fine.

I don't think the Wake O or D was all that bad last Saturday.

If the defense gets back some of the 7-8 players that missed last week, then I would expect them to be pretty solid. I can't remember them giving up a play over 30 yards to Clemson. I feel like there were 3-5 that were in the 20-25 range, but that is way better than the usual 5-7 in the 60-80 yard range. I drank quite a bit during the game, so I could be wrong.

The offense moved the ball quite a bit, but unfortunately didn't have much to show for it. I feel like this week they should be a little more crisp. Playing a team not named Clemson should help with that.

Wake 35 - State 20

I mean the secondary was absolutely terrible but it remains to be seen if that was an issue on our end due to injuries, scheme, inexperience, lack of talent, or Clemson being really good (or a combination of all of that).

I mean the secondary was absolutely terrible but it remains to be seen if that was an issue on our end due to injuries, scheme, inexperience, lack of talent, or Clemson being really good (or a combination of all of that).

I would guess a combo. Our best safety was playing corner and was replaced at safety by a true freshman walk on. Combine that with Saint Lawrence, The Patron Saint of Quarterbacks, playing on the other side, and you get exposed a bit.

Missing 6 DBs vs Heisman favorite could have been factors to consider.

We will beat State. We're just a better run operation at this point. We know we have to get some wins on this brutal schedule and this will be one of them.

Back