• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's been a pleasure

They also laid off my guy Spivey last year. I used to clerk over there during HS back in the days. Hrichak taught me the value of being told that your writing is trash and learning from your mistakes. Didn't end up going the journalism route, but I have nothing but respect for what y'all do, especially considering how limited your resources are now.

I wonder if a scaled down version of the Athletic model isn't the future for local sports journalism. I would pay $5/month for a local sports newsletter/online paper.

Seems like one method of gaining an audience with the hope of getting bought out The Athletic or another site.

This might sound weird, but this morning I was thinking of your MTOH column/dog story (mine is 16 and nearing the end) and randomly thought about how your work brings value to my life. I sort of chuckled because it seemed weird to me to think that some random sports writer contributes to joy in my life. But, I appreciate having articles etc to look forward to reading to break up stress of my job etc. Normally would never reach out and tell someone that--but seems appropriate given this news. I would certainly be interested in a monthly contribution if you found some way of continuing. Thanks for your work over the years.

Hey I’m full steam ahead if he gets one

I pay for Les and I rarely check the Premium boards. I want to support quality work.

Thanks so much, man! You've done a terrific job with coverage. Like others have mentioned, you should definitely stick around the boards as well.

To echo another point, substack would be an interesting route. I'd definitely subscribe to a newsletter with interviews, game analyses, reader questions, and other unfiltered WFU musings. One I read now is $70/year and he does one public and one subscribers-only newsletter a week.

Damn, that’s really unfortunate news on many levels. Echo what others have said, appreciate your commitment to providing us great coverage of Wake sports. Best of luck in your next opportunity!

Been around sine the Mary Garber days- always thought you gave Wake fair and insightful coverage- which has not always been the case. Enjoyed your work immensely. Can finally put the fish-wrap to bed with no reason to ever read it again. Good luck and good fortune professionally and personally.

You did a great job Conor! I criticized you over your very brief Bzzz love and you admitted the error of your ways very quickly. The sign of a real man. lol

You are excellent at your craft. You’re young, there are many directions you can go. If you had started sports writing in the 1970s, you’d be a star in the industry today as it is nearing its end. You will excel in the next phase of your career. You have all the tools. You will probably look back on this day in five years and see it was a blessing in disguise.

I’ve always liked Conor and the way he has approached his craft. The Journal, not so much. Hopefully this will be a blessing in disguise.

Very sorry to hear it. I enjoyed and admired your high-quality prose, which seems in short supply these days in the print media. Best of luck and like others I hope you stay connected to the Wake fanbase. Also like others, this probably spells the end of my many-years-long interest in the Journal. Too bad for them.

This is stupid and there's no reason to pay any attention to the WSJ ever again. We need/needed especially in the trash Buzz and Manning years, a dude like Conor on the beat.

Maybe they'll start running some Mack Brown shit or something...'chat with Mack' or some bull shit.

Conor, that is bad news indeed. I've enjoyed your writings about and will miss them. Hope you find something that allows you to continue sports journalism locally.

Thanks for all you've done covering Wake. Its been good work and entertaining and informative reading.

As others have said, hope you stick around on the boards.

I would definitely pay for the patreon base, and maybe drop you some capital in order to get started building the subscription base.

I don't know what to say that hasn't already bee said, but this is just awful. Great job Conor, you will be missed; hoping you find something even better.

I live out of state and have maintained an online subscription for years mainly because of Deac coverage. The Athletic Department needs to weigh in with Journal owners. We need hometown coverage for our programs. My local paper print edition delivered to your home is $1200/yr. I am dropping it, too.

I always enjoyed your work Conor. I appreciate a writer that tells things how they are instead of being a homer that sugarcoats everything. As someone who never played football, I loved the game film reviews because I don't often pick up on why a play works or doesn't work outside of a completely blown coverage.

Best wishes!

tag: he's no lennox

(seriously - he's 1,000,000x better)

Back