• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's been a pleasure

All the best Conor. This may be the first occasion that everyone responding to an OGB thread agrees on the subject. Great work. Keep in touch. You're part of this family.

Man this sucks I’m sorry. Thanks Conor I loved to read everything you wrote on Wake. The best coverage I have seen in my 30 years as a Deacon fan.

If you've missed it on the N.C. State game thread or on Twitter, the pandemic and brilliant minds at the Journal and Lee Enterprises have made me expendable and I've been laid off.

Nine years in the industry so this was bound to happen eventually, and I always told myself not to worry about it because there was nothing I could do ... but fucking hell, I kinda figured once football season started I had a little security.

It's been a pleasure covering Wake Forest. When I took this beat three years ago I knew I was stepping into some big shoes and I hope to have at least partially filled them. I've made some mistakes, like defending Bz's basketball acumen, but really felt like I could be in this spot for a long time.

Alas.

I have no idea what's next. I'd love to stay in the area. All I've ever known is sports writing -- it's literally what I've known I wanted to do since 8th grade.

Hey, maybe it's finally time for The Athletic to have a Triad presence.

Beyond fucking pissed about this. Conor is a damn fine writer, and we were lucky to have him. Same for Patrick, Jeff Mills and Ed Hardin. North Carolina is a grimmer place without their writing.

as others have said, "thanks ronnie."

Also, F yourself asshole.

All the best Conor. This may be the first occasion that everyone responding to an OGB thread agrees on the subject. Great work. Keep in touch. You're part of this family.

Truth. All the best Conor - for our sake, I hope whatever comes next still involves Wake sports!

Conor, so sorry, dude! I just signed up for the journal online subscription because of you posting on this site. I am canceling it now. I know newspapers are struggling, but getting rid of talented and passionate writers who cover your own damn hometown is pathetic.

Thank you for all that you do/did for Wake and us on the boards. Good things will come your way!

Very sorry to hear this, Conor. All the best for the future. I've subscribed to the W-SJ for many, many years. And being an old guy living in Winston, I appreciated having the paper copy to read during breakfast. Was recently notified that my subscription rate was going from $42/month (ouch!) to $58/month (are you kidding me!!). That's about $700/year for the paper Journal. I've always supported local businesses and the local paper but this was a tipping point for me. The paper is a shell of what it used to be. I feel for the journalists and my delivery guy who may lose their jobs due to my cancellation.

Conor, I echo those saying that you have done a great job. I found your articles and style refreshing. You spared us the cheesiness of the typical safe, and boring, local sports articles. Your style is genuine and strong. You have earned many fans here.
I wish you the best.

This is a huge loss for the Wake community, Conor. I'm so grateful that we've had you on the beat for three years - it's been a privilege to follow you and enjoy the expert content you provided us. I'm sorry, but wherever you end up, you'll have a bunch of folks in old gold and black supporting you. Wishing you the very, very best.

Hey Conor, if they fired you, can they still run your articles from last week?

Looks like a bunch of AP stories, and the "WFU" link has John Dell covering soccer (and some old Conor stories).

Looks, well, it looks crappy and out of date now, but what happens in 1 week, 2 weeks - even crappier? --- SMH.

Everyone should toss in $5 for Conor to do some off the record OGB articles and interviews, given Wake will give him access. Just basically give us your venmo account and you can make some money off of us OGB suckers to tide us over until everything gets sorted out.

I subscribe to Les and it's worth it. Would be happy to show support to both of you.

My oldest son is a furloughed sports/feature writer. Newspaper sports writers may be the most underpaid, least appreciated profession out there. Most do it because they love to write and love the relationships they form with coaches and players. Don't know what Conor was making, but Wake should hire him to be our own beat writer. The value of his coverage would far exceed what it would take to employ him.

My oldest son is a furloughed sports/feature writer. Newspaper sports writers may be the most underpaid, least appreciated profession out there. Most do it because they love to write and love the relationships they form with coaches and players. Don't know what Conor was making, but Wake should hire him to be our own beat writer. The value of his coverage would far exceed what it would take to employ him.

Ding ding ding. Send to Currie...Conor is the best PR and marketing we can get for sports.

Back