• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

I would happily trade this Supreme Court seat for Dems to take control of the senate and White House.

Yeah but how do the Never Trumpers who run PL actually feel about getting another conservative on the court

The latest polls from SC show Graham tied with Harrison. Every bit helps.

I need to become a lot more informed about politics, especially now, but how come so much attention is focused on Collins? It seems I'm reading about her all the time and the only other senator I can think of that's constantly being mentioned is Lindsey Graham. Is Collins the only person who might not follow party lines or what?

Collins feigns independence but always falls in line for the big votes. She invites attention / scorn by trying to bolster her independent image with public statements that she doesn't actually follow through on. And by voting against removing Trump from office, then giving an interview stating that she didn't think it was necessary because Trump "learned a pretty big lesson."

She's also vocally pro choice and in the middle of a a tough reelection campaign.

People aren’t hearing what Collins is really saying. People seem distracted by her inconsequential statement that there shouldn’t be a vote yet. She actually says she supports moving forward with the process. That process naturally leads to a vote. While she may still say we shouldn’t be voting yet after someone is nominated (I think she will change her messaging when we get to that point) she isn’t going to abstain from voting.
She is saying she supports the process that leads to a vote and she hasn’t said she won’t vote to support. How could anyone read that and think that she isn’t fully onboard to support a Trump nominee?!? This is typical dishonest Collins bullshit.

People aren’t hearing what Collins is really saying. People seem distracted by her inconsequential statement that there shouldn’t be a vote yet. She actually says she supports moving forward with the process. That process naturally leads to a vote. While she may still say we shouldn’t be voting yet after someone is nominated (I think she will change her messaging when we get to that point) she isn’t going to abstain from voting.
She is saying she supports the process that leads to a vote and she hasn’t said she won’t vote to support. How could anyone read that and think that she isn’t fully onboard to support a Trump nominee?!? This is typical dishonest Collins bullshit.

Oh no doubt. To quote Theodore Roosevelt, she has the spine of a chocolate eclair. She's trailing her opponent by significant margins in her Senate race (a poll out this weekend shows her down a dozen points) and she knows damn well that if she comes out in favor of a vote before the next Senate session her chances are likely done. There should be no doubt whatsoever that at some point she'll fold like a house of cards and vote for whomever Trump nominates - either in the next session if she and Trump get reelected, or in the lame-duck session if Trump loses, and no matter if she wins or not.

She'll be full on crazy trumpublican if she loses. She basically is already.

They're going hard with that it's completely different if you have a different party in the white house and senate..... because that's the only thing they can go with

The problem isn’t necessarily this process. The problem is the blocking of the Garland hearing was devastatingly wrong, and I’m not sure how we come back from that. Our democracy is so broken.

The problem isn’t necessarily this process. The problem is the blocking of the Garland hearing was devastatingly wrong, and I’m not sure how we come back from that. Our democracy is so broken.

Yep.

Compounded by the fact that Republicans have ascended to power by utterly dishonest and destructive hyper-partisanship. In other words, their dishonest and dishonorable grasping for power has worked.

Thanks to gullible, brainwashed Republican voters.

If this seat is filled before the election and the Democrats win the presidency and the Senate, I'd say there's a pretty good chance the Dems eliminate the filibuster and expand the court by two seats to 11 to "rebalance" the court. The advantage would still be 6-5 conservative judges (with Roberts nominally there as a "swing" vote for historic decisions where he's concerned about his reputation) but it would be a political win for Democrats to get that done.

For the sake of being realistic, lets say they are going to hold a vote on the candidate and it ends up being like 51-50 with Pence being the tie breaker. I am curious at this point who it will be:

In one corner we have Barrett the darling of the far right Catholic coalition, who was reportedly pasted over for Kavanaugh because Trump wanted to save her for this seat.
In another we have Babs Lagoa, who apparently the Floridians are really pushing, by saying it will help Trump win Florida if he picks a Cuban woman from the there.
And finally we have dark horse candidate, Mother So Dear's very own Britt Grant, of the 11th Circuit.

Does Barrett get edged aside because the President's advisors think it will make the Dems look bad to attack a minority candidate? Will the Pubs push forward a Gorsuch type candidate in hopes of a Kavanaugh like response that will push moderates back into the Republican fold?

Because, lets be honest, the President doesn't care about jurisprudence, all he cares about is headlines.

Also, apparently Wake Class of '04 Allison Jones Rushing is on the short list. Aside from making me feel very unaccomplished with my own life in my mid-30's, she also has previously worked closely with Alliance Defending Freedom, which has been labeled a "Hate Group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Compounded by the fact that Republicans have ascended to power by utterly dishonest and destructive hyper-partisanship. In other words, their dishonest and dishonorable grasping for power has worked.

scbkrfzgfaqtoyh4arl3.jpg

ConnerEl with a great post and col anus provides a glaring example backing him up. Nice teamwork guys.

Back