• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catch22 and Invisible Man were my two favorites. All the Edith Wharton books were a drudge

freshman year we read Ender's Game and Orson Scott Card came to speak at our school

before I knew how big of a piece of shit we was

Holden Caulifield is the intelligent grade school classmate of yours who acted above it all and never really applied himself, yet still got into an elite private school because of his parents and his test scores. He then got into serious drugs in college and either OD's in his 20's or ended up as the youngest VP at his dad's firm/company.

This is not the kind of character we should celebrate.

Wrong. Holden Caulfield just got kicked out of his fancy prep school. Things are not going well for teenage Holden.

I don't think it is that simple. Have heard from a number of co-workers up in NYC that the city is a ghost town during the week, but everyone is out and about on the weekends acting like nothing has changed.

This week, TX had the biggest improvement in positive new cases and NY was the worst (increase in 7 day average vs. 7 day average 14 days ago).

Bottom Line: There is a lot of COVID-fatigue out there.

And if you look at Europe, it isn't just the US... Cases are way above prior peak over there and France and the UK have started to reimpose additional restrictions.

The NY stuff seems like the locals are staying in and people are coming into the city on the weekends.

Definitely agree with COVID-fatigue though.

Junior year of high school I got in some serious shit. First quarter english class I got like a C on my journal (which was like where you did all your daily homework). It was only graded once a quarter. Teacher said "needs more quotes" So then in the 2nd quarter, I quoted the shit outta that thing. The Great Gatsby was "a" (63) great guy. Got an A. Same thing next quarter, got an A. Of course I told everyone in the class. At the end of the year, we were all in math class and talking about whether we were going into AP english next year or not. Someone asked me "Do you think your journal strategy is going to last next year" and someone else asked what my journal entry strategy was. So I explained it just like I explained it now.

Then the bitch math teacher told the english teacher. So next day the english teacher was monitoring the bathroom sign in sheet and said "stugotz.... I want you to know that you aren't pulling the wool over my eyes, I know what you've been doing" to which I replied something like "well it seems like I did" at which point then she tried to get me kicked out of honor society. I was dating the head of the honor society's daughter so she gave me the heads up to be on the lookout, but lo and behold the math teacher came up with some bullshit to get me suspended for like a week a few weeks later. Was literally the last week of the year so I had to take my finals after everyone else with a sub.

The Sub gave me one of the tests but accidently gave me the answer sheet with it. But then I guess I skipped a number so about 2/3rds of the way down I got them all wrong. That one hurt.

Last edited:
The NY stuff seems like the locals are staying in and people are coming into the city on the weekends.

Definitely agree with COVID-fatigue though.

That’s fair. And I realize it’s anecdotal.

Sorry for bringing COVID-19 discussion into the CT.

Heart of Darkness is okay until you realize it's still positioning Africa as the antithesis of civilization - whoops.

Both Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby are foundational Suburban Lifestyle Dream texts

I feel like I was too young/immature/dumb to enjoy most of the assigned reading. The times I've gone back and re-read it often totally changed my perception of the book. Might be better off reading more fun, easy stuff, especially in middle and early high school, to get kids into it.

just watched Burr's monologue and the criticism of white women and the homonationalism arg are both pretty spot on tbh

Heart of Darkness is okay until you realize it's still positioning Africa as the antithesis of civilization - whoops.

Both Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby are foundational Suburban Lifestyle Dream texts

a story about a guy who makes money illegally and then dies after spending untold fortunes trying to impress a vapid, boring girl is the suburban lifestyle dream?

a story about a guy who makes money illegally and then dies after spending untold fortunes trying to impress a vapid, boring girl is the suburban lifestyle dream?

Yeah. Pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back