• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's been a pleasure

I haven't been avoiding yall -- things got away from me Wednesday with calls and texts and DMs and such. And then yesterday morning, the kind folks at Lee Enterprises turned off internet access for the laptop they're getting literally tomorrow. So the past day has been spent not only figuring out what's next, but also buying a laptop and getting it set up.

So, anyway, I'm thrilled to be joining the N&O/Observer. I've long admired the talent they've had on their staffs and will hope to turn this from interim to permanent.

Since it's my understanding that my work will be online-only, I've got to plug a link for subscriptions. It's the business -- if you can sign up, I appreciate it. If not, I completely understand.

At last, I know I've missed some messages on here and I'll be able to go through them at some point before tomorrow night's game. I really can't tell yall how appreciative I am of the support. I'm especially appreciative the messages about my fair coverage. That's all I've ever wanted to do. Clawson called Wednesday and said as much, that he's always thought my coverage was fair -- to which I said that was the highest compliment he could pay me.

Clawson continues to show that he is a class act all the way!

Congrats on a quick move to another publication position. I will look forward to your postings and wish you the best. Perhaps your move may help the N&O, but realize they only a half-step ahead of the WSJ. Also, the WSJ digital page is far superior in format to the N&O. Maybe you can clue some of their folks in to improve that and do them a favor. Hope thing go well for you and I do appreciate the N&O finally giving a glance at their Deac readers in the person of you.

Excellent to hear. I hope we'll make it worth their while to make it a full time role.

I haven't been avoiding yall -- things got away from me Wednesday with calls and texts and DMs and such. And then yesterday morning, the kind folks at Lee Enterprises turned off internet access for the laptop they're getting literally tomorrow. So the past day has been spent not only figuring out what's next, but also buying a laptop and getting it set up.

So, anyway, I'm thrilled to be joining the N&O/Observer. I've long admired the talent they've had on their staffs and will hope to turn this from interim to permanent.

Since it's my understanding that my work will be online-only, I've got to plug a link for subscriptions. It's the business -- if you can sign up, I appreciate it. If not, I completely understand.

At last, I know I've missed some messages on here and I'll be able to go through them at some point before tomorrow night's game. I really can't tell yall how appreciative I am of the support. I'm especially appreciative the messages about my fair coverage. That's all I've ever wanted to do. Clawson called Wednesday and said as much, that he's always thought my coverage was fair -- to which I said that was the highest compliment he could pay me.

Just signed up for 6 months digital. Get me thru hoops Conor!

Great news for you Conor. Look forward to enjoying more of your writing.

Conor, your coverage of Wake Forest Football was fair, thorough, insightful and exceptionally descriptive of personal and organizational features of the team, coaches and program. You clearly work hard in your career, have tremendous passion for sports and deeply appreciate the craft of writing. Your critiques of the program were very measured and well considered. All in all you’ve been exceptional as the WF Football beat reporter while not being one of those painful fanboys with a keyboard. This is a huge loss as you will not be replaced in any sense of the word. Our community’s loss is the N&O’s gain. While I’m very disappointed, as a subscriber to the N&O I look forward to following you online there.
And yes this irritates as well. But we all may be reading local news in the years ahead exclusively from sources centered in the states’ largest cities.

Congrats Conor. I think it's great that you can keep doing sports reporting in NC, something that you are clearly quite good at and have a passion for. Now, about that article on Wake football that you promised to send to me ...

Well, this sucks.

I mean, congratulations on quickly landing a position with the N&O. Hope that goes well for you. Really have enjoyed and appreciated your excellent coverage of Wake sports and contributions here.

But damn.

The W-SJ indeed appears to be in a death spiral. As does local journalism generally. And we’re all worse off, IMO.

2020 can go back to wherever it came from.

Congrats Conor! Great that you are with the N&O, yet i doubt Wake will be featured (but hey, maybe you can change that!). I moved east 30 some years ago. At that time Wake and East Carolina were featured very often. No more, although ECU will get a write-up once in a while, but usually not from the N&O staff. Actually my local New Bern paper has Wake articles occasionally. It is so sad to see the WSJ continue its downward spiral... heck, I even remember the WS Sentinel!

Conor you are wonderful. Will you have my babies ?

1011d444a7c3380dac710e5e4e256183.jpg

Conor, do you have a new Twitter account?

Same account, but changed the handle to @ConorONeillNOO ... Had to get WSJ out of there and it was FA for "free agent" for about two days, and then the "NOO" stands for Raleigh News & Observer and Charlotte Observer, combined.

The last couple of comments have cracked me up a few times, not sure how to respond to them. Was torn between a joke about wanting to charge a fee to have somebody's babies and learning of a new awful-looking Arnold movie from the '80s and '90s like once every three months.

This is the only one I've written thus far -- I figured it would be online only but saw somebody say it appeared in the Charlotte Observer print edition today.

The state knobs thought you had mis-headlined it starting with "The State loss showed Wake....." not realizing you were the new Wake correspondent writing from Wake's perspective. I tried to comment but forgot my new login to the N&O site. Go get 'em.

The state knobs thought you had mis-headlined it starting with "The State loss showed Wake....." not realizing you were the new Wake correspondent writing from Wake's perspective. I tried to comment but forgot my new login to the N&O site. Go get 'em.

haha, that's not the headline I wrote ... but headlines from writers are only suggestions, I've learned that much.

Conor, your coverage of Wake Forest Football was fair, thorough, insightful and exceptionally descriptive of personal and organizational features of the team, coaches and program. You clearly work hard in your career, have tremendous passion for sports and deeply appreciate the craft of writing. Your critiques of the program were very measured and well considered. All in all you’ve been exceptional as the WF Football beat reporter while not being one of those painful fanboys with a keyboard. This is a huge loss as you will not be replaced in any sense of the word. Our community’s loss is the N&O’s gain. While I’m very disappointed, as a subscriber to the N&O I look forward to following you online there.
And yes this irritates as well. But we all may be reading local news in the years ahead exclusively from sources centered in the states’ largest cities.

Click if still having babies: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article245944635.html

Back