• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has Died

Do you honestly think if the positions were reversed democrats would try to fill the seat

Chris come on man. How is this the time for that? Stop that shit. Time to come together as a party for the election in 46 days.
I fully support the Democratic nominee whether he or she is my first choice or not.

Live look at Mitch McConnell.

Precedent has been set: no confirming a SCOTUS justice in an election year or during a lame duck. The McConnell Rule.

I think Junebug said it was the Biden or Schumer rule or something something Bork Federalist Society Bork Bork.

Bullshit. If you had a democratic senate and president you'd vote to fill the seat.

Do you honestly think if the positions were reversed democrats would try to fill the seat

The Democratic Party better have learned by now that abiding by any norm or tradition is an untenable position. So if you can do it then you have no choice but to do it. That means abolishing the filibuster, adding states to the union, expanding the court and packing it should be done as soon as you're in a position to do it.

Already flopping like the shitty conservative you are, first it was they won’t vote because they don’t have the votes of McSally etc... and it’s the principled thing to do. Now that it’s been shown that’s complete bullshit we have pivoted to Democrats would do the same.

Already flopping like the shitty conservative you are, first it was they won’t vote because they don’t have the votes of McSally etc... and it’s the principled thing to do. Now that it’s been shown that’s complete bullshit we have pivoted to Democrats would do the same.

Yup. Pos rep. That goal post moved real quick.

And the pivot didn't even take the usual several days, but was done in the course of a single evening. Impressive!

Point stands.

Again, hypocritcal naked politics. The same practiced on both sides. I'd vote no on closure and on the nominee (unless Trump won). Most of you if it was flipped, D Senate and D President can't say the same thing.

As already said, she was an intellectual giant and a trailblazer who will be missed.

I'd agree with centerdeac if Obama nominated a heavily left leaning candidate in 2016. He didn't. In fact, he nominated a moderate 63 year old as a compromise. Instead of allowing a vote, McConnell just gave Obama the middle finger and he and the rest of his R colleagues bragged about it publicly.

Center's insinuation that Democrats and Republicans are mutual actors who practiced similar "naked politics" in this situation is complete horseshit.

Did Democrats have the Senate? No, unlike R's who do. If Democrats had the Senate, Merrick Garland would have cruised through. He also wouldn't have been the nominee.

2016, R - Senate. D- President.

2020 R- Senate, R- President.

How is this so hard to understand? If Obama had a D led Senate his nominee would have been far more left and jammed through.

Everything the republicans do is because they know they have shitty positions. Rammed through the last pick because they feared that they would lose the election, just happened to actually win. This time ram through a pick because they fear that they will lose an election. I mean hell this time voting has already fucking started it’s not during an election year it’s during the actual election. If you held that you were popular, your positions were popular, and it’s what the people wanted you would welcome the reaffirming an open, fair election with as many people possible voting, and throw in ranked choice and popular vote as determinates for a cherry on top.

Back