• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, wife got the health department letter and call today. I did not. Does that mean it’s ok for me to go on about my normal business. To be safe, I should probably leave the kids with her to quarantine, right?

Naaw. Its a hoax. Tell your wife is bang o'clock!

On a lighter note, the wife thought she’d slip a little flax seed in the turkey lasagna she made for dinner. The 5yo is currently ripping explosive shits that are echoing through the house, and laughing like a goddamn maniac.

Looks like Leveon is gonna go to the Chiefs or Bills. As a CEH/Singletary fantasy owner, I'm not very happy.

Doing some work in the Azores today. Little dot in the ocean between US and Europe. Don't know what I expected, very Portuguese feeling, and very green hills. Gonna go offroading this weekend, maybe do a whale watch, who knows.

Doing some work in the Azores today. Little dot in the ocean between US and Europe. Don't know what I expected, very Portuguese feeling, and very green hills. Gonna go offroading this weekend, maybe do a whale watch, who knows.

Dude moving to Dallas is going to be a real kick in the nuts. That sounds amazeballs.

We almost went to the Azores last year rather than Sicily, but it didn't seem like there was a whole lot to do there beyond ecotourism stuff (which I enjoy, but not for my full vacation). So I'm curious what you think. I do love me some Azorean wine.

I need your job.

We almost went to the Azores last year rather than Sicily, but it didn't seem like there was a whole lot to do there beyond ecotourism stuff (which I enjoy, but not for my full vacation). So I'm curious what you think. I do love me some Azorean wine.

I think you made the right choice. Pretty much everyone is telling me to go hike up here or go check out the hot springs there, it seems like you kinda go around and see everything, which is perfect for right now with Covid, just gonna go driving/hiking all weekend and not worry about places being crowded. Haven't done the Azorian beef yet, but did a glass of the wine.

Ya moving back to the states is gonna be an adjustment, can't figure out why flying in the US is so much more expensive than in Europe. Going from Lisbon to Paris for 80 Euros for a weekend compared to going from DC to Charleston for 250 dollars. I'm sure there is a reason, but flight prices are going to be such a mood killer when I go back.

I doubt my work trips to Barcelona and Madrid happen over the next month (as well as all other personal travel) so just gonna enjoy being out while I can.

I think you made the right choice. Pretty much everyone is telling me to go hike up here or go check out the hot springs there, it seems like you kinda go around and see everything, which is perfect for right now with Covid, just gonna go driving/hiking all weekend and not worry about places being crowded. Haven't done the Azorian beef yet, but did a glass of the wine.

Ya moving back to the states is gonna be an adjustment, can't figure out why flying in the US is so much more expensive than in Europe. Going from Lisbon to Paris for 80 Euros for a weekend compared to going from DC to Charleston for 250 dollars. I'm sure there is a reason, but flight prices are going to be such a mood killer when I go back.

I doubt my work trips to Barcelona and Madrid happen over the next month (as well as all other personal travel) so just gonna enjoy being out while I can.

Wow, it is surprisingly reasonable to travel and stay for a week in the Azores. We may be going to the Azores relatively soon.

Wow, it is surprisingly reasonable to travel and stay for a week in the Azores. We may be going to the Azores relatively soon.

People really dig Madeira as well, slightly warmer with a more tropical flare, and amazing hikes apparently.

when I was studying abroad in Chile we were up in Atacama and met some guys from Brazil who were doing a motorcycle tour of the continent

we were able to speak in Spanish and they in Portuguese and we communicated pretty okay

no idea if the fact they spoke Brazilian Portuguese mattered

TC, what's the quick rundown on living in/visiting Portugal? Pros and cons?

Pros: Great weather, super cheap cost of living, and easy flights to most of Western Europe. Great bottles of wine are about 5 Euro. The Douro valley is spectacular and rivals Tuscany or Napa for wine production. The Algarve has great beaches and because of all the Brits, everything down there is in English. Starting to get a larger community of ex-pats working remotely.

Cons: Almost impossible to get stuff done in a timely manner, schedules really don't exist. Tough to find a job on the local market, because they really aren't US business focused, businesses tend to focus on EU and former Portuguese colonies. Also local salaries are really low. Alot of blight, something like 40% of the buildings in the country are abandoned. While air travel is great, you are not centrally located enough for train travel to be a thing. Food isn't very varied, so can get old.

If you are here for two weeks or you work a remote job, you will probably love it, but living here you realize its not like most of Western Europe, almost feels a couple steps behind.

My wife, who is a few days behind me with COVID, is experiencing some serious confusion, alongside fatigue. This stuff is really scary y’all. Don’t take it lightly and try to avoid eating at restaurants for the time being. We went out to eat many times over the last 6 months.

But do you thnk you got it at a restaurant or at work ?

Or are you just saying you went to a bunch of restaurants right before you found out you had it ?

My wife, who is a few days behind me with COVID, is experiencing some serious confusion, alongside fatigue. This stuff is really scary y’all. Don’t take it lightly and try to avoid eating at restaurants for the time being. We went out to eat many times over the last 6 months.

Sorry, I'm getting mixed messages between this and our President telling me not to let Covid dominate my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back