• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

So presumably most people think the Garland nomination should have been considered rather than totally stonewalled.

So presumably most people think the Garland nomination should have been considered rather than totally stonewalled.

Right. But republicans weren’t punished for it.

So Republican hadn’t confirmed a Democratic Party nominee in 129 years before 2016. The Democratic President made a compromise choice and they refused to give him a vote. And now center wants us to believe both parties would do the same even though Democratic Senators have regularly confirmed Republicans nominees.

You guys are just misunderstanding centerdeac's name. He's right of center of the current gop (aka trumpublicans). He might... might... vote for a dem for the local school board if she is friends with his wife.

You guys are just misunderstanding centerdeac's name. He's right of center of the current gop (aka trumpublicans). He might... might... vote for a dem for the local school board if she is friends with his wife.

He genuinely thinks voting straight ballot GOP but acknowledging that Trump is an unserious and dangerous clown makes him a centrist.

He genuinely thinks voting straight ballot GOP but acknowledging that Trump is an unserious and dangerous clown makes him a centrist.

As I posted elsewhere, if Biden manages to win it's going to be interesting watching all of these supposed Trump-hating Republicans suddenly return to the party fold as if the last four years never happened. In terms of policies very few Never Trumpers actually disagree with what Trump has done, and nearly all of them that I've seen love his Supreme Court and judicial appointments. Their only real complaint is that he's too vulgar and crass and incompetent for their liking. Their main complaint is with his personality and behavior, and not his policies. Once he's gone they'll go right back to supporting what he wanted, with a nicer face and language ("compassionate conservatism")

How many republicans in congress actually are about things like Roe v Wade or gun rights? Are pubs better off picking 4 senators to not putting a justice on the bench? Just like repealing and replacing the ACA, they had no plan, they just were good at running against it. If the SC actually goes 6-3, then they'll basically have nothing left to keep the religious folks in line, who otherwise probably aren't conservative at all.

I want to believe Collins is just setting the price for her vote. But I think she knows she'll lose if she goes with Mitch, but she's not willing to sacrifice her spot for the party. All bets are off if she loses, Dems get the Senate, and Biden wins. That lame duck session will be fire.

I want to believe Collins is just setting the price for her vote. But I think she knows she'll lose if she goes with Mitch, but she's not willing to sacrifice her spot for the party. All bets are off if she loses, Dems get the Senate, and Biden wins. That lame duck session will be fire.

That's exactly the way I'm reading Collins' statement as well.

I need to become a lot more informed about politics, especially now, but how come so much attention is focused on Collins? It seems I'm reading about her all the time and the only other senator I can think of that's constantly being mentioned is Lindsey Graham. Is Collins the only person who might not follow party lines or what?

There be 4 pubs to block it and give cover to those in tight races, and then they will jam it home during the lame duck.

Collins is a whore who pretends to carry the mantle of independence in the Senate, while at the same time being a lock step boot licker for Trump. She is constantly concerned or troubled by Trump, but never does anything when it actually matters.

Collins is a whore who pretends to carry the mantle of independence in the Senate, while at the same time being a lock step boot licker for Trump. She is constantly concerned or troubled by Trump, but never does anything when it actually matters.

Well said.

It’s only takes 3 if they hold off until lame duck and McSally loses.

Republicans have some advantages that allow them to pull off the bullshit moves.

1. The Electoral College and Senate favor Republicans
2. Exploitation of anti abortion, evangelical, and white supremacist voters. Single issue voters that will never leave the GOP.
3. Flawless media propaganda has cultivated the belief that the left is anti American whose goal is to destroy American way of life.

These things allow Republicans to act with impunity when they destroy norms, ignore rules, and fail at basic governance leading to the deaths of over 200,000 Americans in a pandemic.

The backlash against Democrats for attempting to use such tactics or even wearing a tan suit is fierce because voters of all types have been conditioned by the abusive GOP.

Back