• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

I believe that sans constitutional amendment you wouldn’t be able to have a process where the president gets to pick after X days due to the advice and consent portion of the Appointments Clause.

Vacancies have to be filled within 120 days or what? The consequences have to be clear or the Senate could just obstruct.

What if the Senate doesn't confirm? Does the President get to choose whoever they want? Would that encourage the President to name some looney tunes picks that have no chance to run out the clock so they can choose an extremist?

I've been thinking about this for awhile and haven't come up with a good way to force the President and Senate to do this in a timely fashion.

Turns out it’s insanely difficult to make laws around small groups of bad actors. It’s why they shouldn’t be put in positions of power. If you have the most powerful person in the world just pushing every limit for shits and giggles, it gets magnified and goes from a hypothetical slippery slope or isolated incident to a worst case scenario instantaneously.

Last edited:
Can I see your notes from this side by side comparison of Harrison's platform and the party platform?

“I’d rather just lazily assume what the candidate believes because of a job he had in the past. Quit bothering me”

meh

no chance I'd vote for someone who had been a leader of the Republican party at any level

I disagree with pop's values, but not his logic

meh

no chance I'd vote for someone who had been a leader of the Republican party at any level

But you’re also not claiming to be the most socially conservative liberal in your state.

I said I wouldn’t support a senatorial candidate who totally supports the federal democratic platform which as the Chairman of the Democratic National Committee Harrison does. I do not say I wouldn’t vote for a Democrat under any circumstance. There have been Dems I have voted for locally who I have supported.

What parts of the platform Harrison supports, or whatever specificity you’re trying to skate on, are so abhorrent that you’d rather accept Lindsey Graham? Or Trump instead of Biden?

I say accept because even though said you’re not voting for them directly you would be ok with what happens if they win. Otherwise you’d be voting against them.

Full transparency pops, I’m sure I could find plenty in a democratic platform that I disagree with. I’ll never find a candidate I agree with 100%. No one will. Ultimately though I’m in favor of someone I think will try to do the best job they can for the country. Lindsey Graham is a dishonest remora. Donald Trump is a dangerous grifting phony. Both of these candidates have values so opposite to my core values that any sort of platform disagreement is not even in the conversation.

There was a time, at least I thought so, that two candidates could be good people and you could disagree on platforms but ultimately believe the winning president would lead the country as best they could. Think of McCain shouting down his supporters who were jeering Obama. That’s a good person. Donald Trump would never do that. He is a piece of shit and everyone knows it, even his supporters. Enough. Character matters.

Odd too, how the generation (not you specifically, just in general) that instilled these values in mine is the one most willing to trade them away for someone so obviously and clearly antithetical.

meh

I think this logic could have existed somewhat fairly at a different time. Maybe 2008 pre-Palin. Or when the GOP had their post mortem where they realized they’d have to broaden their policy appeal (which they went the opposite but anyway).

Nowadays...I mean the GOP didn’t even bother with a platform this election cycle. They are just all-in Trump as a governance strategy. Where are the values/principles or even attempts at leadership? They’re gone.

It will be hard in the future to take someone seriously that was part of this leadership vacuum. When the going gets tough or unpopular, they were willing to disregard their core beliefs to chase a shiny prize. It’s hard to forgive that.

What parts of the platform Harrison supports, or whatever specificity you’re trying to skate on, are so abhorrent that you’d rather accept Lindsey Graham? Or Trump instead of Biden?

I say accept because even though said you’re not voting for them directly you would be ok with what happens if they win. Otherwise you’d be voting against them.

Full transparency pops, I’m sure I could find plenty in a democratic platform that I disagree with. I’ll never find a candidate I agree with 100%. No one will. Ultimately though I’m in favor of someone I think will try to do the best job they can for the country. Lindsey Graham is a dishonest remora. Donald Trump is a dangerous grifting phony. Both of these candidates have values so opposite to my core values that any sort of platform disagreement is not even in the conversation.

There was a time, at least I thought so, that two candidates could be good people and you could disagree on platforms but ultimately believe the winning president would lead the country as best they could. Think of McCain shouting down his supporters who were jeering Obama. That’s a good person. Donald Trump would never do that. He is a piece of shit and everyone knows it, even his supporters. Enough. Character matters.

Odd too, how the generation (not you specifically, just in general) that instilled these values in mine is the one most willing to trade them away for someone so obviously and clearly antithetical.

I was seriously out of the Political Forum for a few weeks. Just too much piling on and in my mind failure to respect other's position. Just my opinion.
But since you (finally?) gave me some "transparency", let me respond in kind.

You call Graham a "dishonest remora". Donald Trump a "dangerous grifting phony". Touche. But what I would like you to understand is I believe they are ALL alike.
Graham, Trump, Harrison, Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell. These are all worthless POS who neither deserve our support or endorsement.
My level of disdain for phony politicians who care only for their pockets, their re election and their power holds no limit.
It is why I did not vote in 2016 and won't in 2020. Fuck em. I want no part of the trash who hold elective Office in Washington. They can (and likely will) rot in hell. Call me a cynical old man if you'd like.
I care about this Country and the future my kids and grandkids are making. And I will always express my opinion (and preferences) on issues when discussed.
But until I see something or better yet someone I can truly believe in, I'm done.

