• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's been a pleasure

Well, that just sucks and I have always enjoyed your writing about Wake Forest sports! You were always very fair with us.

Thank you for all your hard work covering the Deacons and I'm really sorry about this Connor. But as others have mentioned, you have built quite a reputation for yourself and people have noticed. I'm also bummed about the decline of newspapers in America- I know times change, but damn. Having less real information out there for the public to consume is not a good thing for our country and just opens up pockets for fringe information and outright lies to fill the void.

Seriously. Seems like a matter of time until wfusportsfreedomblog.net pops up with a bunch of conspiracy theories and ads for reverse mortgages.

Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it. Figured the toughest thing I'd be writing today was a Taylor Morin feature.

To quash the notion, at least for now, I have zero reason to believe this has anything to do with political stance or what I wrote in the latest MTOW film review. If it does, man, that'd certainly be some bullshit on top of bullshit.

But yes, Ed Hardin was laid off too, as were Patrick Ferlise (W-SJ prep sports) and Jeff Mills (do-everything sports reporter for Greensboro). I honestly can't fathom how the Journal/N&R are going to justify doing this, but that's really not my problem to worry about.

This sucks. I'm so sorry Conor. You have been fantastic for the journal, on twitter, and here.

Conor I’ve know since you were the man covering prep sports for the Times-News. You’re an excellent writer, reporter and young man. You’ll land on your feet and it’s their loss. If I can help please let me know. Wish you all the best!

Wow, what terrible news. You did a great job covering WF sports, Conor. Best wishes to you.

Journal management is moronic. My print version subscription ran out recently, and the paper simply stopped being delivered. No email, text, phone call re: renewing. It's like they are trying to fail.

Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it. Figured the toughest thing I'd be writing today was a Taylor Morin feature.

To quash the notion, at least for now, I have zero reason to believe this has anything to do with political stance or what I wrote in the latest MTOW film review. If it does, man, that'd certainly be some bullshit on top of bullshit.

But yes, Ed Hardin was laid off too, as were Patrick Ferlise (W-SJ prep sports) and Jeff Mills (do-everything sports reporter for Greensboro). I honestly can't fathom how the Journal/N&R are going to justify doing this, but that's really not my problem to worry about.

They also laid off my guy Spivey last year. I used to clerk over there during HS back in the days. Hrichak taught me the value of being told that your writing is trash and learning from your mistakes. Didn't end up going the journalism route, but I have nothing but respect for what y'all do, especially considering how limited your resources are now.

I wonder if a scaled down version of the Athletic model isn't the future for local sports journalism. I would pay $5/month for a local sports newsletter/online paper.

Conor have you thought about the patreon/substack route?

Damnit, you would have to think there were people more expendable at the paper. You were great and much appreciated. Hope you end up with better!

One trend I've seen over the years is for local beat writers to get picked up the University they previously covered. Harry Minium, a fantastic former Old Dominion beat writer, was laid off by the Virginian-Pilot in 2018 and was picked up pretty soon thereafter by ODU. I don't know if the current financial situation is conducive to anything like this a Wake but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility and the fans would appreciate it.

Conor, thanks for all of the great work over the years. I really appreciated the coverage, the interviews, the quotables, the articles, the tweets. If there is any way we can help let us know how. And don't change your Twitter handle without telling us!

I would pay $5/month for a local sports newsletter/online paper.

This might sound weird, but this morning I was thinking of your MTOH column/dog story (mine is 16 and nearing the end) and randomly thought about how your work brings value to my life. I sort of chuckled because it seemed weird to me to think that some random sports writer contributes to joy in my life. But, I appreciate having articles etc to look forward to reading to break up stress of my job etc. Normally would never reach out and tell someone that--but seems appropriate given this news. I would certainly be interested in a monthly contribution if you found some way of continuing. Thanks for your work over the years.

They also laid off my guy Spivey last year. I used to clerk over there during HS back in the days. Hrichak taught me the value of being told that your writing is trash and learning from your mistakes. Didn't end up going the journalism route, but I have nothing but respect for what y'all do, especially considering how limited your resources are now.

I wonder if a scaled down version of the Athletic model isn't the future for local sports journalism. I would pay $5/month for a local sports newsletter/online paper.

You could get the whole Winston-Salem Journal digital for $8.95 a month. Nobody's buying.

One trend I've seen over the years is for local beat writers to get picked up the University they previously covered. Harry Minium, a fantastic former Old Dominion beat writer, was laid off by the Virginian-Pilot in 2018 and was picked up pretty soon thereafter by ODU. I don't know if the current financial situation is conducive to anything like this a Wake but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility and the fans would appreciate it.

Conor, thanks for all of the great work over the years. I really appreciated the coverage, the interviews, the quotables, the articles, the tweets. If there is any way we can help let us know how. And don't change your Twitter handle without telling us!

This blows.

Yep, Currie needs to get Conor in the AD.

As an aside I’d love to still hear your Morin thoughts Conor. He struck me as an instant offense type guy off of just one game and I saw flashes of Camp in the limited game time we’ve seen from him.

As an aside I’d love to still hear your Morin thoughts Conor. He struck me as an instant offense type guy off of just one game and I saw flashes of Camp in the limited game time we’ve seen from him.

Honestly I blame Wellman. If that smug, arrogant, lying, cocksucker had not destroyed our BBall program this doesn't happen, and we all are happy with a fantastic beat writer.

I hate that mother fucker.

Well I've had a terrible day at work with computer issues that just now have been fixed and I happen to pull up the board and see this! This sucks, Conor you have done an outstanding job covering the Deacs and you will be sorely missed. I hope you remain a participate on the board when you can though. Best of luck in whatever you do.

Back