• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

The appointment of Supreme Court Justices has stopped being a debate about qualifications, background, etc. years ago. It is now simply the minority party getting its pound of flesh with baseless claims and accusations. This week was no different.

Sorry, I don’t see the connection, educate me

This is kind of the point. Elite private schools are their own homogenous bubble. If that’s your only higher ed experience you’re missing so much real world experience.

The appointment of Supreme Court Justices has stopped being a debate about qualifications, background, etc. years ago. It is now simply the minority party getting its pound of flesh with baseless claims and accusations. This week was no different.

Is that how it worked with gorsuch?

This is kind of the point. Elite private schools are their own homogenous bubble. If that’s your only higher ed experience you’re missing so much real world experience.
Sorry, going to an elite private school does not preclude one from obtaining real world experience.

Is that how it worked with gorsuch?

Gorsuch got a lot of the hate from Garland never getting a hearing. Dems attacked a lot of his decisions as being pro business and against the little guy. Once again, he was qualified, two supreme court clerkships, 10 years as a circuit court judge. You can argue that he is an idiot or his interpretation is consistently wrong, but as resumes go, his was good enough to be on the court.

There are plenty of people qualified to be justices who went to non-Ivy League schools. Hell, getting someone from Stanford is at least outside of the Ivy League bubble.

I'd like to see justices who attended state law schools like UVA or UNC.

There's nothing wrong with Ivy League, but it also shouldn't be a requirement, which it seems to be.

Gorsuch got a lot of the hate from Garland never getting a hearing. Dems attacked a lot of his decisions as being pro business and against the little guy. Once again, he was qualified, two supreme court clerkships, 10 years as a circuit court judge. You can argue that he is an idiot or his interpretation is consistently wrong, but as resumes go, his was good enough to be on the court.

Aren’t his opinions consistently pro business and against the little guy?

I agree. If Garland hadn't gotten screwed and then the dominoes still fell Trump's way, Gorsuch would have been a solid candidate to take the Kennedy vacancy. I don't agree with him almost ever and I think he's far too close to special interests and FedSoc sycophants than a truly neutral justice should be, but he was eminently qualified for consideration.

Marjorie Taylor Greene: Meet your twin/clone/sister in partisan stagecraft — Marsha Blackburn.

It's true that MTG is lots louder. And certainly more spontaneous, almost always cringeworthy. But as the Southern saying goes, MGT "ain't got nothing" on Blackburn's arrogant posturing. (Yes, unlike Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, we did clean that up a little for a family newspaper.)

After two long days in the confirmation hearing of Supreme Court justice nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson, Blackburn had this burning, catty question: "Can you provide a definition for the word 'woman'?"

Some news reports described Jackson as appearing confused before she responded. We didn't see confusion. We saw a very smart attorney and judge looking at a grandstanding politician trying to muddy the water with one of the newest GOP tropes: transgender phobia.

I agree. If Garland hadn't gotten screwed and then the dominoes still fell Trump's way, Gorsuch would have been a solid candidate to take the Kennedy vacancy. I don't agree with him almost ever and I think he's far too close to special interests and FedSoc sycophants than a truly neutral justice should be, but he was eminently qualified for consideration.
The biggest problem with gorsuch is his connection to that natural law phooey. Y'all complain about the federalist society but you don't even know what goes down at the claremont Institute summer programs

I laughed my ass off when I heard Blackburn ask that question obviously working toward a line of questioning the much smarter KBJ wanted no part of.
Always amazed how politicians continually believe they are the smartest people in the room. Sadly, it is rare that any of them are but Blackburn, Cruz, Hawley and Graham lead the list of dumb SOB's.
I also never realized that being pro business was a reason to disqualify a SC nominee.

Last edited:
Pro business vs pro average working stiff

Think about the extreme wealth at the top (bezos) and the explosion of billionaires vs stagnant wages, un-liveable minimum wage, hidden fees, extremely high interest rates, overdraft fees etc.

You can be pro business until they prove they can't be trusted and then you gotta rein that in.

Sorry, going to an elite private school does not preclude one from obtaining real world experience.

giphy.gif

But it’s a rare few. Most head into a life of nepotism, cronyism and insider trading.

Lol "impeccable credentials" equals a NO vote.

Well, after that tough and relentless grilling from those intrepid GOP Senators revealed that she is connected to child molesters and Critical Race Theory and transgenders they had no choice but to reject her.

Back