• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

"The criminally unfit president that I voted to impeach should decide the future of the Supreme Court."

Really though, this shouldn't be a surprise. It'd be like expecting a Republican to vote against a tax cut for the rich.

No, the President who the Country elected in 2016 is picking another Supreme Court nominee, per the Constitution.
Frankly, I don't like it either but the Dems continue to pay the price of the debacle of 2016 election they caused.
The only other question I have now is will they do the same thing in November.

"The criminally unfit president that I voted to impeach should decide the future of the Supreme Court."

Really though, this shouldn't be a surprise. It'd be like expecting a Republican to vote against a tax cut for the rich.

No, the President who the Country elected in 2016 is picking another Supreme Court nominee, per the Constitution.
Frankly, I don't like it either but the Dems continue to pay the price of the debacle of 2016 election they caused.

I don't believe you.

Yep, this is Dems fault. Everything Trump does is ultimately the Dems fault.

So, are you still not voting? You can't sit here and blame a party when you don't vote. What about voting for Harrison over Graham? He's one of the most despicable of them all in all of this.

The whole problem is how dumb what the Republicans said and did in the first place is with Garland. It was an impossible argument to make but they did anyways so it an impossible position to defend now. Should Trump get to appoint and then have confirmed a justice, probably yes. However Obama should have as well, and more so because it was 8 months before not 1 month before. Somehow we are suppose to think in 2014 people were like man that Supreme Court we better elect some republican senators to make sure Obama can’t nominate a justice over the next two years. No fucking voter thought that, it’s just stupid and the worst excuse for republican fuckery. If you want to talk evil, McConnell is it and deserves the worst fate imaginable.

The whole problem is how dumb what the Republicans said and did in the first place is with Garland. It was an impossible argument to make but they did anyways so it an impossible position to defend now. Should Trump get to appoint and then have confirmed a justice, probably yes. However Obama should have as well, and more so because it was 8 months before not 1 month before. Somehow we are suppose to think in 2014 people were like man that Supreme Court we better elect some republican senators to make sure Obama can’t nominate a justice over the next two years. No fucking voter thought that, it’s just stupid and the worst excuse for republican fuckery. If you want to talk evil, McConnell is it and deserves the worst fate imaginable.

If you're the president, you get a justice on the SCOTUS. If your nominee is deemed not qualified by the Senate, pick another one. Bork was deemed not qualified, so they got another one but the seat was still filled. Garland was probably qualified but we will never know since he didn't get a hearing. Trump's nominee will probably be qualified and should be confirmed.

so Thomas and Breyer are the only two justices left from the 90s, what do we think they're gonna do? I would assume Breyer would retire if Biden became president, otherwise he will stick it out. Will Thomas try to retire before the election/possible Biden inauguration so they can ram in another justice? Otherwise I would assume Thomas will retire early in a second Trump term.

Breyer is 82. I don't recall really hearing any major health issues with him, but 83 is an advanced age. I wouldn't be surprised if his seat came open in the next term.

Thomas is only 72 - he was put on the bench when he was only 43 years old. It's not inconceivable that he'll be around another 10 years.

Yep, this is Dems fault. Everything Trump does is ultimately the Dems fault.

They are feckless and weak, yet all powerful at the same time. Works for me!

Guessing deacspop is still not planning to vote.

It wasn’t dumb. It worked. Republican had a plan to control the Supreme Court. Scalia’s death was a problem that could have derailed that plan. They fixed it.

Pop, the country’s rules elected Trump. The country’s people did not.

Last edited:

The fucking mental gymnastics it takes to blame the 2016 "debacle" of an election on dems is mindblowing. Need these old Pub boomers to just fucking ride off into the sunset already.

At this point the Dems should just let them get their justice before the election. It’s going to happen one way or the other. At least this way by letting it happen before the election it could anger enough people to ensure Dem presidential and senate victories.

At this point the Dems should just let them get their justice before the election. It’s going to happen one way or the other. At least this way by letting it happen before the election it could anger enough people to ensure Dem presidential and senate victories.

What alternative do they have? If McConnell wants the seat, they get the seat.

The fucking mental gymnastics it takes to blame the 2016 "debacle" of an election on dems is mindblowing. Need these old Pub boomers to just fucking ride off into the sunset already.

Hillary was very unpopular beyond her Dem primary base. It’s the truth. She lost a ton of Obama voters. Blame it on sexism, blame it on the FBI, blame it on Russia, whatever, just acknowledge the fucking truth.

Hillary was very unpopular beyond her Dem primary base. It’s the truth. She lost a ton of Obama voters. Blame it on sexism, blame it on the FBI, blame it on Russia, whatever, just acknowledge the fucking truth.

Blaming people who didn’t vote for Trump for Trump getting elected is pretty dumb.

If Biden wins and dems get the senate, then Breyer needs to retire on Jan 21st.

Blaming people who didn’t vote for Trump for Trump getting elected is pretty dumb.

If you voted for Hillary in the primary then it is your fault, because you knowingly supported someone who was hated beyond her base. Hillary shrunk the voting base, do you understand that? Literally any Democrat with a pulse could win California and New York. It’s a stupid ducking defense mechanism to pretend that Donald Trump had this dominating Electoral College victory when in fact he actually won with a smaller percentage of the vote than past winners.

Some close to Thomas have speculated that he will never retire, but will continue on the Court until he dies. Breyer will almost certainly retire if Biden wins. FWIW, here are the ages of everyone on the Court and their current length of service:

Justice Date of Birth Appointed by Sworn in
Clarence Thomas 6/23/1948
Served: 28 yr 10 mo
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Died 9/18/20 3/15/1933
Served: 27 yr 0 mo
Stephen Breyer 8/15/1938
Served: 26 yr 1 mo
John G. Roberts 1/27/1955
Served: 14 yr 11 mo
Samuel A. Alito, Jr. 4/1/1950
Served: 14 yr 7 mo