Its pretty poor logic to say I care about this country especially the future of my kids and grandkids then abstain from doing anything about it. For example, climate change is real, climate change is going to get worse and needs to be dealt with as soon as possible, there are one group of politicians that don't even think it exists, and then another that at least acknowledge its existence if not have plans to combat it. So for any grandparent that says I want what is best for my grandkids they can start there as just one example.

Its pretty poor logic to say I care about this country especially the future of my kids and grandkids then abstain from doing anything about it. For example, climate change is real, climate change is going to get worse and needs to be dealt with as soon as possible, there are one group of politicians that don't even think it exists, and then another that at least acknowledge its existence if not have plans to combat it. So for any grandparent that says I want what is best for my grandkids they can start there as just one example.

Maybe; but do you really think we operate in a System that attracts are best and brightest? When I was a kid our parents would say, one day you can be President.
Who today would wish that for their kids?
Want to?? Create term limits for all elective Offices. Give me limitations in campaign spending. Give me some truly qualified Candidates who will come to Washington for one "term" and put the people who elect them first. It happens often (not always) on the local levels.
You want to endorse what operates in Washington now, be my guest. The more, we the people endorse it, the worse it becomes.

I care about this Country and the future my kids and grandkids are making.

Yeah, I don't think you do if you are voting for the party that denies climate change and resists any and all efforts to help remedy it. You are basically telling your grandkids to go fuck themselves. Just my opinion.

For positions that currently have lifetime appointments (i.e., SCOTUS seats) some type of reform and limit on how often seats turn over is definitely needed. Term limits on congressional and senate seats is such a cop out position, especially if you don't vote. These seats are up for relection every two or six years, so the mechanism for change is there. If you really want to fix the problem, reform campaign finance laws and end partisan gerrymandering with independent redistricting commissions. If you're not even going to vote then I don't know how you can sit there with a straight face and complain about career politicians.

Maybe it is or maybe it is not a noble stance to abstain for those reasons but ultimately that debate doesn’t matter at all. A choice will be made on you behalf that everyone will have to live with.

If 80% of the country choose to abstain the way you do in this election, will that show that Americans overwhelmingly support and have successfully implemented sweeping changes to term limits, career politicians and Washington crookedness? No, it means that 20% just elected our entire government.

Yeah. It’s weird to say you don’t trust politicians but you have strong opinions about politics then you reverse voting for people you think do trust some politicians. Seems like you’d want to outweigh them.

For positions that currently have lifetime appointments (i.e., SCOTUS seats) some type of reform and limit on how often seats turn over is definitely needed. Term limits on congressional and senate seats is such a cop out position, especially if you don't vote. These seats are up for relection every two or six years, so the mechanism for change is there. If you really want to fix the problem, reform campaign finance laws and end partisan gerrymandering with independent redistricting commissions. If you're not even going to vote then I don't know how you can sit there with a straight face and complain about career politicians.

Seems about right.

I’ve never seen a good argument as to why congressional term limits would really be better. But reforms in those other areas make sense to me.

I was seriously out of the Political Forum for a few weeks. Just too much piling on and in my mind failure to respect other's position. Just my opinion.
But since you (finally?) gave me some "transparency", let me respond in kind.

You call Graham a "dishonest remora". Donald Trump a "dangerous grifting phony". Touche. But what I would like you to understand is I believe they are ALL alike.
Graham, Trump, Harrison, Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell. These are all worthless POS who neither deserve our support or endorsement.
My level of disdain for phony politicians who care only for their pockets, their re election and their power holds no limit.
It is why I did not vote in 2016 and won't in 2020. Fuck em. I want no part of the trash who hold elective Office in Washington. They can (and likely will) rot in hell. Call me a cynical old man if you'd like.
I care about this Country and the future my kids and grandkids are making. And I will always express my opinion (and preferences) on issues when discussed.
But until I see something or better yet someone I can truly believe in, I'm done.

So. . . "bos sides!"

Trump is the same as Schumer. Alright.

No, wrong. That reasoning supports the same bull shit System we are currently under. Simply saying you can vote out the crap is flawed logic.
Incumbents have money, have party support and only wish to get re elected. Their influence and power is based only on their not losing their seat. Not on "rocking the boat".
Term limits (EVERYONE, gets 4 years) brings in new blood and new fresh ideas and intelligent, civic minded people who want to serve the people, not build power and control.

And I voted for 40 years. I did my time and unfortunately, little has changed.

Yeah, I don't think you do if you are voting for the party that denies climate change and resists any and all efforts to help remedy it. You are basically telling your grandkids to go fuck themselves. Just my opinion.

No, I'm telling my children, who btw are tired of hearing it, to change the System.
It's broke, fix it.

If not by voting, how do we implement those changes?

No, wrong. That reasoning supports the same bull shit System we are currently under. Simply saying you can vote out the crap is flawed logic.
Incumbents have money, have party support and only wish to get re elected. Their influence and power is based only on their not losing their seat. Not on "rocking the boat".
Term limits (EVERYONE, gets 4 years) brings in new blood and new fresh ideas and intelligent, civic minded people who want to serve the people, not build power and control.

And I voted for 40 years. I did my time and unfortunately, little has changed.

You think corporate lobbyists control government now? Switch to a system where legislators turn over every 4 years with no institutional knowledge.

Back