• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Getting a solid hard-right majority on the Court has been a GOP wet dream for decades. There's no way they'll pass that up before January. Either they'll vote before the election and damn the consequences - to them (and especially the Religious Right) losing control of the Senate for a session would be worth it for a long-term SC majority - or they'll just wait until after the election and ram through somebody in the lame duck session. This is what they've been dreaming about since Trump took office in January 2017.

Trump will nominate Barrett and hope that swings white suburban moms. They’re going to go all in on this and hope it fuels base turnout. They’ve never been scared to piss off the middle.

Trump will nominate Barrett and hope that swings white suburban moms. They’re going to go all in on this and hope it fuels base turnout. They’ve never been scared to piss off the middle.

I doubt she'll move the needle with suburban women, especially college-educated ones. She's definitely a hard cultural conservative, and I doubt her record will appeal strongly to anyone but the Religious Right.

I've kicked the football It always seems to go a little wide right.

I think Trump deliberately nominates the rapiest rapist he can find. He thinks that won the pubs the Senate two years ago, anyone calling him on it will get the "whatabout Tara reade" treatment, and it would really pwn the line.

I doubt she'll move the needle with suburban women, especially college-educated ones. She's definitely a hard cultural conservative, and I doubt her record will appeal strongly to anyone but the Religious Right.

Oh I agree but you know how Republicans think.

Liberal and centrist college educated women will hate her with a special kind of hate.

It’s amazing to me that in 2020 people can still talk themselves into believing the GOP will do the right thing.

Honestly, if the posititions were reversed you don't think democrats would try to fill the seat?

Honestly, if the posititions were reversed you don't think democrats would try to fill the seat?

This is the worst argument because it ignores Republican hypocrisy on this issue. The only reason Democrats aren't for holding a vote now is because Republicans blocked it in 2016.

Positions reversed was not a split of presidency and senate. It is presidency and senate

The only reason Democrats aren't for holding a vote now is because Republicans blocked it in 2016.

So if democrats held the presidency and the senate they would push a vote?

So if democrats held the presidency and the senate they would push a vote?

Yes. That’s what they think should be done. Republicans changed the norms so that’s why they don’t want to push a vote now.

You’re trying to make an argument that ignores the circumstances.

Stop the evil R bullshit. Call them hypocrites, but is they are being the same naked politicians as their opponents.

We should switch to Supreme Court survivor. Each president gets to vote one justice off the court per term and replace them. The more extreme justices don’t stick around.

Pีิubs play to win. Take notes, and play the same game. But they've won. They've got the courts for 30 years, and 30 years from now the demographics will switch back to their side. Cause all the poors in the cities can't afford kids. All the white dudes who got straight D's in rural high schools can still get a house and an acre for $150k,, and raise 4 kids.

Or just move to Scandanavia, which is what I'm prolly gonna do

Back