• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
But do you thnk you got it at a restaurant or at work ?

Or are you just saying you went to a bunch of restaurants right before you found out you had it ?

Tough to tell. We went out to eat a couple times the last week of September, which would align with when I caught it...But I also stay in hotel rooms every week, which would make sense as well.

Sorry, I'm getting mixed messages between this and our President telling me not to let Covid dominate my life.

Yeah, I just hope that enough people don't buy his ridiculous rhetoric. I know this is callous, but hopefully the right people have been negatively impacted by this virus.

Granted, the Trump cult runs thick. I could see a Trumper losing both of his parents to this virus, listen and watch Trump mock the virus and then go punch the ballot for him in November.

Amazing that so many people only start listening to doctors and scientists after they are directly affected. Do you think you were somehow special and immune to COVID? Why weren’t you telling people to be careful 6 months ago?

Amazing that so many people only start listening to doctors and scientists after they are directly affected. Do you think you were somehow special and immune to COVID? Why weren’t you telling people to be careful 6 months ago?

yeah, creamy, why weren't you beating the drum 6 months ago?

how many people have DIED because of your lack of warning?

I’m in the office for the first time in at least three months and right off the bat some asshole got onto the elevator maskless with me this morning.

you can't spell DistrictDeacon without the D

I’m in the office for the first time in at least three months and right off the bat some asshole got onto the elevator maskless with me this morning.

That absolutely wouldn't fly in my building. We aren't even allowed to wear non-KN95 or non-surgical masks while in the building.

You guys serious or trolling?

I haven’t doubted this virus once...Fucks sake y’all.

You guys serious or trolling?

I haven’t doubted this virus once...Fucks sake y’all.

If you had realized/known it was going to be this scary, would you have curbed your behavior? Sounds like some of it was required for your job, so maybe not possible there. I'm not judging, as it sounds like we've definitely had our fair share of exposure (flew late last week). Just curious.

Not saying it is happening here, but it feels like getting COVID-19 has become a sort of scarlett letter... That seems hugely unfair given we're talking about a highly contagious virus. Short of a complete lockdown, people are going to get it. To me, it's just like anything else... risk/reward... you take the obvious precautions, but after that it's all about what you're willing to subject yourself (and your family) to.

I'm sure some of it is just something people tell themselves to feel safer... "If XXX got it, then they must have been irresponsible. I'll be just fine."

If you had realized/known it was going to be this scary, would you have curbed your behavior? Sounds like some of it was required for your job, so maybe not possible there. I'm not judging, as it sounds like we've definitely had our fair share of exposure (flew late last week). Just curious.

I wouldn’t have done anything differently. The majority of it was job related and I’ve worn a mask and sanitized everywhere I’ve gone. I knew this the very beginning that there was a great chance of me contracting it. I even told my friends and family as much.

As far as going out to dinner, that was on my wife. I’d stay at home and eat every meal if allowed, but she was going a bit stir crazy.

So, for the insensitive comments, a hearty fuck you to you guys.

Not directed towards you, Tiger.

My post was directed towards a couple above yours.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Juice was just making an ironic jab at DD's lack of empathy and concern for a fellow community member. DD was apparently just being DD?

Heal up soon, buddy. My wife feels like absolute shit right now, but the kids and I are cool up to this point.

yesterday i woke up sucking on lemon

Kid A turned 20 and my dog turned 3 this month

two icons

Not saying it is happening here, but it feels like getting COVID-19 has become a sort of scarlett letter... That seems hugely unfair given we're talking about a highly contagious virus. Short of a complete lockdown, people are going to get it. To me, it's just like anything else... risk/reward... you take the obvious precautions, but after that it's all about what you're willing to subject yourself (and your family) to.

I'm sure some of it is just something people tell themselves to feel safer... "If XXX got it, then they must have been irresponsible. I'll be just fine."

I sent the following out in May:

Friends,

I hope this message finds you well. I want to share some thoughts that I had about our office’s COVID-19 response. First, thank you all for being so proactive in protecting us from the potential physical manifestation of COVID-19. The phased plan not only provides biologically sound practices, but also certainty in a time where that is a valuable commodity.

I wanted to draw attention to another aspect of the COVID-19 response: the stigma attached to the disease and infection and broader mental health implications. The stigma is well earned by a deadly and fear inspiring virus. However, I worry that our concrete plans and preparation could lessen our attention to two important items: (1) a given individual’s amount of control in transmission, and (2) the general mental health of our attorneys and staff.

If there's not a vaccine for covid-19 by the end of the year, statistically it's highly likely that someone in our office will have contracted the disease. It might be when X comes back from Y, it might be when A goes in for a routine doctor's visit, maybe when B goes for a run downtown, or it might be when C picks up a sandwich at Arby's drive thru. We can all take the steps that have been laid out before us, but none are a cure-all.

Our office has done a lot to curtail any potential spread of infection. However, the fact that many of the infected are asymptomatic makes necessary interactions so difficult to assess and avoid infected people; and even the most well-intentioned individuals can't help being coughed on by a jogger who runs past. However, I would humbly suggest that we try to do more to pre-emptively destigmatize anyone who contracts the disease, or needs our (physically-distanced) help if they get it. Maybe by reiterating in our next all-hands-on-deck call that we’re a tight-knit family that’s here for those in need.

I've spoken over-the-phone with two people who have had it, both young, healthy individuals. It laid both of them out for about seven days. In short, I don't want to be part of someone feeling like a pariah while they are trying to get better. Which brings me to my second point:

We're doing a wonderful job by proactively protecting our staff from COVID-19. I worry about the active issue of our officemates’ mental health both individually and collectively. The whole country is on edge from “corona fatigue;” there’s a sharpness in the air. I’ve seen it in myself, which I’m not proud of; and I’ve seen it in others. I’ve found myself constantly reminding myself to be more understanding and patient – which is so difficult. As attorneys, we might even be in worse shape than many others – we not only bear our own increased responsibilities, but we must deal with near-constant impotence to help our clients while maintaining a vested interest in the lives and fortunes of all of our clients as well.

I received word today that one of my good law school friends discovered the body of their managing (and hiring) partner, a suicide note, and the employed instrumentality. He’s survived by a wonderful family and a lovely grandchild. My friend is devastated. The things that he has confided in me have inspired me to send this email asking for you all to strongly consider opportunities to care for your own and our collective mental health as much as we have the physical risks associated with COVID-19.

I know that D is a big proponent of LAP, and E has offered EAP – both are great resources. I would like to offer that during our all-hands-on-deck meetings that we take time to acknowledge and positively recognize the efforts of each of our office mates. For many of them, a confirming pat on the back and acknowledgement of any amount of progress is a good thing. I know that if there is anything to be done to avoid someone harming themselves during this incredibly stressful time, then we should act.

The stigma is a motherfucker and it's wholly preventable.

that's nice knight

i feel like my company sent about a dozen emails about mental health and such but never really explicitly just came out and said anything about stigma of the infection or about the fucking colossal psychic weight around not seeing your friends and family or leaving the house for months on end coupled with anxiety around getting a deadly disease and economic peril...just like generally "hey keep on top of your mental health, it's as important as your physical health!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back