• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's been a pleasure

Today’s sports page: a half-dozen AP articles and only one local entry (App football).

Conor, I'm sorry to learn of this development. Mary Garber would not be happy. Good luck in your future endeavors. Does the WSJ sell a lot of papers in Boone? Happy Appy sure gets a lot of coverage for a minor league team.

If Currie has his finger on the pulse of Wake sports at all he looks into bringing Conor into the fold. Just match his Journal salary and you'll be getting a freaking steal for the marketing return he would bring. If Wake can't afford to match his Journal salary (no offense to Conor or other underpaid journalists) then they must be hurting pretty bad.

Let me add my voice of appreciation for the job you've done Conor. You've been exactly what a local beat reporter should be: covering the team, letting the community know them better beyond just their stats and games, covered sports and culture-related issues that affect them student athletes at the university, and threaded the needle of giving great coverage while not being a fan-boy - letting the audience know that you're on Wake's side, but won't just throw out the party line.

I have really enjoyed your coverage and willingness to interact with the fan base both here and on twitter.

Let me add my voice of appreciation for the job you've done Conor. You've been exactly what a local beat reporter should be: covering the team, letting the community know them better beyond just their stats and games, covered sports and culture-related issues that affect them student athletes at the university, and threaded the needle of giving great coverage while not being a fan-boy - letting the audience know that you're on Wake's side, but won't just throw out the party line.

I have really enjoyed your coverage and willingness to interact with the fan base both here and on twitter.

This post distills what I really appreciated about Conor's work, especially the last part.

If this post were a 3-0 pitch, you would be Fernando Tatis Jr.

So there was an App article and no Wake article - on a Thursday during college football season with an in-state matchup in two days?

At this point, they could write an article about my Grandmama being a good cook and I probably wouldn't give them a click.

Conor is too good a writer to be an AD lap dog in house pumping out propaganda. His balance is what made him effective. It’s a sad state of affairs Wake will now only get covered by their own PR people pumping out whatever they want the public to see. This is the new reality though.

Conor, having spent time myself inside the lines and stadiums, I appreciated your balanced perspective and insight to what all goes into the effort and sacrifices made by college athletes. Great job for us and may your next step be in your chosen direction.

Today we’ve got reporting on UNC-CH’s cancelled game, and an App State-Marshall preview.

Again, nothing on Wake. Really missing you, Conor.

I mean, hell, you figure there are at least more State than App fans in Winston

I haven't been avoiding yall -- things got away from me Wednesday with calls and texts and DMs and such. And then yesterday morning, the kind folks at Lee Enterprises turned off internet access for the laptop they're getting literally tomorrow. So the past day has been spent not only figuring out what's next, but also buying a laptop and getting it set up.

So, anyway, I'm thrilled to be joining the N&O/Observer. I've long admired the talent they've had on their staffs and will hope to turn this from interim to permanent.

Since it's my understanding that my work will be online-only, I've got to plug a link for subscriptions. It's the business -- if you can sign up, I appreciate it. If not, I completely understand.

At last, I know I've missed some messages on here and I'll be able to go through them at some point before tomorrow night's game. I really can't tell yall how appreciative I am of the support. I'm especially appreciative the messages about my fair coverage. That's all I've ever wanted to do. Clawson called Wednesday and said as much, that he's always thought my coverage was fair -- to which I said that was the highest compliment he could pay me.

Back