• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Now Official Wake Forest v. NC State Game Thread

Guess Clawson thought that the D would be good with Boogie coming back.... he was wrong because one player does not a good D make.

We let a Bailey Hockman led offense drop 45. That is something I just can't wrap my head around. That dude is terrible. Granted I was pretty hammered by Kickoff, but did we not try and stack the box and make hockman beat us with his arm? Did we not try to make adjustments? I'd rather we put our CB's on islands and force him to beat us that way rather than getting continually gashed on the ground. I figured that would be the strategy going into the game... Stack the box and make him beat us through the air. Very scary going forward. Maybe we figure some things out vs Campbell and parlay that into a way to beat UVA.

Guess Clawson thought that the D would be good with Boogie coming back.... he was wrong because one player does not a good D make.

At no point has the discussion of the defense being the strength ever been "it should be good because of one player."

In fact, even when talking just about the defensive line, Clawson, Cohen and Hemphill have maintained that while Boogie is really good, they've got really good other players in Tyler Williams, Rondell Bothroyd (when he returns), Miles Fox, Sulaiman Kamara, and have young players capable of making jumps like JaCorey Johns, Shamar McCollum, Isaiah Chaney and Royce Francis.

I think most careful observers of last year's team knew three things in regard to the defense coming into this season...

1) Our DL is pretty good.
2) Our LBs are pretty bad and we have a new coach.
3) Our secondary and overall scheme is a lingering question mark.

Not sure how you take those ingredients and think we're going to have a *good* defense especially after losing three impact players on that side of the ball.

Also, I think there's a big difference in saying that the defense will be the bright spot of the team vs. stating that the defense is good. Hopefully we can turn this thing around and salvage whatever remains for the rest of the season.

Not sure why folks are acting like Hockman lit us up - hot start then finished under 200 yards with 1 TD plus a pick 6. What they did was run all over us - seemed like every time they got through the line nobody at the 2nd level took the right route, anticipated any blocks, or made a play. Needed a Jon Abbate back there but nobody stepped up.

There were a couple times in the game I thought we'd fold but instead fought back - if the offensive line had any gas left in the tank on the last drive to give Hartman 2 seconds to throw the ball I think we could have won... But we were toast, the NC State defensive line wasn't, and that was it.

We let a Bailey Hockman led offense drop 45. That is something I just can't wrap my head around. That dude is terrible. Granted I was pretty hammered by Kickoff, but did we not try and stack the box and make hockman beat us with his arm? Did we not try to make adjustments? I'd rather we put our CB's on islands and force him to beat us that way rather than getting continually gashed on the ground. I figured that would be the strategy going into the game... Stack the box and make him beat us through the air. Very scary going forward. Maybe we figure some things out vs Campbell and parlay that into a way to beat UVA.

He started 12/12. Make him beat us with his arm? Yep early on. Clawson said after second series we did stack the box and left the Corners on an island. We made adjustments but didn't execute.

Back