• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Also, JFK had to give an entire speech on the fact that he wouldn’t be taking orders from the Pope if elected President because of attacks by the GOP.

It's already started. When George Stephanopoulos this morning mentioned a new ABC poll that showed a large majority of voters preferred to wait until after the election to fill the Supreme Court seat, the GOP operative on his roundtable prattled on about how this nomination fight will help Republican Senate candidates because of all the anti-Catholic bigotry already being expressed by LibDems. When George pointed out that neither Biden nor any Democratic Senator had said anything like that, she said well yes, but it's out there. I'm sure they'll gin up that any criticism of Barrett's ideas or previous decisions is an attack on "Americans of Faith." It's what they do.

Yes, that is very clearly the fight they want to have. Because this one is much harder:

Also, JFK had to give an entire speech on the fact that he wouldn’t be taking orders from the Pope if elected President because of attacks by the GOP.

True. I recently read a book on the 1960 presidential campaign that said that JFK aide and speechwriter Ted Sorensen worked out an agreement with many Protestant church leaders to issue a public statement simply stating that religious prejudice should not play a part in the campaign, without mentioning or endorsing either candidate. Billy Graham originally agreed to be one of the clergymen who signed the document, then backed off, told reporters that the religious issue would be a major issue in the campaign "whether we like it or not", and eventually appeared at campaign rallies with Nixon and made some negative remarks about the Catholic Church.

"Spirit of Senate Bipartisanship." Lolz. Oh, yeah, there's certainly been lots of that since 2008. Can't say it's a surprise though, and I have no doubt there's some other Dem Senators that won't support any serious court reforms either. Which is why the Democrats are going to need more than just a bare 50 to 52 seats to get any real Court reform done.

Republicans Argue Referring To Amy Coney Barrett As ‘Trump’s Court Pick’ Carries Deeply Anti-Catholic Undertones

Accusing their Democratic opponents of using coded language to stir up prejudice among the electorate, Republicans argued Monday that references to Amy Coney Barrett as “Trump’s court pick” carried deeply anti-Catholic undertones. “To attack Judge Barrett’s faith by calling her ‘President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court’ is to engage in a long and shameful tradition of thinly veiled insults aimed at Catholics,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, adding that 19th-century Irish and Italian immigrants to the United States could hardly have been met with an epithet as hateful as “Donald Trump’s choice to fill the vacancy left by the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.” “For Americans who adhere to the teachings of Catholicism, painful memories are conjured up each time someone says a person is ‘almost certain to be confirmed to the highest court in the land by a slim majority of Republicans.’ We have freedom of religion in this country, and to hear Democrats resort to such anti-Catholic dog whistles is frankly disgusting.” At press time, McConnell asserted that his critics on the left wouldn’t have disparaged Barrett’s faith if she were a “filthy Muslim.”

I thought that was The Onion, but I had to be sure and confirm.

I love reading The Onion, but I feel sorry for their writing staff nowadays. I have no idea how you can dream up parodies and crazy stories that don't sound like actual news articles in the mainstream press. It used to be that if you saw an Onion headline you could instantly figure out that it was from The Onion. Now, you see Onion headlines and just shrug like "so Trump has said this now" or "some Republican said or did that." Bizzarro world.

Murkowski owes her seat to McConnell and Collins desperately needs the NRSCC. Don't see it happening. Very interesting argument, however.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington-post-fact-checks-harris-history-lincoln

According to Lincoln historian Michael Burlingame, Lincoln told his aides he wanted to delay his Supreme Court confirmation process because he was “waiting to receive expressions of public opinion from the country," though the Post noted, "that didn’t mean he was waiting for ballots so much as the mail."

"The overarching effect of the delay is that it held Lincoln’s broad but shaky coalition of conservative and radical Republicans together," the Post explained. "Congress was in recess until early December, so there would have been no point in naming a man before the election anyway. Lincoln shrewdly used that to his advantage. If he had lost the election, there is no evidence he wouldn’t have filled the spot in the lame-duck session."

The Post concluded, "So Harris is mistaken about Lincoln’s motivations in this regard."

National Review senior writer Dan McLaughin went even further, accusing Harris of "dishonesty" with her Lincoln anecdote.

"Lincoln, of course, said no such thing," McLaughlin refuted the Democrat Wednesday night. "He sent no nominee to the Senate in October 1864 because the Senate was out of session until December."

He added, "Kamala Harris is simply inventing history."

Kamala lies.

your gop everybody! The party of consistency and sincerity.

Looking forward to ACB's judgement being questioned with photos of her and her family unmasked in the White House during the confirmation hearings - but sadly the Dem Senators are too big of cowards to truly take her on

I have a sneaking suspicion more GOP senators have tested positive they're just no longer reporting because they want to go through with the hearings. Harrison keeps pressing Graham ahead of their debate if he has tested negative and Graham keeps wavering.

Looking forward to ACB's judgement being questioned with photos of her and her family unmasked in the White House during the confirmation hearings - but sadly the Dem Senators are too big of cowards to truly take her on

DC Health authorities have advised any one that attended that event to quarantine until they can be tested and have pushed, unsuccessfully for contact tracing. Seems like Congress should require that she provide negative test results before the hearings can proceed.

Back