Page 1 of 116 1234561151101 ... LastLast

Thread: the official new supreme court thread - Very political

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

So for those of us who don't know, what are we looking at here for the next few decades? Certain States can outlaw abortion? Hymen monitoring devices now allowed? 3/5ths of a person coming back? Solar Energy deemed unconstitutional?

How is life in America actually about to change? For the first time and first thread in the boards' history.... lawyer talk is actually encouraged.

People smarter than me...

Could the dems impeach kavanaugh based on his lies to congress? The huge number of complaints against him Roberts dismissed once he was confirmed?

I think you'd need a two-thirds vote in the Senate to remove any SC justice, and even if the Dems win a majority they won't have nearly that many seats, so the answer is almost certainly no.

Steve Lepore
    I'm going to try and stay relatively apolitical in this post, but there are some issues now at play in the immediate short-term.

First, I don't think the seat gets filled prior to the election. Murkowski supposedly (someone on Fox News mentioned this tonight) that she won't vote on a nominee until after the election (it was unclear if that meant after the election or after a new president has been inaugurated). Susan Collins is in a very tight race in Maine and her vote for Kavanaugh is a major issue in that Senate race, so I don't think she would vote prior to the election.

Now, if something comes to the Supreme Court with this election, we have eight justices. I think Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh vote as a bloc towards Trump. Same with Breyer, Kagan and Sotomayor. John Roberts has been the swing vote of the court lately; if he sides with the liberal bloc, we have a 4-4 decision in a case that might not have a legal precedent to side on. That could cause some major disruption in the case of a dispute in the election.

That being said, if Trump and McConnell do move ahead with a nominee, I see him nominating Amy Coney Barrett.

It's definitely that cross-eyed lunatic federalist cult member Barrett.

She's kinda hot, probably Trump's type.

There won't be a confirmation vote until next term. Romney, Collins, murkowski and mcsalley. There are more. Average Supreme Court nominations takes ten weeks.

But trump just got handed an issue and he is trailing. He will challenge Biden to name his nominee so this will be on the ballot.

I mean evangelicals were locked the fuck in already to vote trump in the hopes that RGB died so not much ground to gain there, itís also kinda sad how you think republicans have any morals to not hold a vote.

Want to put some money on whether it will go to vote Center?

Quote Originally Posted by centerdeac View Post
    There won't be a confirmation vote until next term. Romney, Collins, murkowski and mcsalley. There are more. Average Supreme Court nominations takes ten weeks.

But trump just got handed an issue and he is trailing. He will challenge Biden to name his nominee so this will be on the ballot.
    Yeah?

This is a. 200 year old controversy Read about the midnight judges and how it shaped American legal history.

Her polling must be in worse shape than I'd heard.

Never Murdered My FIL
    It blows my mind that people think republican senators will do anything other than fall the fuck in line. How much more evidence do you assholes need?

This is a. 200 year old controversy Read about the midnight judges and how it shaped American legal history.
    You think the current Republican Party gives any fucks about something that happened 200 years ago? They want to stay in power and they donít care how the fuck it happens.

Got to vote or confirm are two different things.

Rusty Larue
    Yeah- no. Not at all. There will be a vote before the end of October.

This aged well.

Romney, Collins and murkowski still all no. One more kills conformation.

Romney, Collins and murkowski still all no. One more kills conformation.
    Romney not a no.