• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's been a pleasure

Still a bit of a conundrum, figuring out how to get these 2 guys on the field at the same time. I guess, Roberson could be back next year, as well?

Everybody could be back next year. This year does not count as a year of eligibility used. Everybody will have the same eligibility status in August 2021 that they had in August 2020. It will be on the coaches and players to decide who plays another college season and who goes to the next stage in life.

Still a bit of a conundrum, figuring out how to get these 2 guys on the field at the same time. I guess, Roberson could be back next year, as well?

Deaconblue is right, Roberson will have two more years of eligibility (if it's mutual that he wants both and the staff wants him for both years).

As far as getting two slots on the field at the same time ... I talked to Higgins off the record about that and he cleared some things up for me on that. I'm not going to campaign as hard for them to play two together. The reason he explained makes sense, though I still think there are times and situations when they could afford to get both out there.

What I wanted to work into the story but ran out of space for is how they finally, after 3 years of saying it was the goal, can give two slots an equal 50% split of reps (or 45-45-10 if they want to work Ke'Shawn Williams in). That has failed in the last 3 years because:

2017 - Greg emerged as a star and Tabari pouted, and then Greg's freak injury opened door back up for Tabari
2018 - Greg was a star and they couldn't afford many drives without him on the field, plus Jaquarii wasn't ready as backup and Kendall couldn't stay healthy
2019 - Kendall was so good and Jaquarii couldn't get to point where coaches were comfortable enough with drop-off

I loved this quote from Jaquarii when I asked if he had been frustrated for the last 2-3 years by his lack of opportunity. Hate that I couldn't use it in the story:

It’s been difficult the past two or three years. Everybody wants to play. I feel like when the opportunity comes, you have to be ready.
I wouldn’t say I should’ve played more, I could’ve done more to play more. You know, so I’m just – now I’m just looking ahead.
I’m not really trying to look at the past.

Connor- Maybe it has been addressed in articles I haven't seen but it would be nice to get a players response to how basketball practices are run differently and change in coaching styles. Would think new staff would do a whole lot different given their previous success and previous results of the manning era.

Last edited:
Deaconblue is right, Roberson will have two more years of eligibility (if it's mutual that he wants both and the staff wants him for both years).

As far as getting two slots on the field at the same time ... I talked to Higgins off the record about that and he cleared some things up for me on that. I'm not going to campaign as hard for them to play two together. The reason he explained makes sense, though I still think there are times and situations when they could afford to get both out there.

What I wanted to work into the story but ran out of space for is how they finally, after 3 years of saying it was the goal, can give two slots an equal 50% split of reps (or 45-45-10 if they want to work Ke'Shawn Williams in). That has failed in the last 3 years because:

2017 - Greg emerged as a star and Tabari pouted, and then Greg's freak injury opened door back up for Tabari
2018 - Greg was a star and they couldn't afford many drives without him on the field, plus Jaquarii wasn't ready as backup and Kendall couldn't stay healthy
2019 - Kendall was so good and Jaquarii couldn't get to point where coaches were comfortable enough with drop-off

I loved this quote from Jaquarii when I asked if he had been frustrated for the last 2-3 years by his lack of opportunity. Hate that I couldn't use it in the story:

It’s been difficult the past two or three years. Everybody wants to play. I feel like when the opportunity comes, you have to be ready.
I wouldn’t say I should’ve played more, I could’ve done more to play more. You know, so I’m just – now I’m just looking ahead.

I like that quote too. Refreshing in this me first or I'll transfer era. Hope the kid blows up these next couple of years.

Connor- Maybe it has been addressed in articles I haven't seen but it would be nice to get a players response to how basketball practices are run differently and change in coaching styles. Would think new staff would do a whole lot different given their previous success and previous results of the manning era.

Agreed, that would be a nice change-of-pace article; I haven't even discussed what N&O wants from me for basketball coverage, though. Just going one week at a time right now.

As far as getting two slots on the field at the same time ...

Folks from the fields, forests and waters of Northeastern North Carolina treat loyalty equally as valuable as opportunity!

I read your n&o article on Wake today. Finally a solid report from the n&o. Looking forward for more

Conor's replacement John Dell referred to Sam as Howell in our game article today. They are both white QBs named Sam but it's not that hard.

John Dell is not really his replacement, he is a prior staff member who is now being asked to do more with less resources.

John Dell is not the problem, the problem is corporate ownership of newspapers

John Dell is not really his replacement, he is a prior staff member who is now being asked to do more with less resources.

of course I meant replacement covering Wake, not like they would make new hire. I agree editing is another of their many problems but there was one game last night so shouldn't be hard to know which teams and players you are writing about. John is a good writer but i don't think he is writing much these days about his former beat WSSU.

Last edited:
Are you covering Duke for the News and Observer?

Indeed, N&O had me cover Duke today. I'm going to pick up whatever assignments they give me, pretty much. I tried not to tweet as many observations -- one because I know who most of my audience is and two because I barely have familiarity with Duke's roster/system -- but figured it was also relevant since Wake plays both of them this season.

That's an unfortunate mistake by Dell, but BBM's point about corporate ownership is absolutely correct. Editors can be your best friends -- but copy editors have been getting slashed from newspapers long before reporters.

This is correct. John Dell does good work, but it’s not ideal to have one guy cover Wake, WSSU, golf, etc.

Indeed, N&O had me cover Duke today. I'm going to pick up whatever assignments they give me, pretty much. I tried not to tweet as many observations -- one because I know who most of my audience is and two because I barely have familiarity with Duke's roster/system -- but figured it was also relevant since Wake plays both of them this season.

That's an unfortunate mistake by Dell, but BBM's point about corporate ownership is absolutely correct. Editors can be your best friends -- but copy editors have been getting slashed from newspapers long before reporters.

Oh man, almost a dream scenario. You've got Wake in the Raleigh paper - love that. And then you can ask Cutcliffe what it's like to lose to Wake again (hopefully), even though Peyton Manning works out with Duke in the summer (which should automatically lead to ACC titles, duh). That dude needs to retire.

And if you cover Wake hoops - it should be awesome. And if you cover Duke hoops (wow, just wow).

Back