• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has Died

RIP

Junebug just came.

Yeah no shot. McConnell will justify it that the WH and Senate are both controlled by the same party so it’s legitimate.

If Trump loses and challenges all the results in court things will look a hell of a lot easier.

Can’t imagine a better argument for doubling the size of the Supreme Court and packing it than if 1/3 of the justices on the court were appointed by Donald Trump.

I mean that’s probably what you threaten Mitch with, if we take the senate and presidency we will stack the courts if you ram through a justice, if you don’t we leave it as is 5-4.

Other than threatening to increase the size of the court (which should be very much on the table if McConnell decides to ram through a nominee), what else can Democrats do? Can they filibuster indefinitely?

Damn. 2020 just moved up another notch on the worst-case scenario list. No doubt McConnell and the GOP will move heaven and earth to get another hard-right justice onto the Court by January. This is literally their dream scenario, and is exactly why many Evangelicals keep saying they voted for Trump (although I have no doubt there's other reasons they won't mention.) As for what the Democrats can do to stop it, I doubt there is anything, other than threatening to expand the Court and other things mentioned above (I seriously doubt whether they have a chance of actually making that happen, as it may require a two-thirds majority of the Senate.) The only possible bright spot in this (and it's not much) is that maybe it will remind Democrats and progressives of what Trump has already done to the Courts, and what will continue to happen and only get worse if he gets a second term and the GOP keeps the Senate. As for Ginsburg, she more than deserves all the adulation and memorials she'll receive in the coming days, weeks, and years. An amazing life. RIP.

Back