• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

We need a system in which one life or death or one retirement doesn’t change the entire balance of government.

In the first year after presidential election or midterm, the president must nominate and the senate must confirm one justice to an 18 year term. Each president will get two per term. Each senator will weigh in on three per term. This is the only way justices are named to the Court. If a justice dies or retires, nothing happens. All current justices would start an 18 year term when this is passed.

I'd honestly prefer to see a system where retirement is mandatory at 75. Most appointees to the Supreme Court are in their 50s/early 60s. There's no real way knowing which party is going to be holding the presidency/Senate 12-25 years from when they're appointed.

The only thing there is you know when they'd retire and it can become an election issue to run on (with candidates saying they would name XYZ to the court), but that would also come into play under this scenario.

I'd honestly prefer to see a system where retirement is mandatory at 75. Most appointees to the Supreme Court are in their 50s/early 60s. There's no real way knowing which party is going to be holding the presidency/Senate 12-25 years from when they're appointed.

The only thing there is you know when they'd retire and it can become an election issue to run on (with candidates saying they would name XYZ to the court), but that would also come into play under this scenario.

I'd like to see both term limits and a mandatory retirement age, and I would include members of Congress as well as the Supreme Court. We're basically being governed by a gerontocracy as it is. Just because modern medicine helps people to live well into their 80s or even 90s doesn't mean that those people still have the mental abilities for the job, or that they still have the energy and verve for the position.

#LadyG speaks:

Last edited:
#LadyG speaks:

Shocking! I read that Tillis also "changed his mind" and now sees a vote before January as a necessity. It's nice to see Republicans sticking by their stated principles.

Who were the last few justices nominated by a Dem President and confirmed by a Republican led Senate?

They are sticking to their stated principles. Lying, grift, whatever they can do to remain in power. We just ignored it because it "hadn't gotten that bad yet." So many evil people have all merged together in the same place (congress/white house) at the same time that its become obvious how widespread. Its finally affecting enough people out in the open that our normal citizen that couod easily ignore it can't without some serious mental gymnastics. the snowball just might be too big to stop. at this point the question may be when can we start trying to pick up the pieces?

also, its disgusting how gleefully these senate sob's are talking about the filling the RGB opening.

Just shameless, completely shameless. Anything to win, principles and ethics be damned. The sad part is that in SC this coming Court fight might actually help him win reelection in what appears to be a tightening race.

It does play into Harrison’s message that Graham has no principles, doesn’t look out for SC, and just does whatever Trump wants.

Obviously the hardcore base wants them to ram through a judge, but somebody please reassure me that this naked hypocrisy and shamelessness might hurt them with independents and centrists?

Obviously the hardcore base wants them to ram through a judge, but somebody please reassure me that this naked hypocrisy and shamelessness might hurt them with independents and centrists?

Who are independents and centrists?

Whatever happens in the next few weeks is going to be a shit show. Gotta hope it really brings out the dem voters. 4 more years of an unhinged and completely unchecked president and senate will be a disaster for the country.

They think stalling Garland and the Kavanaugh debacle were political winners.

They’re counting on Dems going hard at Barrett will win them suburban women voters to put them over the top.

Due to the EC they are not wrong. Might not work but you know they are partying all weekend.

also, its disgusting how gleefully these senate sob's are talking about the filling the RGB opening.

To be fair, I was pretty excited when Scalia died and Obama was President...at first any way.

Interesting article here: https://nypost.com/2020/09/19/most-americans-want-senate-to-move-on-supreme-court-decision-poll/

In short, a poll was conducted Sept. 8-15 asking the very question of if a Supreme Court seat were to open before the election, should it be filled immediately. 68% of Republicans, 63% of Democrats and 71% of Independents said yes, it should be filled, for an overall survey result of 67%.

IOW, a significant majority of Americans believe holding to process matters no matter who the fuck has been elected into office. I do tend to think we get our undies in a big ball over these nominees way too much.

FWIW, I'm not sure the GOP will ultimately have the votes they need anyway.

Back