• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

If you voted for Hillary in the primary then it is your fault, because you knowingly supported someone who was hated beyond her base. Hillary shrunk the voting base, do you understand that? Literally any Democrat with a pulse could win California and New York. It’s a stupid ducking defense mechanism to pretend that Donald Trump had this dominating Electoral College victory when in fact he actually won with a smaller percentage of the vote than past winners.

well I didn't even vote in the primary. was in DC at the time and they had the last or one of the last, months after the nomination was locked up.

Hillary was a weak, unpopular candidate with an unappealing train wreck of a campaign. She lost Obama voters in swing states and in the rust belt, and it cost her the election.

No, the President who the Country elected in 2016 is picking another Supreme Court nominee, per the Constitution.
Frankly, I don't like it either but the Dems continue to pay the price of the debacle of 2016 election they caused.
The only other question I have now is will they do the same thing in November.

So Republicans nominated Trump. They voted for Trump and they nearly unanimously backed him no matter what horrible things he did as president.

Thanks 2016 Dems.

And Donald trump is a racist bigoted dumb sociopath. Anyone who voted for that piece of shit is to blame for this dumpster fire, not the people who voted for someone else.

Hypotheticals are always fun to argue about, but the only other Dem candidate in the mix in 2016 was Sanders, and regardless of how awful the Hilary campaign may have been, IMO, the United States was not going to elect Bernie Sanders as its President in 2016.

And Donald trump is a racist bigoted dumb sociopath. Anyone who voted for that piece of shit is to blame for this dumpster fire, not the people who voted for someone else.

My familiarity with sports tells me that when one team wins, the other team loses. That dumpster fire is within striking distance of beating us again.

Hypotheticals are always fun to argue about, but the only other Dem candidate in the mix in 2016 was Sanders, and regardless of how awful the Hilary campaign may have been, IMO, the United States was not going to elect Bernie Sanders as its President in 2016.

Whatever you need to tell yourself. It’s very possible that a left populist candidate would be more successful with the nationwide electorate than with Democratic Primary voters, but that’s a difficult hurdle to get over. Hopefully we’ll get to find out in the near future after seeing time and time again that “electable” Democrats are actually very difficult to elect.

If you voted for Hillary in the primary then it is your fault, because you knowingly supported someone who was hated beyond her base. Hillary shrunk the voting base, do you understand that? Literally any Democrat with a pulse could win California and New York. It’s a stupid ducking defense mechanism to pretend that Donald Trump had this dominating Electoral College victory when in fact he actually won with a smaller percentage of the vote than past winners.

C'mon man. Stop arguing about the 2016 primary.

Romney's in

The whole problem is how dumb what the Republicans said and did in the first place is with Garland. It was an impossible argument to make but they did anyways so it an impossible position to defend now. Should Trump get to appoint and then have confirmed a justice, probably yes. However Obama should have as well, and more so because it was 8 months before not 1 month before. Somehow we are suppose to think in 2014 people were like man that Supreme Court we better elect some republican senators to make sure Obama can’t nominate a justice over the next two years. No fucking voter thought that, it’s just stupid and the worst excuse for republican fuckery. If you want to talk evil, McConnell is it and deserves the worst fate imaginable.

This. I generally subscribe to the "to the victor go the spoils" concept with SCOTUS and the federal judiciary in general - you win the presidency and nominate someone "qualified" (ABA ratings are typically a really good indicator) they should go on the bench. I think Garland should have gotten a hearing and a vote and, but for Mitch the Turtle doing what he did in 2016, I would think that Trump's nominee likewise should get a hearing and a vote (I could see an exception in the context of vacancy being filled during a lame duck session where a new president has already been elected, but the president is the president until inauguration day) - and I think Biden was wrong in 1992 in suggesting anything to the contrary. However, both teams have to play by the same rules and because the Senate refused to take up the Garland nomination, I have no problem saying and don't think it is hypocritical to say that the Senate likewise should not take up Trump's nomination now.

C'mon man. Stop arguing about the 2016 primary.

You’re right, I don’t want to argue about the primary - I want to use it as a reference
It’s hypocritical for Democrats to say that they had no responsibility for Trumps victory in 2016 when “vote to defeat Trump” has been the only GOTV strategy for 2 straight elections

Democrats having a poor or incorrect strategy to appeal to the general electorate is a major problem that needs to be reconciled. When the primary winner is unpopular, that’s a failure of the primary process. Do you know how I know that? Because that’s exactly what has been said about George McGovern a million times. Problem being that Democrats apply that logic to the popular vote and not to the electoral college vote.

