• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Yep.

Compounded by the fact that Republicans have ascended to power by utterly dishonest and destructive hyper-partisanship. In other words, their dishonest and dishonorable grasping for power has worked.

Thanks to gullible, brainwashed Republican voters.

I'd say the odds of that happening are 95% if Trump loses and the Dems capture the Senate only to have Mitch and Trump vote in a candidate between Nov and Jan.

I'd be a bit surprised if it's a woman. Not that Pubs won't trot out a women who supports their values, when convenient, but I don't know that they trust a woman who has a lifetime appointment to vote the way they want because they have spent their entire life not trusting women. O'Connor was different because the nomination wasn't as blatantly partisan as it is today-you still had to give the illusion you wanted an independent voice.

The problem isn’t necessarily this process. The problem is the blocking of the Garland hearing was devastatingly wrong, and I’m not sure how we come back from that. Our democracy is so broken.

This. I don't know what the cutoff should be for appointing a justice, but 1/4th of the presidents term being off limits for an appointment is absurd. We're in the last 10% of Trump's term, which is clearly a much closer call, but if I was arguing with a principled person I could respect them claiming that it was OK to appoint someone now. Of course, "principled person" is a fairly hilarious notion when considering the other side.

Part of the problem is our long election cycle followed by a long lame duck period. Also Trump has been technically running for re-election since he was elected.

In theory, there's also nothing stopping the GOP from trying to pack the court in a lame duck session between November and January if they lose both the White House and Senate. It would be wild, but I honestly wouldn't put it past Trump to at least try nominating a tenth justice if he loses.

No- they can't because the Dems have the house. Court packing only works if you control both branches and the presidency.

The long lame duck session made sense I guess when everyone had to meet up by riding in on their fucking horses. Now a days it is once again a historical element that should have been eliminated long ago. If logic was involved it would throw a big wrench in the, election results need to be known on election night, plan since they aren't certified till a month later when everyone rides in on their horses.

The long lame duck session made sense I guess when everyone had to meet up by riding in on their fucking horses. Now a days it is once again a historical element that should have been eliminated long ago. If logic was involved it would throw a big wrench in the, election results need to be known on election night, plan since they aren't certified till a month later when everyone rides in on their horses.

nope nope nope. Original intent please!

I’m not sure what happens before the election. My gut would say trump seats another justice, because I’m not sure where the process would be stopped.

I would say with almost absolute certainty that Democrats winning the WH and Senate makes this confirmation in the lame duck session almost a guarantee. What could their consequences possibly be?

I love that we can all agree that the BoSiDeS !! nonsense argument of packing the courts results in a 6-5 conservative majority aka the exact same scenario we were in a week ago. Were roles reversed, is there any possible way that pubs just go to 11 with a center-left Chief Justice’s legacy being the stop gap?

I’m not sure what happens before the election. My gut would say trump seats another justice, because I’m not sure where the process would be stopped.

I would say with almost absolute certainty that Democrats winning the WH and Senate makes this confirmation in the lame duck session almost a guarantee. What could their consequences possibly be?

I love that we can all agree that the BoSiDeS !! nonsense argument of packing the courts results in a 6-5 conservative majority aka the exact same scenario we were in a week ago. Were roles reversed, is there any possible way that pubs just go to 11 with a center-left Chief Justice’s legacy being the stop gap?

This is where I'm at. Collins and any vulnerable Republican senator up for election can say whatever they need to between now and November. If they lose then what do they care? Just ram through a nominee during the lame duck session. If they win and Biden is elected then you'll hear something like Maine/NC/Colorado/MT decided they still want Republican representation so I'll vote for Trump's nominee.

Right on brand.

Good thread on how this will boost Dem enthusiasm.

That’s a good answer.

so Thomas and Breyer are the only two justices left from the 90s, what do we think they're gonna do? I would assume Breyer would retire if Biden became president, otherwise he will stick it out. Will Thomas try to retire before the election/possible Biden inauguration so they can ram in another justice? Otherwise I would assume Thomas will retire early in a second Trump term.

Back