• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Which will ultimately amount to a meaningless gesture.

So is Roberts going to write his own opinion, go along with ending Roe, or try to put something together with the left?

I think it will be 5-3-1, with Sotomayor, Kagan and Breyer dissenting (with Sotomayor likely writing the “main” dissent - the other two may write their own dissents as well, and all 3 will join in all of the dissents) and Roberts writing an opinion concurring in the judgment (i.e., the statute stands), but not the reasoning (i.e., the statue is OK under Roe/Casey and Roe/Casey should not be overruled). Unfortunately, the 5 is the only thing that matters.

I think it will be 5-3-1, with Sotomayor, Kagan and Breyer dissenting (with Sotomayor likely writing the “main” dissent - the other two may write their own dissents as well, and all 3 will join in all of the dissents) and Roberts writing an opinion concurring in the judgment (i.e., the statute stands), but not the reasoning (i.e., the statue is OK under Roe/Casey and Roe/Casey should not be overruled). Unfortunately, the 5 is the only thing that matters.
If one more person joined Roberts, what would be the next result of a 4-3-2 vote?

If one more person joined Roberts, what would be the next result of a 4-3-2 vote?

While it wouldn't be the opinion of the court, the Roberts opinion would essentially control - Roe/Casey stand and so does the statute.

Seems like it shouldn’t be hard to make a simple case for government.

“In a capitalist country, government protects individual rights and the public good. Without government protections, wealthy people can do whatever they want to violate your rights for their own benefit.”

Yeah, the republic is ending. It’s been a descent run… the late 1960s though the late 1990s were good at least.

It is insane, but it's not surprising. There has been chatter and speculation ever since Trump started ramming through far-right federal judges in 2017 that severely restricting the ability of federal agencies to do their jobs would be a part of their agenda. Turns out the speculation was accurate.

Another decision by the Court today that unravels decades of precedent by no longer allowing appeals of state court ineffective assistance of counsel claims to be brought in federal court.

I know this is obvious, but they’re just blatantly not even bothering to follow the law anymore and doing whatever the hell they want to do to fulfill their ultra-right wing wet dream fantasies.

Back