• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's been a pleasure

tenor.gif

How sad is it that cable news is doing better than ever and news sources like WSJ that are 1000X better are struggling. We need to do better supporting local news

Cable news is mostly entertainment tv with some news sprinkled in. Even if newspapers attempted the same thing, most people tend to prefer an audio/visual experience for entertainment. Just look at how much money is spent and made on tv and movies as opposed to books.

The issue is that people don’t value quality news terribly highly if near news alternatives are widely available for free.

Fascinating to me how folks come home at night and depending on their preference, watch either 3-4 hours of MSNBC or Fox, but my wife's parents and her brother do indeed do it.

Cable news is mostly entertainment tv with some news sprinkled in. Even if newspapers attempted the same thing, most people tend to prefer an audio/visual experience for entertainment. Just look at how much money is spent and made on tv and movies as opposed to books.

The issue is that people don’t value quality news terribly highly if near news alternatives are widely available for free.

I also think we've moved to a "now" society, at least when it comes to news. If you see a crime scene while driving home, you can probably find out what happened within a minute or two of pulling out your phone. You're not waiting until you wake up the next day and read the paper.

So, another update ...

I've started a Substack account, which is a newsletter/blog, covering Wake Forest football and basketball (and other team occasionally). Basically doing the same things there that I would have been doing with the Journal, albeit without nightly deadlines to hit.

I'm still working with the N&O and Observer, but only for game-day coverage. The Substack account will contain film reviews, game previews, features, notebooks, etc. I'll have free pieces and subscriber-only content.

I realize this is a difficult time to be asking for money. I'm not going to be pushy about it. Just want to get it out there that this is where my coverage throughout the week will be:

Wake Up

So, another update ...

I've started a Substack account, which is a newsletter/blog, covering Wake Forest football and basketball (and other team occasionally). Basically doing the same things there that I would have been doing with the Journal, albeit without nightly deadlines to hit.

I'm still working with the N&O and Observer, but only for game-day coverage. The Substack account will contain film reviews, game previews, features, notebooks, etc. I'll have free pieces and subscriber-only content.

I realize this is a difficult time to be asking for money. I'm not going to be pushy about it. Just want to get it out there that this is where my coverage throughout the week will be:

Wake Up

I've signed up. And I would encourage the rest of you guys and gals too as well. It's super affordable.

So, another update ...

Wake Up

what's the point of the founding member tier?

what's the point of the founding member tier?

I'm going to be honest, I don't know why Substack has that. I think the annual membership is the best deal -- there's no discernable advantage to having the founding member status.

Conor, Nice N&O story on Deacs in print today and glad WF FOOTBALL is no longer “WEST Forest Football” to no fault of yours but some computerized copy editor, or Spell Check device.

Conor, just read your Tweet about the Proud Boys, etc. This is a free county and you are welcome to your opinion, but in my opinion, you should stick to writing about the Deacs. Personally, I will no longer follow you, read your articles, or fund your new start-up. I would say this no matter what my personal political beliefs may be. I do feel that you should not use your forums to state your personal biases. Bye.

Conor, just read your Tweet about the Proud Boys, etc. This is a free county and you are welcome to your opinion, but in my opinion, you should stick to writing about the Deacs. Personally, I will no longer follow you, read your articles, or fund your new start-up. I would say this no matter what my personal political beliefs may be. I do feel that you should not use your forums to state your personal biases. Bye.

Hey dude, you can fuck right off.

There is a start up to fund? I’ll take your spot and kick in.

Back