This should be obvious to any thinking person -- there are three things to blame for 2016: Every dumbass Republican who voted for Dumpster Fire; our shitty electoral college system; and every dumbass MDMHer who either voted for Trump or whined and stayed at home.

The same will be true this year if that shitbag is elected again.

meh, fuck it, fill the seat - not going to affect me or my life if sluts can't get abortions and rednecks want to pack guns I live in an affluent bubble

This should be obvious to any thinking person -- there are three things to blame for 2016: Every dumbass Republican who voted for Dumpster Fire; our shitty electoral college system; and every dumbass MDMHer who either voted for Trump or whined and stayed at home.

The same will be true this year if that shitbag is elected again.

And the DNC rigged the 2016 primary for a corporate shill. That didn't help. And they are doing again in 2020.

Lot of blame to go around.

This. I generally subscribe to the "to the victor go the spoils" concept with SCOTUS and the federal judiciary in general - you win the presidency and nominate someone "qualified" (ABA ratings are typically a really good indicator) they should go on the bench. I think Garland should have gotten a hearing and a vote and, but for Mitch the Turtle doing what he did in 2016, I would think that Trump's nominee likewise should get a hearing and a vote (I could see an exception in the context of vacancy being filled during a lame duck session where a new president has already been elected, but the president is the president until inauguration day) - and I think Biden was wrong in 1992 in suggesting anything to the contrary. However, both teams have to play by the same rules and because the Senate refused to take up the Garland nomination, I have no problem saying and don't think it is hypocritical to say that the Senate likewise should not take up Trump's nomination now.

After some thought on this over the weekend, i have pretty much concluded that the whole argument about whether it is hypocritical or not is beside the point. All politicians are hypocrites, of greater or larger degree. The bottom line is that in some alternative universe where Dems got the Senate in 2018 and impeached Trump and Pence and Pelosi was the president running for reelection against Don Jr. right now, Dems would absolutely no question be ramming through RBG's liberal replacement. The SCOTUS and appeals courts as currently structured are a to the victor go the spoils political tool. Pubs have understood this for a generation; some Dems may have understood it but wanted to pretend not to. The GOP is going to be completely ruthless in filling these seats whenever they can and if Dems want the courts to uphold their legislative priorities, they better learn to play the game better.

If we as a nation want the court to truly be a lofty nonpartisan neutral arbiter (which, given human nature, is probably an impossible goal), the whole system of how we get SCOTUS justices has got to be scrapped and re-done.

So do I start my all encompassing website of in home products that induce abortion now or wait a little while? Also for safer methods I assume I can prescribe and ship from the safety of a blue state and let shits states like Mississippi and Arkansas attempt to sue, in which I will never set foot in those state, and blue state can tell them to fuck off.

My familiarity with sports tells me that when one team wins, the other team loses. That dumpster fire is within striking distance of beating us again.

And the DNC rigged the 2016 primary for a corporate shill. That didn't help. And they are doing again in 2020.

Lot of blame to go around.

Bernie didn't lose, y'all. 200,000 dead from COVID-19. The country is burning. Republicans are preparing to strip away our rights. Instead of being mad at the assholes in charge, you all are still salty about 2016. You all are still mad that Bernie didn't win while completely absolving him of the responsibility of losing. Twice.

yeah I mean let's divide up the states, fuck it. I love it. Just like the weed dispensaries, out of state pays more for abortions. Let's make it 5x more. Scan your ID when you come in for your abortion.

Bernie didn't lose, y'all. 200,000 dead from COVID-19. The country is burning. Republicans are preparing to strip away our rights. Instead of being mad at the assholes in charge, you all are still salty about 2016. You all are still mad that Bernie didn't win while completely absolving him of the responsibility of losing. Twice.

Did you read the post I was responding to PH? I'm all in for Biden, but douchers like Shoo who blame everyone but the Democratic candidate and party for losing in 2016 aren't helping either.

Did you read the post I was responding to PH? I'm all in for Biden, but douchers like Shoo who blame everyone but the Democratic candidate and party for losing in 2016 aren't helping either.

none of that matters now. they're going to get their justice on the court. vote the assholes out.

Back